10.09.2016

Mod Squad

For today's style story, as my source of inspiration, I've decided to take you back in time to the Michael Kors spring 2013 collection, which was the epitome of 60s Mod cool. In my opinion, this collection was a clever rendition of an era in fashion when history was filled with political uprisings, and sub-cultures were built around emerging art scenes. The garments were sleek, colorful, and cohesive, with each look forming a compiled oeuvre of ensemble-styled pieces. He paid full homage to an era in fashion history when the matchy-matchy style of dressing was met with high approval.

As another source of inspiration, I recently acquired an almost exact pair of the Carrie Spazzolato Leather Block-Heel Pumps featured in the Michael Kors fall 2016 collection (available at Saks Fifth Avenue). If you're now a part of the growing So What to Twenty community on Facebook, you would have seen me show the shoes during my Getting Ready for Fall Fashion on Facebook Live, in which I referred to them as my granny loafers. The shoe has a real Mod Squad vibe. Together, with inspiration drawn from the spring 2013 collection, and my interpretation of the Kors loafer/pump, my look comes together to give a nod to the mid 60s when a culture of modern jazz lovers created their own style now known as Mod. I hope you enjoy today's look and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


A sleek pair of tapered trousers, and a mock, striped sweater, are quintessential "Mod Styled" elements. Paired with popular accessories for this time, this look comes together to form a contemporary take on a style that was once worn by the 60s cool scene. If this look meets your approval, let me hear you snap your fingers. 

Outfit Details - Striped Sweater is Sag Harbor via eBay; Texture Tapered Ankle Pants: Courtesy of Chico's (last seen in a post called Sexy Cool); Bag, scarf and bracelet are vintage; Bandolino Block-Heel Loafers via eBay (Options: Michael Kors Carrie Spazzolato Leather Block-Heel Pump via Saks Fifth Avenue, or the Bandolino Odonna Block-Heel Pump at Macy's)




 




And now, the Michael Kors spring 2013 collection. Enjoy!


You may be wondering about the choice for this photo shoot. The area in which I'm photographed was once a thriving community during the 60s. However, like many cities, over the decades, it became plagued by crime, real estate values plummeted, and merchants abandoned the area for a more lucrative place to commerce. In recent years, the area has been going through a slow, but carefully calculated transformation, and now boast a resurgence in popularity as the Art District. Streets are now lined with galleries owned by Indy artists, lofts, cool eateries, vintage shops, and tucked away music venues. It is, once again, turning into a thriving community where the hip and cool conjugate - a definite spot for the Mod Squad {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin or Facebook or Instagram or Pinterest
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe and Tell
Photos are under the creative direction of FD Harrison

20 comments:

  1. This is great stuff and I adore those shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naomi, I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

      Delete
  2. Great shoes. Why do you think of them as granny loafers? I remember that era so well and always watched the Mod Squad! Looking back at old photos of the time, I wonder what we were thinking, but at the time we thought we were coo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, actually it was Gucci who referred to them as Granny Loafers. I'm just using their term. Probably because of the sensible heel. I still look at the pictures and say, Wow, what cool clothes. I wasn't born until the late 60s, but I still loved the fashion history. I remember my vaguely, my Mom looking so cool with big sunnies and a scarf tied in her hair.

      Delete
  3. Mod and fabulous, Glenda. Love the loafers. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the whole idea of mod... I like to think that I, too, can pull off a mod loook. Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my yes the stripes! What no low slung belt??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to keep the look more contemporary, Haralee. I wanted the style story to relate to both decades - present and the 60s. I give more details on Facebook on the Beyond the Blog post.

      Delete
  6. Love the new site Glenda! Your looks today is a perfect balance between mod and sleek! Love the head scarf, and the shoes are awesome.
    Someone has been clicking "buy it now" at all the right times!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elle! I'm obsessed with eBay, and Buy It Now makes life so much easier.

      Delete
  7. Rocking wear..this style is hip and funky with a casual approach. Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamala! I like the way it came together.

      Delete
  8. The bandana in your hair. What a perfect touch. Definitely Mod Squad. And those shoes and the striped tee. I having a flashback! You always have the most spot on styling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! Aren't accessories amazing. Without them, it would be a simple striped sweater and white pants. The accessories complete the story.

      Delete
  9. My favorite colors, and comfy looking loafers. A nice look! But most of all, I loved the purse. Nice flashbacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alana! The purse was an old vintage find. I paid $3.00 for it because it was actually damaged. I fixed the issue with no problem. And yes, the shoes are VERY comfy.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you Lois, it was fun re-creating it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda