10.30.2016

Classically Trained

I guess one could say, in the field of fashion, I'm classically trained. My passion for clothing and how it relates to our personalities and lifestyle began as a young girl. While sitting attentively, I watched my traditional mother dress for certain events. For a night at the theater, she would often select one of her perfectly tailored little black dresses (LBD). Her perfume of choice was usually Lauren by Ralph Lauren. She often wore classic cut pumps, and her jewelry selection was always pearls, either alone or with a combination of gold, and a sophisticated gold watch with diamonds.  She always looked expensive and well thought out. Her wardrobe was one of timeless classics, and treasures gifted to her by others. Like most young girls with a fashionable curiosity, my first education began within my mother's closet - trying on her adult-sized garments and shoes while pretending they fit; wearing her hats, gloves, and jewelry and imagining myself as a grown woman. My pretend fashion show would go on for hours. This was my fun, and delving into my mother's classic wardrobe became the gateway to my decades long passion for fashion and style. 

And so, it goes without saying, some things never go out of style: A perfectly tailored jacket, the crisp white shirt, blue jeans, the LBD, etc. The list of classics is one that rarely needs to be defined. The items that enter into this pinnacle of fashion classification are timeless pieces that are often recreated, and updated over and over again, without loosing their genuine character.  It's astounding how one can reach back several decades for a classic piece and find that it is still relevant for today. Recently I shared with the So What to Twenty Facebook group some of the pieces from my vintage glove collection (I'm wearing a pair in today's style story). I've been collecting gloves since my teenage years, and many of them are dated in the 50s. I love wearing my vintage pieces with modern because they have a way of bringing a bit of polished refinement to my ensembles. 

Lately I have been feeling a bit of nostalgia for my mother - the woman, whom without knowing, gave me my first training in fashion. So for today's style story, I decided to deck myself out in head-to-toe classics. I hope you enjoy today's look, and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


My look for today is a mix of vintage and modern classics that seamlessly come together to form a happy, classic union. The look has a hint of equestrian, with a touch of Victorian era (demonstrated by a nipped at the waist jacket and a button down the back-high neck top), and city chic combined into one classically trained look.

Outfit Details - Velvet Jacket is by Milly Bergdorf Goodman via eBay; Petite Curvy Skinny Jeans in Dark: LoftCotton Stand-Up Collar Top: H&M Conscious Collection; Hawley Engraved Buckle Belt: Anthropologie (on sale); Leather Driving Gloves are vintage (options on Amazon.com); Classic Leather Boot by Nine West via eBay; Sunglasses courtesy of Chico's (sold out); Lipstick is Cherry Pop Lip Colour by Clinique: Sephora.



  







So, what makes a Classic a Classic? Classics are mainstays in fashion that have earned a definitive role in our history and lifestyle, and have the ability to transcend decades. Though the defining articles remain the same, classic items do have the ability to evolve and transform, with the roots of the item remaining grounded within the elite grouping. As an example, like all jeans, the pair worn in today's post evolved from the classic Levis, but with current fashion and cultural trends, and practicality, blue jeans began to transform into various styles, shapes and forms. Their history is grounded within the original Levis, but they have evolved into various types. Now I would love to read your thoughts on the subject {wink}


The conversation continues on Facebook in the So What to Twenty community!
Join the conversation HERE
Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find Glenda on the following Social Networks:
Link Up:
Photos are under the creative direction of FD Harrison

20 comments:

  1. I am a classic girl through and through. It started with admiring fashion in my favorite movie genre, the 1930's and 1940's. I have love the look you show today as the jeans with a blazer is one of my favorite casual go-to's. The texture of your blazer is great with the jeans. I just love the pulled together looks that you get with classics. I always feel feminine and chic!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I believe classics are the foundation to smart wardrobe. They epitomize good taste. I just posted a video from Rear Window - the scene with Grace Kelly in the iconic green suit. We're going to talk Classics for the entire week! I found this blazer on eBay. It needed absolutely zero alterations. It fit perfectly. I love it because it seems to add a bit of elegance to everything I pair it with.

      Delete
  2. I was also trained in the field of Fashion and it allowed me to pick and make a better decision upon how I want to look. I like the fact that I can choose the right blend, color and so on to to bring my look together. If I may, you truly inspired me to if anything to get back to my roots and enjoy fashion once again, have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wayne, wow, how cool. It's nice to know that I'm also inspiring men. It's funny how many in society view fashion as shallow, when it fact, it is very powerful. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Looking good Glenda! Love the classic outfit!
    Kery B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classy, classic with your own twist what could be better.That jacket is quite something , love the style on you. As a fellow glove collector these are so special and add that perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, for some reason I had you pegged as a glove collector. I guess it's a certain person who appreciates them. I'm amazed by the jacket. It required zero alterations. I believe this is my buy of the year.

      Delete
  5. It is those little details that count: white cuffs, leather gloves, interesting buckle - love it
    https://lookingfabulousat50.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! Those little details takes it from bland to interesting.

      Delete
  6. You look Great and the health update is Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad your health update is positive. I love your classic meets funky cool vibe. The details are what makes this look for me. Thanks for the inspiration! Peace, blessings, love, joy and grace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit. It is bad ass with classic. It is highly fashionable (velvet jacket), figure flattering and modern. Again well done.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda