8.20.2016

The Farmer in the Bell

When I pulled today's outfit together, the pieces immediately reminded me of the classic nursery rhyme - The Farmer in the Dell. Since the purpose of this post is to show how you can update classics, I thought a spin on the classic rhyme would be absolutely perfect for the post's title.

I do consider myself somewhat of a classic dresser. I love having pieces in my wardrobe that stand the test of time - Levi's 501; penny loafers, t-shirts, pea coats, overalls...you get the point. But lets face it, head-to-toe classic can sometimes look dull. In order for me to stay true to myself, and the often quirky approach I take in dressing, it is important for me to add items to my wardrobe that glean from the classics but still have finesse. Before I move into today's look, allow me to direct you to one of my past post which shows a variation on a classic penny loafer. In a post called Inspired By: Being Dapper,  I'm wearing a pair of black and white spectator G.H. Bass Weejuns...but notice the details on them.

Classics bring to the table a rich history, and are what traditions are founded on. I would never disregard their legacy. However, for today, imagine if you would, the idea of taking vanilla ice cream and jazzing it up by swirling in dulce de leche or chocolate fudge. The vanilla is still the mainstay, but now more flavor flava is added to entice you. I hope you enjoy the pictures, and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


I feel classic but never boring in my pair of overalls. Not your basic pair, rather they have extracted pieces from the traditional farmer dungarees. This pair is skinny, modern with the feathering detail, and a wee-bit sassy. Paired with my updated farmers is a beyond basic black tee that has captured my heart with delightful bell sleeves - definitely classic with a wink. Dressed in my farmers (overalls) and bell-sleeved tee, I came up with the title - The Farmer in the Bell.  

Outfit Details - Flare Mixed Media Tee: Loft;  Skinny Overalls via TJ Maxx years ago (Similar overall styles at Nordstrom by Madewell); Ankle Strap Sandal: Loft (Sold Out. Identical Vince Camuto 'Court' Ankle Strap Sandal at Nordstrom); Black Medium Basic Sunglasses: Loft; Polish is Stolen Kisses by Nicole by OPI; Braided Leather Belt by Ralph Lauren: Many options of braided belts on Amazon.

 



 

 


This is what I propose - If you're a traditional, classic dresser, but you're presently rethinking how you can add spice to your wardrobe; you can still wear the foundation pieces, but amp them up by intertwining garments or accessories that send a message of adventure, spontaneity or fun. Here's a fact about the classics - It's quite easy to up-level them into the fashion statement stratosphere. Often times, just one subtle twist can add a world of difference to a very basic look {wink} 

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Photographs are under the creative direction of F.D. Harrison and are the property of So What to Twenty!

41 comments:

  1. I LOVE that top! Such a fun look with the overalls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really fun top, Kellyann. More interesting than throwing on a basic tee :)

      Delete
  2. Such a great, modern take on overalls! Love the bell sleeves on the top too. Your tip for creating some fun with classic clothes is a keeper. Classic can veer off toward boring, and I say this as one who embraces classics. I'll keep this tip in mind to interject some fun into my go-to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love classic too, but I sometimes feel stagnate in them. That's why I tend to go for items that are new spins on the classics, or pairing my classic pieces that have a touch of interest. It keeps it more fun.

      Delete
  3. Love this look,by far the best styling of overalls I have seen to date anywhere! All of the details, down to the toe ring, are perfect! The top is a brilliant choice, the color and sleeve!
    brava!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, I am blushing. Thank you so much. I really love this spin on the overall...like a pair of skinnies with a bib attached.

      Delete
  4. Love your title, and this whole look - you do classic-with-a-twist so beautifully! xo
    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! It is fun to add new ingredients a legendary recipe :)

      Delete
  5. I must agree with Patti , I always admire your ability to take the classic up to the next level. The overalls work beautifully with your as always stunning shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! I must admit to being a shoe whore.

      Delete
  6. I think you look great in these overalls. I never could pull them off without them either looking too tight through the hips and bust or too loose. You made them look chic. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shoes take it up to a whole new level - it's amazing what you can do with a bit of fashion flair Glenda - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leanne! I enjoy going on an adventure when I pull looks together. I really do :)

      Delete
  8. Glenda I swear you could wear a pillowcase and look fabulous! The farmer in the bell indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give me any ideas, Haralee, I just might try it (lol)!!

      Delete
  9. Glenda, I need a stronger word than Amazing.... I will go with fantabulous!! Much love to you from the East Coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephannie! I'm always to happy when you comment. Thank you so much! Love back at you from the West Coast!

      Delete
  10. You can do classic American dressing like no one else I know. Plus you always know how to throw in a curve to make any look a little bit edgier. You are a true artist, my Dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, thank you, my friend. I have always loved American sportswear - Michael Kors especially. For myself, what makes shopping fun is veering off the beaten path. I've never been a "buy of the mannequin" type of shopper, rather, I enjoy going on an adventure :)

      Delete
  11. I've never seen a pair of overalls rocked with heels! You pulled this one off BIG TIME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamala, I've got to rock my heels :) Thank you Sis!

      Delete
  12. That top gave the overalls such a soft feminine touch and I love this outfit on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neti, thank you so much! It is a cool top. It adds a unique element to the look.

      Delete
  13. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THE OVERALLS.
    You rock them.
    I like to believe I do---because Im never giving em up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla! I love them too because they're so clever. And I'm sure you rock your farmers on another level ;)

      Delete
  14. You gave me my smile for today. So perfect. Expresses some of my roots, too. It's the toe ring, though, that got much of my attention. (Who knew?) I've never worn a toe ring, but I wear sandals all through the summer, and - why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Alana, toe rings are a must. Why not decorate your toes...especially when they're on display.

      Delete
  15. I love to do what you do.. spice things up and make them modern. And I find it very difficult with dresses and skirts. It is my next "project". Have to get the hang of it.
    Love the shirt with this overall. And of course the sandals. Always the sandals.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often times a dress is a dress, but if you add interesting accessories, or shoes, it makes them unique.

      Delete
    2. This winter I am going to nail it. Bought some awesome and modern shoes, boots and sneakers. The shoes I am still not too sure of, but knowing me, I better buy them now. It is the quickest way to get used to the style. As far as shoes go, I am not very modern.
      Greetje

      Delete
  16. Fun! I'm not into overalls because I wore them wayyyy too often in my early 20s. And so for me they just flash me back, without bringing it to a modern place. But they look great on you!! As does everything you put on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I completely understand, Andrea! I'm the same way with wearing red. My high school colors were red and white, and since I was on pep squad, I had to wear the color almost every day. Now I don't event want to look at red.

      Delete
  17. Love the shoes!! I haven't tried overhauls in a long time! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW Glenda! I love, love, love your overalls! You styled them perfectly and you certainly don't look like the Farmer in the Dell! I'm plunging back into the blog world after a much needed vacation. Looking forward to all the fall looks you will be posting!!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com
    STYLE NUDGE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! Welcome back from vacation. Thanks for your kind words. Thankful I don't look like the Farmer in the Dell :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda