2.05.2017

Drama Queen

I have a fun story to share...

This past Sunday, my sister and I spent the day at one of Southern California's largest vintage apparel shows. It was a day like no other. The weather was warm, the skies were crystal blue, and So Cal had its usual chill vibe - people were out and about, and taking in all the region has to offer. Besides spending time with my sissy, I was ready and eager to add some new vintage treasures to my collection. I had no idea what else was in store.

About two hours into our adventures in shopping, sissy and I decided we should take a break and grab a snack. While she thought I was walking beside her, I froze in my footsteps. Before me stood a man I had only seen in magazines, television or online, but there he was, examining swatches of vintage fabrics. He must have felt my stare. Suddenly he looked up and slowly turned his head toward me. Our eyes met. I mustered the courage to speak while choking back the tears...
"Are you Jeremy Scott?"
"Yes I am."
"Oh my god. Sissy! I urged my sister-in-law to look in his direction.
Just then, he came from behind the table and walked toward me. Now the tears were flowing. I had caused quite a commotion. Now others in the surrounding area were curious to why I was visibly moved.
"Are you okay?" I'm sure he thought I was a drama queen.
"Yes," my voice shaking. "I have been in love with fashion my entire life, and your work is so creative. I can't believe it's you!" 
Jeremy then asked my name, and gave me the biggest, warmest embrace imaginable. We posed for a picture (seen below), and with that quick moment, he completely made my day. I felt like a bird and I was flying high. You see, dear friends, while some may quiver at the sight of athletes or celebrities, I'm completely blown away by fashion designers. To see one of this magnitude, enjoying the same activity that I chose to enjoy, on the very same day, just blew my mind. Yes, I may have been a drama queen, but fashion designers are, in essence, my rock stars!

To play tribute to my drama queen antics, I have selected a top that will most certainly steal the scene. I hope you enjoy the pictures, and I would love to meet you below in the comment section. 


After meeting Jeremy,
I felt like a bird and I was flying high.
Outfit Details: Limited Addition KENZO H&M Mulberry Silk Blend Patterned Blouse Top Frill Sleeve (sold out in H&M. Some available on eBay); Flare Jeans: Loft (Sold Out); Sandals by Michael Kors; Clutch purse: vintage; Square Sunglasses: Loft; Polish is Ladylike by essie.  






  

Sartorial Savvy:
  1. Unless you have the high drama skills of Iris Apfel, or many of Jeremy Scott's clients, it's often best to let the statement piece - make the statement. 
  2. Subtle accessories don't compete with such a scene stealer; rather, they complement the look.
  3. Artistic pieces are great additions to a wardrobe. Especially when your life requires such adventurous garments. 
  4. This spring/summer it's all about the ruffle. Have fun with it!


 
 Sorry for the blurry image. Note to self: Never have sissy snap important pictures. 
Jeremy Scott and the Drama Queen


I hope you enjoyed this week's style story. Be sure to check back on Wednesday for another What's Interesting post. If you love the movies, like this Drama Queen does, you're going to love it - It's all about the Oscars!

If you missed the teasers for True Style: A Look Beyond the Surface, I hope you'll find time to visit them. The book releases this month!!!

Stay True,
Glenda
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find So What to Twenty on the following Social Networks:
Ladies Join
Picture It
Pin to Win
Bloglovin
Link Ups:
Visible Monday

 Photography under the creative direction of FD Harrison

25 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! So exciting for you! I'm happy you got to meet a style hero. And that ruffle sleeve blouse is THE MOST!!!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either, Naomi. He was just minding his own business. I stared at him for awhile before he looked over at me. I probably creeped him out. Yes, this top is quite a statement piece. I'm in love with it :)

      Delete
  2. How exciting! Great look you're wearing, too, and what a fun day to remember. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, it was a wonderful day, indeed; and thank you!

      Delete
  3. Love how you tell the tale, I'd already seen the photo on IG.
    I saw Jeremy at the Otis Fashion campus once, back in the late 90s, when he was a guest mentor for a class project. Not knowing who he was, I asked the office, "Who was that guy with the hippie hair and Mexican poncho?"

    You channel either Grace Jones or Tina Turner in that outstanding top! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, thank you for sharing the Netflix movie. I watched it as soon as you mentioned it. I still can't believe it was him. Just minding his own business. I caused such a scene. It's not everyday I bump into top designers.

      Delete
  4. Okay Drama Queen, unfortunately, I don't know who Jeremy Scott is but I do know that I love the wings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antionette. Yes, this top is quite adventurous. Jeremy is the top guy at Moschino, and he dresses all the young songbirds.

      Delete
  5. Glenda, you look amazing! So glad that you met Jeremy, I feel like both of you were blessed by the encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Stephannie. I still can't believe it. Living in So Cal, you spot celebrities quite a bit, but to see a huge designer doesn't happen very often. I'm still on cloud 9. I think he was shocked I recognized him.

      Delete
  6. You mentioned ruffles for the Spring, how does a top heavy person pull this off? Also tell us about the ring that you are wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephannie! Ruffles are popping up in all forms and every area of fashion. Which is great, you can incorporate it into just about any aspect of your wardrobe. For a top heavy person, you can wear a peplum top where the peplum detail is more ruffled, rather than simple. I have even spotted clutch purses with ruffled details. As for the ring. I purchased it from Anthropologie a couple years ago. It was when they were showing a Moroccan theme to their merchandise.

      Delete
  7. How fun! No doubt those designers spend a lot of time thrifting. Endless inspiration for them, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Mithra. Especially for him. His designs are far from ordinary.

      Delete
  8. Such a sweet story. How wonderful to meet a hero in your (fashion) world. Who embrasses you and you get to take a picture with him. Blurry or not.
    The top you are wearing is exquisite. I adore Kenzo but didn't buy anything in the H&M collection. I am just not a lover of standing in a queue. When I see this stop I am regretting it, although this one would not have suited me. But as an example of loviness it holds a promisie for the rest they sold.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetje, I'm not really big on the designer collaborations. I actually forgot about the Kenzo/H&M partnership. I came across this top on eBay and swooned. I love the bold, in-your-face look to it, and the exaggerated ruffled sleeves are major. The Kenzo designer wore the top with overalls and I thought it was so cool. I had to have it to simply wear with jeans. I'm glad I made the investment. It's definite WOW piece.

      Delete
  9. Great post. So glad you got to meet Jeremy! I felt the same way when I had a chance to meet Jean-Paul Gaultier at the NY Vintage Clothing show a few years ago. It was such a thrill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was very emotional. I think I'll hang out at the vintage shows more often :)

      Delete
  10. Love your Kenzo top Glenda, it is super on you. How cool to see and be hugged by Jeremy Scott !
    Wow!
    xxx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will NEVER forget the day, Elle! He was the nicest man. Thank you about the top. I'm crazy for the exaggerated sleeves.

      Delete
  11. This top is such a gem and you look Fantastic in it. Your posts make us all read and search Google LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neti, you always say the nicest things. I'm glad my posts inspire :)

      Delete
  12. What a great story. Now what I want to know is....when is he sending you one of his designs. Seriously. HE MUST DO IT. Come on, Jeremy. Step up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be cool, but I doubt that would ever happen.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda