3.05.2017

Santa Fe

"There's something that's in the air. It's different. The sky is different. The stars are different. The wind is different."
Georgia O'Keeffe
By Myself (BBC Documentary)

My great love for the Southwest region is no secret. I love how the culture is intertwined with Native Americans, Spanish, and pioneers - people who were in search of something new. The people, cuisine, architecture, landscape, and fashions come together to form a happy, multi-cultural union. 

Lately I've been jonesing for a trip to New Mexico - Santa Fe in particular. I want to experience what the late great Georgia O'Keeffe spoke about in the BBC documentary. I want to see, feel, and smell the difference. When I gaze upward to the sky, will the stars shine brighter? Will the wind caress my skin in a more satisfying way? Will the scents cause my senses to dance to a new tune? I wonder.

Today's style story, though photographed in my homeland of Southern California, my location leads you to believe I'm in New Mexico. Shot against the backdrop of a succulent garden and an adobe structure, I decided to do something different and show the images in black and white - evoking the mood of a different place in time. Enjoy! 



  





Sartorial Savvy:
With New Mexico being the source of inspiration for this style story, it's befitting to showcase the fashion sense of Georgia O'Keeffe. O'Keeffe's fashion choices were a mixture of the Chinese practice of Zen, Southwest and androgynous. It's quite easy for me to create a look that marries the three. My fashion personality has a natural penchant for the Southwest, and minimalism. By simply adding in touches of tomboy with subtle, albeit important accessories, I was able to create an Ode to O'Keeffe in a Glenda sort of way. Here's how it's done:
  • Use natural fibers, 
  • Clean silhouette with uncomplicated lines and details,
  • Silver jewelry, and accessories that have an Native/Spanish artisan flair.



I hope you enjoyed this week's style story. Come back Wednesday for the next addition of What's Interesting. It will be a continuation of today's post. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Before you go...
  1. Please stop by Quintessential Style. Sharon White has done an interview on yours truly, called Would You Really Want to be Twenty Again? 
  2. Also, this Saturday, March 11th at 10:00am (PST) is the book launch party for True Style, in the So What to Twenty Facebook Group. From the comfort of your own home, you can join in! All you have to do is click here to join the Facebook group

Now Available on CreateSpace eStore and Amazon
Stay True,
Glenda
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find So What to Twenty on the following Social Networks:
Ladies Join
Picture It
Pin to Win
Bloglovin
Link Ups:
Fun Fashion Friday
 
Photography under the creative direction of FD Harrison

26 comments:

  1. My comment got lost. Again.
    I said this is funny. Ron suggested to take black and white photos this week and I said No can do. And here you are with a delightful post haha.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greetje! I love black and white images. They cause you to focus on certain parts of the image. Go for it!

      Delete
  2. Love, love this photoshoot and your own Georgia-inspired look. Thanks for linking up xox
    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! I love it when I need to channel someone. It's fun to set the mood.

      Delete
  3. I don't care what you wear...all of iT simply looks fab!! You wear clothes like they were meant for you..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamala, you hit the nail on the head. I only wear clothing that resonates with my spirit. Thank you so much, dear friend.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post darling!! I appreciate the quality of your writing as well! Huge congrats on your new book!! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tamera!

      Delete
  5. Great photos! Even though you're still in California it could have easily been New Mexico! Have a great week!

    Julia
    www.whenthegirlsrule.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia! I'm hoping to travel to Santa Fe this summer :)

      Delete
  6. Georgia O'Keefe was a maverick and so are you. Thoughtful reflection, plenty of solitude, and a rigorous commitment to the routine of work. Maybe that's the secret to bold statements that you two share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your words, Mithra! Thank you. I feel a kindred spirit with Ms. O'Keeffe.

      Delete
  7. Love the look! Black and white photos add a sense of drama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Haralee! I agree. And a sense of nostalgia for a another time.

      Delete
  8. What a chic look! You look so fabulous and I love the hat!

    Edwige | http://www.hypnozglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Edwige! The hat is quite a staple in my wardrobe. I do wear southwestern inspired clothing quite frequently.

      Delete
  9. You nailed the O'keeffe vibe and I truly thought you are in Santa Fe, very clever. Love every piece you are wearing .The black and white is a great choice, too, very film noir meets The great western outdoors.!
    Love it!
    Got your book!
    xx Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, you have such a wonderful, descriptive vocabulary. I love the film noir meets the great western outdoors. I loved this photo shoot. I enjoy channeling different people and how I believe they would feel at a particular time.

      Delete
  10. Just fabulous! You have a way of making us take a second look at our clothing choices and for that we thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Neti! I really enjoy doing what I do. I'm glad it shows.

      Delete
  11. Those of us who are fortunate to live here in the beautiful Southwest can completely understand Georgia O'Keefe's inspiration. My husband went to college in New Mexico after having grown up in New York. When her first stepped off the plane he said it looked like the moon to him. And now he just loves it. You have captured the spirit so completely. As always, so well thought out. PS. I got your book. Thank you so much. I love it! My very positive review will be up on Amazon, soon. Much love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why your husband made his comment. For myself, I compare other areas to the beauty of the Southwest. I love everything about it. I can't wait to read your review. Thanks again, Connie!

      Delete
  12. Stunning Glenda , your Glenda take on Georgia O'Keefe is just perfect. The shots are just wonderful in black and white, your clever photographer has outdone himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I agree. When I saw the images I gasped. I loved how my eyes are concealed in most shots. It leads to mystery.

      Delete
  13. More of this! I hope you do this topic again in the future. I love how you have interpreted southwest classic style without going all turquoise + Indian blanket + fringe! You look so great. I am moving from New England to Santa Fe and need some style inspiration to change up my conservative wardrobe without looking costume-y. I love that you tackled interpreting a regional style (and period) in clothing and making it look fresh -- hope to see you do this again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurrie! Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed my interpretation. I wear Southwestern looks often. If you go to my search tool on my left side bar, you can put in southwest and some of my other posts will show for you to visit. Like you, I enjoy subtle looks...somewhat of a wink in that direction.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda