9.10.2017

The Corporate Creative


I've had a few client discussions where they've asked how they can represent their creative spirit while working in a traditional corporate environment. The corporate work wardrobe mostly consists of classic cut jackets, pencil skirts, classic trousers, and other garments traditionally associated with that type of setting. However, in recent years, what was once considered the norm for corporate attire, has now evolved into a much more relaxed code of dress.

As a creative, who has been employed with both the traditional corporate and creative environments, I've had a great deal of experience in making a wardrobe work for my own relaxed and free-spirited personality. In other words, I had to learn how to marry the two opposing styles of dress. For today's style story, I'm wearing a Chico's ensemble which could easily live in both territories.

How the outfit translates to Creative Work -
  1. The mixed-media, faux leather front pants breaks from tradition and adds an element of edgy;
  2. An unstructured jacket that moves with ease;
  3. A whimsical, reversible top that gives two options (floral or dots); 
  4. Jewelry that isn't overdone, yet it still isn't traditional;
  5. The pastel pink moves away from traditional colors associated with corporate life.
 
How the outfit translates to Traditional Corporate Work -  
  1. Even though the look is made-up of separates, it coordinates into a traditional ensemble, and thus mimics suit dressing;
  2. A classic, dark color palette;
  3. Jewelry that while it isn't basic, it still has a traditional base;
  4. Clean lines create a classic, no-fuss look - a look that says, "I'm ready for work."
  
 Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Chico's. I received compensation in exchange for sharing with my blog public. Although this post is a partnership, all opinions are my own.

Outfit Details:
Oversized Clutch Bag also Courtesy of Chico's from last year
Polish is Ladylike by Essie




Wardrobe Update
  • Blazers are all the rage for fall 2017. However, if you're anything like me, I don't feel myself in a classic, straight-cut suit jacket, which makes me feel restricted. I much prefer something that has a drape, rounded shoulders, a shawl collar, and other feminine details. 
  • Soft pink is Hot Hot Hot!!!
  • Dark florals are BIG for fall/winter. Keep an eye out for them.



Reversible tank. Are you in the mood for a floral or dots?



 
Keep this in mind - when you're a creative who works in a corporate environment, it is possible to hold true to your artistic personality while still maintaining the traditions of a corporate office. Remember to relax your ensemble a bit by choosing garments with a drape instead of strict tailoring; wearing a color not typically associated with a corporate office; and adding details that sway slightly outside the box of restraint.

Before you go...

1) Check out the first issue of THE HARMONY REPORT. It went live on September 7th. Be sure to subscribe!
2) Enjoy my latest video now housed on the STYLE VIDEO GALLERY at STYLE with Glenda K. Harrison
 
3) Heartfelt prayers and concern to everyone who was in the path of Hurricane Harvey and Irma. Paypal has made it easy to donate funds towards disaster relief.
Stay True
Glenda
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Images are under the creative direction of Frederick Harrisonđź’—

4 comments:

  1. I love that reversible top and can totally see myself wearing it. Off to Chico's I go. :-) Your whole outfit is stunning and looks like it is so easy to wear and be comfy in. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth Ann! You'll love it. I'm going to have fun with it. It's nice to have options. I felt very comfy in the outfit. The fabrications are nice. Not to heavy, but just right. The jacket has a really good weight.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous jacket and how clever that you can have florals or polka dots on the blouse. Thanks for explaining everything so well. And I loved your video. I would have styled that floral skirt exactly the way you showed it at first, but it was so much better when you put the other colors on mute! I learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! Yes, the jacket is a real beauty. The weight is wonderful and the fabric feels like silk. A great piece to dress up or down. I'm going to enjoy this new addition in my closet. I'm glad you enjoyed the video!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda