9.21.2016

Take a Stand

If you read my inspirational memoir, A Place Called Peace, you discovered I lost my beloved mother to pancreatic cancer. My mother was my champion, my mentor, best friend, and the woman who I aspired to become. Though her battle was swift and brutal, she managed to fight cancer with such beauty, dignity, and grace. Her fight left such a heart-wrenching statement on me, in 2007 I felt led to launch a not-for-profit organization called, A Daughter's Heart. After witnessing my mother's inspirational fight, we adopted the tag line - If you have to fight cancer...Fight it beautifully. The mission of the cause was to partner with hospitals to provide love and support (friendship and financial) to women who've heard the unfortunate diagnoses, "You have cancer."

I was finally able to bury my mother in my heart, and I knew she would want me to live my life. I gave up the work of A Daughter's Heart to live my passion of inspiring women through my writing, however never letting go of the desire to uplift and support women in various ways. When I was contacted by eye-bobs to Take a Stand and join Katie Couric, Veronica Webb, Nina Garcia, John Slattery, Bryant Gumbel and others to Stand Up To Cancer, it was met with zero hesitation. Eye-bobs is introducing a limited-edition frame in two colors, “Take A Stand,” to benefit Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C). Co-founded by Katie Couric in 2008, SU2C raises funds for collaborative cancer research that gets new treatments to the patients who need them quickly.  When you purchase a pair of the "Take a Stand" readers, eye-bobs will donate 20% to Stand Up to Cancer, accelerating research into life-saving therapies.




To purchase your "Take a Stand" readers, please click Stand Up to Cancer



Will you #standwitheyebobs and join us to raise funds for life-saving cancer therapies? Thank you.

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:

18 comments:

  1. I've lost three relatives to pancreatic cancer, and my best friend from childhood died from cancer last September. I will certainly spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, thank you for sharing your hurt with me. I know how devastating it is...a pain that you'll never forget. I had to adopt this way of living - When you have a great pain, you need a greater purpose.

      Delete
  2. i lost both of my parents to cancer and my sister is currently battling breast cancer for the second time. but much like you stated here, my mother was such an inspiration in how she handled it with amazing dignity and grace (and a fabulous sense of humor). love the eye-bobs! thank you. i participated in a SU2C thing a few years ago. got a special leash for my much-photographed woof and promoted through my own media brand. great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about your loss. As you know, I know what is feels like to lose the person(s) closet to you. It gives a relief when we're able to contribute to a worthy cause.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful effort. The SU2C cause is an important one to me, as well. My mom is a cancer survivor. Thanks for sharing this eye bobs campaign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, your mom is a survivor. I love to hear that word!

      Delete
  4. I am losing my sweet sister-in-law , ( in hospice care now ) , after a brave , mighty battle 8 year battle with ovarian cancer. This is a no Brainerd for me . 💔😔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I pray she has a peaceful journey. And peace to you and your family.

      Delete
  5. I work in a cancer center and am in daily contact with the brave men and women who are battling cancer. I fit wigs and try to encourage women (we do Look Good Feel Better) in their journey. Such a rewarding thing to do. My "day job" is in administration, but my volunteer work with the patients has changed my life. This is such a good cause and cute readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a great satisfaction in giving back to others. Your time with LGFB is very precious, Karen.

      Delete
  6. I am a two time cancer survivor so I know this is good work. During treatment I felt like a science experiment. I felt scared and ugly and fragile. Anything that made me feel even a little bit pretty and less like a patient gave me such a boost of confidence. This fight is huge but it is the little things that keep us going. Thank you for all that you do, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing with me, Connie. I'm thankful you're still with us.

      Delete
  7. You don't only contribute to the good cause, they look smashing on you as well. I was thinking that before I read your story. And I was thinking "my goodness, this women just doesn't have one wrinkle... what a genes."
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great cause. Every bit counts. I have smile lines, but because I smile often, you don't see them :)

      Delete
  8. The post is just fantastic! Have a nice day:)

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! How lovely of you to do this and yes, those glasses look great. I give to cancer research every year: my dad and brother passed away from cancer, so it means alot to me too!
    thanks for sharing this! a noble thing to do!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when your father passed away. So many of us have been affected by cancer. It's good to give back.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda