6.24.2016

What Lies Beneath

You can be in the presence of someone for years and years and not come to fully know them. Sure, we may scratch the surface and discover a persons occupation, marital status, favorite color, etc. However getting to know and understand a person intimately is often ignored. I have found most people do not wish to know people on a more personal level, by doing so, it keeps the relationship at bay without ever running the risk of having to expose our own vulnerabilities. Therefore, we're never challenged to dive any deeper than what's necessary. Inevitably, our relationships remain one dimensional, instead of us taking the time to peel back the layers to discover what lies beneath

Recently, I attended a gathering, and like most events of this type, time was spent playing games, watching sports, eating and chit-chatting. Conversations were left to general small talk. In the end, much fun was had, however, after an introspective look, the realization came...no layers were revealed, and only a mere scratching of the surface had occurred. I left wondering...What is there to fear? Or perhaps, the real fear is within our self - when you don't know yourself, the idea of spending time to get to know others is simply daunting.  

One of the best choices I ever made was when I decided to expose the real Glenda...post by post, chapter by chapter - there I was...out in the open for the world to read in A Place Called Peace. The act of actually showing Glenda wasn't the tough part, the part that was grueling was the actual peeling back. However, with each layer I removed, I found there was more remarkable flavor to experience, and hidden surprises to unleash. There lie a Glenda which was far more distinguished and expansive than the mere first layer. So for today, I wear an outfit which seems one dimensional, but when you peel back the layers, you'll be surprised by what lies beneath. Enjoy!


A delicate white dress with scalloped embroidered details gives a taste of romance, however, with a second glance, you notice a surprise appearing from just beneath. Suddenly, a story of enchantment and love reveals a different element - one of wonder, fantasy and risk-taking. The saga becomes even more intriguing when our protagonist gives a clear impression of a woman who likes to take chances. She may be sweet, but the woman knows how to have fun.
 
Outfit Details - White Scalloped Embroidered Dress: Anthropologie (from several years ago. Similar Lizette by Temperley London); Petite Bermuda Shorts: Royalty for Me; Tasseled Ankle Tie Heels: Ann Taylor Loft; Bracelet is vintage; Braided Woven Leather Belt by Ralph Lauren (Option at Amazon); White Wide-Brimmed Fedora via Marshall's (options at Amazon); Polish is Garnet by Mineral Fusion

 
 
 

 




Many ask the question - How do you find personal style? First allow me to clarify - there is a difference between fashion and style. It is easy to tell someone what they should wear to this event, or for that occasion, if their goal is to simply dress the naked body. However, to tell someone how to garner their true essence through their sartorial pursuits has a much deeper meaning - one that requires the removal of layers. Fashions are how we clothe our bodies. Style represents a person's spirit, and has the ability to translate your true self. In order to have this capability, you must first know yourself intimately. So my answer to the age old question - How do you find personal style? ------> First you must find yourself. I'll leave you with this quote by poet, William Butler Yeats...

"It takes more courage to find out who you are, by examining the dark corners of your own soul, than it does for a soldier to fight on the battle field."

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe & Tell
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

26 comments:

  1. Stunning as always and a great peek inside the world of Glenda. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself and your style with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have known that gorgeous dress would be from Anthro! It is a stunner! Great idea to put it over the shorts. I enjoyed this post because I have been going through some soul-searching as well. I think we often assume people are judging us, so we are afraid to admit to mistakes made, shortcomings an poor decisions. Maybe a trust issue? I have found that when we bravely and honestly reveal things (in a safe place, with safe people), that can be a real encouragement and help to others. I've made some whopper poor decisions, but when I've stopped trying to hide behind a façade, people are appreciative and start to open up, it's like a feeling of relief. It's a good thing all around. It's sad to think of friendships we might be missing for the very reasons you state, we just have superficial relationships. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, we've all made whopper poor decisions, but we can't allow those decisions define who we are present day. When I began my journey in search of Glenda, I found it necessary to remove myself from all superficial relationships. I had too if I wanted to REALLY find myself. I haven't regretted the decision. Did I sometimes feel alone? Yes. But in the end, the time alone was exactly what needed to happen. No distractions or people telling me what I was doing was wrong. I'm so glad I listed to my intuition.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post. And very much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clothes really do tell a story. And this is a lovely story indeed. I love the hidden/not so hidden shorts. Glenda in all her wonderfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this look on you Glenda, first you look great in white and second I love the shorts under the dress and the opening to reveal them. And of course that hat is just fab on you. Beautiful look that says a lot about a beautiful person :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nora! I've noticed your Jacket Society ads on Google Adsense. Very cool.

      Delete
  6. Great post, Glenda. Sometimes I think we lose sight of how style reveals the inner, true, self and fashion is just fashion.
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is true, Barbara. In my opinion, we lose sight because so many intertwine the meaning, or continuously place fashion as the meaning of style.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful metaphor and sublime outfit! You are right, we should overcome the fear that gets in our way in our personal road to self fulfillment. And I adore the dress worn as top, and the shorts. and I really like GLENDA!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, you are so super sweet. Thank you. And I like Elle. She's cool people. I must admit, this is probably one of my favorite looks. I've worn the dress many times on the blog, but this time, it really resonated with me.

      Delete
  8. White is glorious when you wear it! Lovely layering, Glenda.
    Yes, people hide, mostly from themselves, that's why so many interactions are fake - layers of fake-on-fake... Small talk is not bad all by itself, it only bothers me when it's all there is. Here is to being honest with ourselves!
    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia, as you know, I'm OBSESSED, with wearing white. Most shy away from the non-color, but for me, it gives so many options and I always feel free wearing it. Like a cleansed palette. I get what you say when it bothers you when that's all there is. That's the point I was driving home. When you're in the company of people for years and you don't know them any more than the first introduction. Yes, that bothers me a great deal.

      Delete
  9. I think I want you to be my new BFF. Because I think those thoughts that you do too, that people fear revealing their true selves to others. Why is that? I'd love to sit and listen to people telling me about their true selves, warts and all. And then me to them. That doesn't happen very often, and I know that I cover up parts of myself as well for unknown reasons. Or perhaps I do know....

    You wear that outfit so well, Glenda. It's stunning on you and I'm sure if you walked in a room with it on heads would turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I wore the outfit for the entire day, and yes, it grabbed lots of attention. It is fun to wear. I think it has become one of my favorite outfits.

      There have been times when I have tried to spark real discussions with others and often it just doesn't happen. Or, you knew someone from the past, but years separated you. You then are reunited and the talks remain in the past without ever moving forward. It makes me sad.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful and inspiring! It was my job as a counselor to help people peel back their layers, and it is ever-so much harder for oneself! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you, Patti, your job must have been very challenging. Those layers can be pretty stubborn.

      Delete
  11. Fabulous post, Glenda, and stunning outfit! It took me years and years of self-exploration and introspection to discover my true self. And yes, it was grueling, but in the end, oh so rewarding. And I still have more about myself to discover, but these days, it seems so much less painful and just that much more revolutionizing!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Shelbee, I agree. I feel like the dirty work has been done. Now, the unveiling of new seems refreshing.

      Delete
  12. I am inspired every time I read your writing, Glenda. Your unique style is fabulous and this outfit is so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! To think I almost parted with this dress. I've had it for years. Wearing it in this fashion has inspired me to keep it for many years to come.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda