9.10.2016

Fun

I always enjoy Fridays. This is typically the day I set aside to relax away from work; indulge in the Southern California lifestyle; explore a new place to dine; educate myself...you know...just have fun! This past Friday, with the hubs involved in working on one of our cars, and sons busy with school, I found myself alone...but in a good way. Trust me when I say - the alone time was needed. It had been a stressful week. To combat the irritants I decided to wave my surrender flag by heading into Pasadena to watch an Introductory film called The Art of Norton Simon at the Norton Simon Museum of Art. For one, I had some 'me time' and two, if you haven't discovered, it's fun for me to stay immersed in the world of art (a scene that thrives in So Cal). I especially love art when it involves world history and how it intersects with fashion. Though this particular film didn't connect the two, I still thoroughly enjoyed learning how Mr. Simon began his immense journey into art collecting. 

As I exited the house for my journey into Pasadena, my husband removed himself from under the car, wiped oil from his face, smiled and said, 
"You look fun - like an artsy school girl."
"Well good, since I'm going to have fun educating myself in a bit of art history."
I love being with my people - the creative types. There is always clever conversation, entertaining personalities, and a deft to how one presents them self in clothing - it's usually skillful, yet it requires quite an imagination - an imagination that takes one outside the box of regulations and into a realm of creativity and fun. For today's style story, I decided to adopt a look I personally witnessed at the Monique Lhuillier fall 2016 runway show during Fashion Week El Paseo (see my post - Here Comes Lhuillier). Lhuillier decided to add a bit of whimsy by showing many of her looks with ankle socks (see images at the end of this post).  So, for my day of art education, I decided to style myself around a pair of fun socks. I hope you enjoy today's look, and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


Outfit Details - Steve Madden Tempesst Platform: Amazon; Polka Dot Socks: Loft (from past seasons. More options at Amazon); Essential Tank Top: Loft (other option is the Microfiber Contemporary tank at Chico's); Cardigan in a soft Chartreuse via Gap Factory (Option is the Bernadette Cardigan at Chico's); Full Midi Skirt via H&M (Option is the Eliza J Pleated Faille Midi Skirt at Nordstrom); Ring on thumb is part of the Grace Ring Set: Courtesy of Chico's; Clutch is vintage; Rhinestone chain belt: Amazon





 




Monique Lhuiller fall 2016 - Photo by Fred Harrison

Monique Lhuiller fall 2016 {source: Vogue.com)

During my time at the Norton Simon I had a conversation with a woman who studied art history. She asked me what brought me in to see the film. I explained my background and education in fashion. For which she replied, 
"I could have guessed by the clothes you wear."
"I like to express myself through dressing," I replied
"There is a wit about your choice, but I can tell there is a seriousness too."
I responded to her comment with a reassuring smile. Like I've stated in a previous post, when fashion is used to express the entire essence of a person, it becomes a method of symbolism, or iconography. A close observation would reveal the most intimate details about a person...cultural, social, elements of history, and much more. My day was both educational and fun. I returned to my humble abode ready to create this post {wink}

Hey Southern Californians - Did you get your tickets?
Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe and Tell
 Photographs are under the creative direction of F.D. Harrison and are the property of So What to Twenty!

29 comments:

  1. I couldn't pull it off but like it on you Glenda. I love that cardigan especially, it's the yellow obsession I have! The socks are fun, and I believe California in general is a little more progressive than the little town I live in! I'm good with my corner of the world, but observe that many women just don't bother to stretch themselves that way. As a lover of fashion, I stretch, and often stand out. You can really pull this look off and it is definitely how to show your creativity and artsy side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I lived in the Midwest for a brief time. I got lots of stares, and questions like...where are you from? Which led me to believe I stood out in a particular way.

      California is very arts driven with the film, music, fashion, visual arts, etc. On any given day there is a cool event taking place. I wish I could attend them all.

      This look isn't for everyone, I agree. But then again, it shouldn't be since fashion should be an expression of our unque selves.

      Delete
  2. So glad you were able to get out and enjoy some "me time". I really need to get better about that. I saw a lady eating breakfast by herself this morning and I wished that I could do that. I mean, I don't know her circumstances, but I sit in my truck and eat rather than eat alone. So weird given that I'm an introvert and prefer to be alone {but that's another story}.

    Anyway, love the outfit. I'm a socks and skirts kinda girl too and I love expressing my creativity {and showing my quirky personality} through my clothes. That brocade skirt in the last picture? Love it with the sparkly socks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also an introvert. There's something empowering to me about eating alone in a restaurant. It tells the world I'm comfortable with me.

      The Lhuillier fashion show was beautiful. Her mix of textures had my mouth watering, and the socks sent me over the edge. Like you, Daenel, I love to use clothes as a form of expression and communication.

      Delete
  3. I love the outfit and love even more that the hubs complimented you. I agree- fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Naomi! He's pretty good at saying the right thing ;)

      Delete
  4. You are so right with those last sentenses. This combination of yours (black/white+bright colour) is my favourite. The way you styled it, defines the difference between you and me. Not in a million years would I have thought or wanted to wear socks. Or worse, socks in sandals. And then I see you and think: ohh, that looks sooo good. It brings the outfit to the next, modern level. As I have said many times before: you are very good at styling dear. Wish you were my neighbour haha.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning your distaste for socks. I always think of you, Greetje, when I wear socks. This look isn't for everyone. It takes a certain connection to pull it off. Like the woman stated, "It has a wit and seriousness about it." I like her theory. And thank you. If you and I were neighbors it would be great fun!

      Delete
    2. The only draw-back of blogging. You meet women you really, really like and you can never be with them in real life.
      Nevertheless, keep on inspiring me.

      Delete
  5. That "me time" is so important in your busy life - sounds like you had *fun.* And you look terrific, love the ankle socks. xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! Yes, I need to have my time of re-energizing. I had great fun!

      Delete
  6. What a fun outfit! I am glad you enjoyed your day! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love this outfit. Classic with a twist. I am also a big fan of wearing black and white with a bright splash of color. The fabulous polka dot socks with the platform sandals and the chartreuse color remind me of the 1940s, an era I love for fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed Theresa! It does have a flavor of the 40s. Perhaps the length of the skirt. There's almost a strictness, but the socks and sandals ease up the tension. I'm glad you like the look :)

      Delete
  8. The colour of that cardigan just pops right off the screen - I love it and I love it on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This outfit does have some wit! The socks just makes it rock to stylish fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You not only look fun, you are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with your acquaintance's assessment of whit and seriousness. My first thought was that it married fun with a classical style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with both analyses. Thank you, Karen!

      Delete
  12. I love the look on you, though I don't think I could carry it off.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, she nailed you, there is a wit about you and a sense of seriousness, too! So right! I loved this look when I saw in on IG, love the playful look of it. and I adore the Vogue pictures.
    It is great to be around creative people who "get" You!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elle! I really enjoyed my day, and thoroughly enjoyed my ensemble. I felt playful, yet serious. The Monique Lhuillier show had my mouth watering. She actually showed in Palm Desert as well as New York. The first photo was taken by my husband. He was in the photo pit and I was in attendance as a reporter. Lhuillier is a FIDM grad as well, so it was fun to witness her runway live.

      Delete
  14. You look amazing, Glenda! I adore socks with sandals; I wear them too. Miuccia Prada and her 'anti-pretty' style really inspires me, and she shows a lot of socks and heels/sandals.

    I'm jealous of your ME time. I'm really in need of some... or at least some more sleep! I'm so ratty lately and a dose of art and quiet time for a day would serve me well. I'm so glad you enjoyed your day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Prada is the queen of socks. I adore her quirky, ugly/pretty designs. I just watched her spring 2017 collection. Very irreverent. Quintessential Prada. And thank you. It was a FUN look to wear. I bet you look great in this too.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda