3.09.2017

What's Interesting: Georgia O'Keeffe

Hi Friends, I apologize for being late with my midweek post. Typically I post What's Interesting on Wednesday, but amidst all the excitement of International Women's Day, I found myself on a collaborative photo shoot with an incredible group of women. What better way to celebrate such an empowering day than to be surrounded by inspiring females. So, one day late, I bring to you the latest addition of What's Interesting, which is a continuation of Sunday's Style Story titled, Santa Fe. I hope you had a chance to read Santa Fe, where I channeled "The Mother of American Modernism" artist, Georgia O'Keeffe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm intrigued by interesting people with incredible stories, especially when the person is a maverick, and has a depth that spurs me to dig a little deeper. Such is my attraction toward the remarkable artistry and style of Georgia O'Keeffe, a true pioneer who came west to find the perfect landscape that inspired her work and her spirit. 

While most wouldn't consider the overall style of Ms. O'Keeffe, I find myself entertained by the very subject of this brave woman in American history. In 1905, O'Keeffe began her formal art training at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and then the Art Students League of New York, but felt uninspired by her lessons that focused on recreating or copying what was in nature. As the story goes, while O'Keeffe was developing her own interpretation of landscapes, a good friend presented her work to art dealer and photographer, Alfred Stieglitz (she later married), who stated when viewing her work, "Finally, a female on paper."

Not only do I admire the art of O'Keeffe, but her style in its entirety. A perfect example of what true style represents, she managed to integrate all aspects of her life into a cohesive union. Her overall style was timeless, unique, and without a time stamp to a particular era in history. Her style was rooted within her essence and what inspired her life. I feel a kindred spirit with Georgia O'Keeffe. When I declared my connection with O'Keeffe with my friend, Mithra, she stated the following about our resemblance...

"Thoughtful reflection, plenty of solitude, and rigorous commitment to the routine of work."

But I'll go further to say...
"The routine of work is far more rewarding when you are basking in that which you love."
 Like Georgia, I feel the need to go beyond what is expected, and to blaze a trail of my own.

Georgia and I
Georgia O'Keeffe home and studio

To learn more about Georgia O'Keeffe, here is an interesting BBC Documentary titled, By Myself.



Stay True,
Glenda
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find So What to Twenty on the following Social Networks:
Ladies Join
Picture It
Pin to Win
Bloglovin
 
Photography under the creative direction of FD Harrison

6 comments:

  1. We gotta keep it up, woman! I mean, Georgia was like ninety-two and blind and still she painted every day. What a force of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work is what gave her life. She was truly doing what she loved. It wasn't work for her.

      Delete
  2. Georgia O'Keeffe most definitely had wonderful style: practical and chic and completely authentic. Of course you love her. You are so similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful documentary, so much to think about. She was 98 when she died but lived to the fullest all her years! Thank you for sharing this. Sincerely, freddie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Freddie. I'm glad you enjoyed her story. It was indeed very inspirational.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda