12.15.2016

Destination Chico's: Fabulous (New beginnings)

I write this post to you with tears in my eyes. They're not tears of sadness, but tears of great satisfaction and joy. As many of you know, last April, with much reservation, I signed on to speak at the BAM (Bloggers at Midlife) conference in Las Vegas, Nevada. I bravely traversed into the world of public speaking because I knew, in my heart, something gratifying and fruitful as an author and style enthusiast would transpire. Little did I know the team at Chico's (who were corporate sponsors) had me on their radar. As I approached Chico's to receive my swag, what soon followed was a casual exchange of pleasantries between myself and their Public Relations Manager..."Let's talk when we return to our offices," she suggested, as she handed me her business card. This exchange then segued into a variety of events...my story appearing in the Chico's blog - Inside Chic; Chico's supporting Dress for Success Riverside (the cause I support) with an incredible fall fashion preview; and a year-end journey I lovingly dubbed, Destination Chico's, where I was invited to share my monthly favorite Chico's looks with you. 

I was completely surprised by their interest in me - a petite, barely 5 foot tall woman, with a proud head of silver hair, and yet, they said they found me to be authentic and unique, and would be great for their #HelloImFabulous campaign. Their words resonated with me deeply. For far too long my life was governed by the regulations of others. Now, at the age of 50, I was finally living life on my own terms; and I must say...It feels FABULOUS.

So today, this part of our journey comes to an end. We have come full circle and have arrived back at Chico's (Remember the Hello I'm Fabulous contest I hosted? This photo shoot is in the exact same location). However this ending brings about new beginnings. I'm excited to see what will happen next. So while this post conjures up deep emotions, it also brings into light the incredible journey I was able to take because I pushed my fear of public speaking aside. 

For today's style story, and the last stop in Destination Chico's, I wear an outfit I fell absolutely in love with. Because of its relaxed vibe, and bold contrast of color, it represents exactly how I feel - bold, relaxed in my own skin, and FABULOUS! I hope you enjoy the pictures, and as always, let's meet in the comment section below.

Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Chico's. I received compensation in exchange for sharing with my blog public. Although this post is a partnership, all opinions are my own.


Sunglasses were given to me by Chico's at the BAM Conference (no longer available); The backpack from TJ Maxx; Ankle Boots by Zara via eBay.



 
  








I leave this journey with an incredible wardrobe, and a thankfulness to Chico's for putting an extra exclamation point on a life that was ready to be lived in a most FABULOUS way😉

So that I can continue bringing you great content in the coming year, it is time for me to take my annual break for the holidays. I will return with another style story on January 1, 2017. In the meantime, you can connect with me via our active So What to Twenty Facebook group or Instagram. Happy Holidays!
Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find So What to Twenty on the following Social Networks:
Ladies Join
Picture It
Pin to Win
Bloglovin
Link Up:
Visible Monday
Photography is under the creative direction of FD Harrison

33 comments:

  1. You know how much I adore you. You know how much I adore Chico's. So I am thrilled to read your blog post about them. It's been a great ride for you with them and I loved seeing your beautiful self (inside and out) with their gorgeous clothes. YAY you, Glenda. I'm sorry to see it end, too. I looked forward to seeing what exciting news you had about them and you! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Cathy, you are so sweet and kind. Thank you my friend. I'm sad to see it end too, but I do believe again there is something fabulous around the corner.

      Delete
  2. I must say, you have such style and what a nice casual look for the winter season, have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Wayne! Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. This was such a great opportunity for you... especially as a women of color and over 50.... these opportunities don't come along that often for us... happy holidays!
    Lily
    http://www.lilyseymour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily! It's great to see a comment from you. You are so very right about less opportunities coming our way. Chico's has always found the beauty in seasoned women of all racial backgrounds. We can only hope for more retailers with the same philosophy.

      Delete
  4. Hello Ms. Bold, relaxed in your own skin, and EXTRA FABULOUS! You have been the Queen of destination Chico's and I can't wait to see where you go next. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Holidays to you, Neti! You are such a dear woman. Thank you for your always kind and motivating words.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures...a true model with class and confidence in your fabulous self! I remember your nervousness at BAM...and how you held us at attention with your eloquent words about your mother and your tribute to her through style and self love/uniqueness! Chicos found a gem in you and I hope you can continue in some capacity with them or another awesome brand. Happy Holidays to you and your handsome cameraman and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, wow, you've made me cry with this comment. I barely remember the words I spoke at BAM, but I'm so thankful my words touched so many. BAM was powerful, and I'll never forget it.

      Delete
  6. I have loved all of your Chico's looks and your relationship with them. Having been blessed to have met you at BAM I know that you have come a long way in your journey in just the past year and am so excited for what your next chapter will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth Ann! It was a blessing to meet you too. That was such an incredible experience. Such fond memories and great friendships were formed.

      Delete
  7. Great post Glenda! I remember your speech at BAM, wonderful speech and it was great meeting you. So glad we continue to stay in touch.
    2017 will be a fabulous year. Enjoy your holiday 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great meeting you to Kery...my fellow L.A. based blogger. We still need to meet for lunch and shopping. Let's make it happen in 2017!

      Delete
  8. I like the outfit as I am all for red, contrast and stripes. But I feel that the shoes make this outfit a little more masculin than I am used to from you. (Oh gosh this is the first time I think in all these years that I like to change something of your outfit.). It would however be a very stylish outfit for leasure time.
    And I hope you get other offers in the fashion world. You belong there.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, so sorry Greetje :( I really dig these ankle boots. I felt like a heel was too dainty for this. I like how the sturdy shoe anchors the look.

      Delete
  9. What an awesome read. You are so stylish, graceful and beautiful.I enjoyed your Chico's post. Looking forward to see where 2017 takes you. These pictures were so nice! Oh,what was that tan poncho in the window doing? I know, waiting for me. Haha!! Take care Glenda and enjoy your time off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thank you so much. I'm also excited to see what's ahead..new adventures and opportunities, for sure. Yes, the poncho is fabulous!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on all these well-deserved recognitions, Glenda. You are indeed chic and authentic, and fabulous (like that purse and jeans, wow). Thanks for sharing, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Patti, and Happy New Year!

      Delete
  11. I was the most fun to see your collaboration with you and Chico's. I wish you continued success and good fashion finds and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the outfit and , the stripes , bold colors and purse charm!I am so proud of you- as I have seen you on your journey and becoming your authentic self. This is a wonderful and validating time for you! Happy holidays and warmest wishes.
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, thank you so much. I appreciate your friendship. Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  13. And I was there when this part of your journey began. You are a fabulous brand representative for Chicos (one of my favorite brands! Good for you for stepping out! I admire you greatly and love how our paths have intersected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I believe our paths crossing was ordained. So thankful we both attended BAM. Happy New Year to you and your lovely family!!

      Delete
    2. Cathy, I believe our paths crossing was ordained. So thankful we both attended BAM. Happy New Year to you and your lovely family!!

      Delete
  14. Very pretty outfit. I owe it to you and your blog that I am shopping at Chico's on the regular now. And I will echo what Cathy says - your journey is inspirational to many of us. Here's to an even more exciting 2017!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mithra, I still remember our conversation at BAM. I'm so glad we connected. I'm looking forward to great stories of success regarding your project and much more!

      Delete
  15. Love your new Header, Happy new Year Glenda! I wish you only good things!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elle! I love the header too. Allison is a fantastic artist. Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  16. You are so fabulous and I'm glad I found you. Good luck in this coming year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda