7.31.2016

The Audacity

Bare arms, sheer top, fringed hem jeans, toe ring, double earring...the age-patrol would surely arrest me for having the audacity to wear such things - you know...being 50 and all. According to certain fashion rule makers, I'm suppose to wear clothing that conceals the majority of me, and is more dowdy and less exciting, simply because it has been deemed more "appropriate" by some. You know, I should be shopping in a store that separates the clothing by age rather than size. Have you ever heard of such a store? Me neither. As a matter of fact, separating the clothing in this manner would be very unjust. Age discrimination at its worst.

For myself, age is a number, and not a huge determining factor on my fashion prowess. I shop where the clothing resonates with my spirit. The audacity to think turning a certain age would prevent me from shopping in places that suit me best. And because I know myself better than anyone - I know where to draw the line. I stand firm in believing a persons fashions choices are related to how they feel about themselves, and not by an imaginary fashion dictator that scours the mall, asking for photo id, and then directing us into the "right" store.

Having the audacity to dress in what makes you feel great about yourself is nothing new, however, for reasons that are hard to pinpoint, we sometimes lose our way. When I first began blogging, I wore what I thought others would respond too, instead of letting my true self come forth. Then in recent years, and with my new found boldness, I found it necessary to unleash Glenda, and to let my spirit shine far beyond my closet. So for today's style story, I'm wearing an audacious outfit that some may turn their noses at, while others may say bravo. It combines a funky mix of retro 70s with a touch of sweet, and badass rolled into one. Enjoy the pics and I'll meet you below in the comment section. 


I'm not typically a big follower of trends, however, I found the movement in fringed-hem jeans to be creatively interesting, and very much on point with my fashion personality - irreverent (shredded classic jeans), bohemian and a whole lot of quirk. I styled my new DIY jeans with pieces that some may cast into the "not age appropriate" category - Bare arms, Sheer top, mixed metals (silver jewelry with a gold and bronze bag), toe ring, and double earrings. This photo shoot took place in an alley in the art district. A place where a lady should not go, but having the audacity to venture into this territory proved to be the perfect place to highlight this daring ensemble.

Outfit Details - Embroidered Peplum Cami: Ann Taylor Loft (now on sale); Jeans were the Distressed Relaxed Skinny: Ann Taylor Loft (similar style Relaxed Skinny); Ankle Strap Sandals: Ann Taylor Loft (similar Vince Camuto 'Court' Ankle Sandal at Nordstrom. Now on sale); Woven Crossbody Handbag by CEM Brazil via eBay; Kerrianne Watch: Courtesy of Chico's; Toe Ring purchased from a street vendor in Venice Beach, California; Earrings from the Icing; Cat-eye Sunglasses via Getty giftshop (Great sunglass options at Nordstrom); Polish is Chicago Champagne Toast by OPI via Ulta



 



  



Friends, always remember...No one is dictating where you should shop or what you should wear. The only one who makes this determination is you, and how you feel about yourself. On that note, if you dig the jeans in today's post and you have the audacity to create your own, please watch the below video from the Rachel Zoe Report {wink}


Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Over the Moon
Photographs are under the creative direction of F.D. Harrison and are the property of So What to Twenty!

53 comments:

  1. I'm so very pleased you decided to blog about what makes your spirit soar - that is what I love about you and your blog...your individual, unique character and boldness which inspires me to continue believing in my own blogging style. Your "audacious" choice of clothes and accessories here is absolutely fabulous. And you, as always, absolutely beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, Elizabeth, are making my head swell :) Thank you so very much for your incredibly kind words and your sweet spirit.

      Delete
  2. Love the cute fringed jeans! Never saw those before. Thanks for including the video of DIY. As always, you are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I haven't been called Cute in many years. Reading it made me smile. Thank you, and you're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Now you're talking! Nothing irks me more than "age appropriate" classifications. Thank you for giving voice to an important an under-emphasized concept - true fashion is ageless and timeless as long as it contains that crucial ingredient - confidence. Bravo, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It irks me too, Mithra. Thank you for your words :)

      Delete
  4. I'm in the "Bravo!!" camp. This is such a fun outfit. You touch on something very important. Know yourself and what you feel great and confident in. I think if you dress for who you truly are, it will be appropriate no matter what your age. This says to me that you have a free spirit and sense of fun. Can't go wrong with that! The jeans are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really isn't any other way to look at it, Karen. Confidence is key. I don't understand conversations about what to wear at this age or that age...or where to shop. I've seen super chic women who are old enough to be my mom shopping at Anthropologie. There isn't any rule saying you have to stop shopping where you love it. Confidence is key. The jeans are so fun to wear. I love the movement near my ankles. I wore the outfit for date night and I was stopped by women telling me they love the jeans.

      Delete
  5. I say YES to this look - the fringed jeans are so cool, and you look like a million bucks. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Age should never dictate what we choose to wear , it is up to the individual as to what they feel comfortable in, be it on trend or not. This look is very you Glenda , modern , quirky but so well put together .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. I totally agree with your statement!

      Delete
  7. And that is an outfit I would steal from your closet and a hot minute. Also? I love you even more because he hears the word audacity. That's a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, I agree, Audacity is such a great word. I love using words people don't use often, like Flabbergasted. I can surely see you rocking this look :)

      Delete
  8. This really is "so you". I love those jeans! Am not a DYIer but who knows - except, lol, I don't own any blue jeans. I own red jeans, yellow jeans, purple jeans - I do have my own quirky style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alana, I'm not a big DIYer either, but these jeans really spoke to me. It's great you have your own take on fashion.

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure about the fringed jeans, but you rocked the whole look regardless. I'm all for stepping outside the "age" comfort zone and being true to yourself - you looked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Leanne! I know the jeans aren't for everyone.

      Delete
  10. The total look says staying cool this summer while being cool! Any style that is not flattering is inappropriate at any age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great description, Haralee! And I agree completely with your take on style.

      Delete
  11. I haven't seen fringe on jeans before but you wear it well. I love that watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jeans are the perfect amount of quirky for me, while they touch on retro 70s. I love them. And yes, the watch is gorgeous!

      Delete
  12. Oh my! You audacious woman, you!! :) I love all those things and love being audacious myself once in awhile. The fringed jeans and peplum cami are great and I can't wait to find a pair of my old jeans to fringe and bring them back to life. Keep on keepin' on Glenda. I can't wait to see what you wear next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl! It surely is fun to step outside the box. I'm glad you feel the same. I was very pleased with the results of the fringe jeans. Have fun with them!

      Delete
  13. Two comment. You Are BADASS! And you are taunting me with that gorgeous watch again! :) Fabulous look on you. You totally rock it. Inspired by you being YOU. Thanks for linking with #overthemoon

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post really hits home. I often have the "age appropriate"
    conversation with my 40yr old daughter I am 61 and love fashion. I dress for myself and don't adhere to others rules. I love your style and these jeans are everything!! You look absolutely gorgeous in this outfit. Thank you for sharing. I must go now to shred my jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love your comment. Have fun shredding your jeans,you audacious lady!

      Delete
  15. This is Bad Ass and Sexy all rolled up in one and I Love it all. Just last week I did a DIY of the fringed jeans for my niece and decided to do one for me. That top is TDF, the handbag & shoes are so on trend. Kudos Sista!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Neti! I love the results of my DIY project. I cropped mine first and then made the fringe.

      Delete
  16. Age is a concept and a fluid thing -not an absolute number, at least that is true when it comes to styling. ! So- foo to the rules, you look fabulous in this ! Each choice is superb! I want fringed jeans too, but am not very good with DIY. Love this fellow rule breaker!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your analogy, Elle. I agree, Agee is fluid. You can't segregate it into one exact fit.

      Delete
  17. Glenda - I chose this as my featured pick from this week's #Overthemoon Linkup. Look for it Sunday at 5 PM CST. Hope you'll link up again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You betta work! I'm loving those fringe jeans. Visiting by way of your interview on Chico's. Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gigi! Thank you so much for visiting from Chico's, I hope you'll join the So What to Twenty community! The jeans were so easy to make and good fun to wear :)

      Delete
  19. They are FABULOUS!! And you are RAWKING them!!! I can't wait to try my hand at my own pair!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda