9.01.2016

Unique

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland

It's much easier to try to become someone else than it is to put in the work to discover yourself. Right? I mean think about it, the labor has already been done. No pushing required. All you have to do is sit back and copy exactly what the other person is doing, and Tah Dah...you've become that person. With all of us traveling the fast lane on the information highway, it's super easy to become mesmerized by another. With just a little scroll on our devices, we can see their carefully crafted world right before our very eyes, 'Oh wow, look at her in that fabulous career. I want that.' But is this really what we want to do...copy some one's life? Sure, it's perfectly fine to admire others, but when we try to step into their life without knowing our own likes and dislikes, or understanding each person has their own personal journey; well, this can be a recipe for disaster. Trust me. I've been in that awful place, and it stinks! And besides, a copy is just a copy. It is a one dimensional illusion that is incapable of satisfying the full scope of the object it tries to mimic...the heart, the mind, the soul, the experiences and history that makes it so very unique.

My advice - Be your UNIQUE self because it's far more rewarding. Like the beautiful butterflies and their uniquely designed wings - be unique. When you succumb to mimicking another person, you'll always be several steps behind as you run a race to catch them. In essence, I just squashed the idea of copying being less work. The constant chasing after someone sounds grossly tiresome. And, what will the reward be? The pleasure of saying you're just like (fill in the blank). Like Judy Garland stated in her much reverenced quote - it's far more gratifying to be a first-rate version of yourself - the unique, magical wonder called You.    

Today's style story is a look that gives a narrative to some of the many layers that make up Glenda - classic, womanly, bohemian, whimsical, and a tad-bit irreverent. I hope you enjoy the pictures and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


Getting dressed with no other motive in mind but to please myself. An ensemble composed of all the fashion elements that make my heart sing - A classic, black, bell-shaped midi skirt, a frilly top, and whimsical accessories, all come together to form a perfectly coiffed Glenda look - a look not derived from recent trends, but carefully orchestrated around a unique, flea market find - a butterfly handbag.

Outfit Details - Skirt from is H&M from a few years ago; Ruffled V-Neck Tee: Anthropologie; Gold Sandals: Banana Republic via eBay (similar Pelle Moda 'Isabel' Crystal Embellished D'Orsay Sandal at Nordstrom); Carol Belt: Courtesy of Chico's; Thumb Ring from the Grace Ring Set: Courtesy of Chico's; Butterfly Handbag from a vintage flea market; Polish is Chicago Champagne Toast by OPI






  
   


Many of you are aware of my desire to live my life according to Glenda, as I have discussed it with Chico's on the Inside Chic interview, and in my inspirational memoir called - A Place Called Peace. Chapter six is called The Purpose of Butterfly Wings, and without giving the contents away, it chronicles my experience when I first became keenly aware of my unique butterfly wings (gifts). I hope you'll find the time to unfurl your wings and discover A Place Called Peace {wink}

But wait...there's more!


Being the fashion/style contributor to GRAND Magazine has its perks because you're YOUnique!

In honor of National Grandparents Day -  Sept 11th we are making GRAND – The Online Lifestyle Magazine for Awesome Grandparents available to all comers for FREE ($12 value). The offer expires on October 31. Here is the link www.grandsub.com And don't forget to read my style story - Fashion Personality 101

*Disclaimer: The views expressed in this publication do not necessarily reflect the view of the creator of So What to Twenty!*

And finally, if you missed the last post - Destination Chico's: Boho Lux...I hope you didn't, but if you did, If you live in Southern California, join Chico's and myself as we support Dress for Success Riverside with the
Shop Chic for a Cause - Fall Fashion Premier!
For just $10 you can support this worthy cause. Tickets available HERE at Dress for Success Riverside.


Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
 You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
 Shoe and Tell
 Photographs are under the creative direction of F.D. Harrison and are the property of So What to Twenty!

26 comments:

  1. I Love this post and that come hither pose of you (#6), showing the sexy back of your top is just Extra Fabulous and so Glenda. Enjoy it all my dear. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neti! Yes, I like that picture too. Such a fun top.

      Delete
  2. Hello, you know just how to wear it just right, with a dash of wonderful and an extra dash of classic and wonderful style, have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wayne. I appreciate your sweet words.

      Delete
  3. This post really took me back. The only time I tried to be someone else was when I saw Romeo and Juliet when I was very young. I had to become Olivia Hussey! I had the hair, bought the makeup and copied her mannerisms. And she was playing a fictional character!! That was fun for a young girl, but I've never done it since. You are so correct about being your own unique self. Nothing else will feel quite right, and who wants to be a fraud? And envying someone else? That leads to misery. How wonderful to put together pieces of clothing that feel so you! I can imagine how your heart sang when you found that handbag! Love how the ruffles fall on the top! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! As always, you leave such interesting comments. I appreciate them very much. In many instances, people don't take the time to discover their own natural talents or gifts for various reasons. As you remember in my book, I fell in that trap of trying to become someone else because I thought it would please another. I see it time and time again, and speaking from experience, I felt miserable, and like you stated...like a fraud.

      I found this handbag several years ago at a vintage flea market. One of my favorite places to visit. The bag is so fun to carry. I always feel UNIQUE when I use it :)

      Delete
  4. The handbag is gorgeous as are the clothes. I've never tried to be somebody I'm not. Couldn't be if I wanted to. When I was young I looked like a younger much less disapaited Janis Joplin. If anybody said that in my parents house my parents would want to kill them. Finally when I was 28 people were allowed to say it. I had no idea they knew about the curse of 27, but I guess we always think our parents know nothing current...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pia, you are very fortunate to have such strong conviction and lived your life according to you. I was 48 when I finally started living for Glenda.

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous outfit. And a magnificent message. I started early trying to impress on our kids to be who they wanted to be, not what they thought others wanted. It has taken me a long time to be comfortable with that very advice... Ps-that purse is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Coming from an environment where I was always compared and never quite measured up, I also adapted the same parenting wisdom as you. I don't want my sons to live a life that isn't theirs.

      Delete
  6. It isn't always self-evident when we are chasing someone else's rainbows instead of our own. But the older I get, the more quickly I can catch myself out in that lie before things get out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mithra, you're so right - it isn't always evident. I wrote this post in hopes it would jar persons if they are, in fact, doing what you say...chasing someone's rainbow. You are a wise woman.

      Delete
  7. As difficult as it was to sign up for a magazine devoted to Gandparents (I know that I'm old enough to be one, my kids just aren't ready to be parents yet. Yikes! What a thought!) I'm so glad that I had an opportunity to read your article. You really know how to articulate your own style and I have no doubt that many people found this helpful and inspiring. You are becoming quite the celebrity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same, Connie. I'm the age of a Grand, but my son's are teens, and I hope it'll be a long time before they make me a grandmother.

      I don't feel like a celebrity. On occasion someone will recognize me. Then I'm completely embarrassed. Nonetheless, I hope people are inspired by what I represent. You rock, Connie!

      Delete
  8. A wonderful outfit, and message. Comparison is the thief of joy, it's said - and I've found that so true. Be your own marvelous self. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti!
      I found it to be true as well, Patti. I never want to go down that road again, and it makes me terribly sad when I see others on that same road.

      Delete
  9. What a great find in that butterfly handbag! Nobody else will have that special touch.
    Leah from www.thriftshopchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leah! It is quite precious. I'm sure glad I found it :)

      Delete
  10. Love the purse. It is easy to see it as your inspiration for your fashion to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your sassy and encouraging attitude and deft writing. That butterfly purse though!!! 😍👏👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi, thank you so very much. I really appreciate your kind words, and your attention to my writing :)

      Delete
  12. Glenda,
    I love this look, at a glance I can say yes, that is Glenda! You know yourself so ell and are so authentic. It is a pleasure to see what you choose to wear. Love this look, the sweet top and gorgeous bag, and perfect shoe and smile! Love the quote too- how true! Butterflies, Yes!!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elle. I feel the same about you - what a pleasure it is to see you and your stylish New York life.

      Delete
  13. Forgot to leave a comment. I love how you incorporated the silver in this outfit. And of course your bloved butterflies.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda