6.04.2016

The Southwestern Romantic

"If you throw on your favorite pieces, 
you're bound to come up with an outfit you love."
Leandra Medine creator of Man Repeller 

The above quote is a logical theory when you think about it. Right? Why wouldn't this form of "getting dressed" work? I mean, think about it...all of us have items in our wardrobes we absolutely love. So of course it would make sense to believe if we throw on our favorites we'll come up with something cool...at least we hope so. Rather than gambling in a game of fashion roulette, let's dissect this idea:
Hypothesis 1 - This theory would prevent the annoying feeling of having nothing to wear. A statement which more than likely means - I've worn this before, or I'm not in the mood for that right now, or I want to wear something fresh. The idea of wearing something fresh, doesn't have to be NWT (new with tags). It can also represent a new and clever way to wear your favorite pieces. Now's the time when you get to spend a day revisiting your closet and playing dress-up. It's always fun to shop your closet!
Hypothesis 2 - And here's where the theory can go terribly wrong. In my mini-series on accessorizing, in The Icing: Minimum, I mentioned in the 3 Major Faux Pas, the Story Sabotages - this happens when your outfit and accessories aren't cohesive and fail to tell a complete story. Well, the same faux pas can occur when selecting your garments. Unless you're striving for a purposeful, mix associated look, there should be congruency to make getting dressed in this manner soar. By congruency, I don't mean matchy-matchy. What I mean is putting pieces together that tell an interesting story. 
For today's style story, I've decided to put Leandra's quote to the test. Each piece I'm wearing falls into the "My Favorite" category - my favorite pair of light-wash cropped jeans, a wide-brimmed fedora, tie-up sandals, an organic accordion bracelet (courtesy of Chico's), and finally, a pretty, lace peplum I purchased on a celebratory shopping trip. The look is most definitely a wink at my love for Southwestern inspired fashion. At the same time, I bring in an organic element (my love for nature, and my feminine prowess). I hope you enjoy today's look, and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Chico's. I received compensation in exchange for sharing with my blog public. Although this post is a partnership, all opinions are my own.

Outfit Details - Floral Lace Peplum Top: Banana Republic (on sale); Cropped Jeans: Calvin Klein via Marshalls (Option: Slim Vent Crop Jean in Light Wash at Ann Taylor Loft); Tasseled Ankle Tie Heels: Ann Taylor LoftBianca Coil Bracelet: Courtesy of Chico's; Wide-brim Fedora via Marshalls; Polish is Imported Bubbly by Essie.








So what do you think, did my look pass the test? In my opinion, the outfit makes sense. I'll call this look The Southwestern-Romantic. There's a rustic, Spanish feel about the story, but at the same time, there's a gentle quality too. In this case, I believe the theory worked. I managed to throw on some of my favorite pieces and created an interesting style story. I hope you agree {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

33 comments:

  1. Love reading your post!! Love the look as well! @delabellexoxo

    www.thelifeshecreated.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly does pass! I can see why you love these pieces. (Especially that top!!) I have to keep reminding myself that you are petite. You have the proportions nailed. Do you wear mostly petite bottoms? I am 5'4" and am often caught in the middle. Petite dresses fit, whereas petite bottoms fail me in the rise. Just wondered if you mix or stick to petites. Off subject, I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I love answering questions. I stick with petites in bottoms - skirts, dresses and pants especially. My legs are very short, and regular pants are too long and too baggy in the rise. With tops, I move between the two but find I have to go down a size in regular. Sometimes the arm lengths are too long. I prefer to stick with petites.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Glenda. I usually take a variety of sizes in the dressing room, petites included. I will try sizing up in petites and see if that helps. I appreciate your response!

      Delete
  3. A Great read and fabulous outfit. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome look! I love that top. I have a white peplum top, no where near as pretty as yours, I never thought of wearing it with jeans. I usually wear it with something dressy. I will have to give this look a try sometime. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. Being a native Californian, I believe our natural instinct is to shop with the idea of - How will this look with jeans.

      Delete
  5. You always give great inspiration with your outfits! Gonna copy this one for sure๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia! Have fun with it.

      Delete
  6. Well, I think you proved that throwing your favourites together really works! I did that once for a blog post and landed up with a completely BONKERS outfit, but it is one of my favourite looks and one that my readers liked the most. (it is the Spring Has Gone To My Head post if you want to have a look at me veering toward crazy cat lady). You, on the other hand, look effortless, slick, sublime, and cool af. There is always an ease about you in your photos, and you in this outfit is no exception. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that post and commented on it. I rather liked the quirkiness of your look...especially the socks. Which is a clever look in it's self. Thank you for your kind words. I feel at ease with myself. I'm glad you see it :)

      Delete
  7. What a great look! And your feeling of being at home in what you're wearing really comes through...you look ready to conquer the world! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that feeling translates, Susan. You're right, I feel perfectly at home in my clothing choices.

      Delete
  8. Nailed it! A 10! You look lovely and weather-appropriate! [Insert clapping emoji].

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the whole look but especially the hat and blouse. Where did you get the hat? Sometimes I get hats and they feel too tight, the one you are wearing seems to still have room. Thanks
    Ms. Fredy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fredy! I had been on the hunt for a white wide-brimmed fedora for some time. I was in Mexico a couple of years ago, and could have kicked myself for not getting one then. Most hats are a natural shade. I happened on this one at my local Marshalls. And yes, you're correct with your observation. It isn't tight.

      Delete
  10. Cool and relaxed and gorgeous. You tell a beautiful story. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do agree the total look works and you look great. I love the white hat with the white top. To me it just screams summer, it may be hot but I am cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, love your analysis, Haralee - I may be hot, but I am cool. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Great read as always, love the outfit it looks dressy and comfortable at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena! Yes, it is quite comfortable and I would rock this look to a variety of events.

      Delete
  13. Ok, missy, let get things clear. You need not quotes of theorems, to find yourself to a fabulous outfit. You will just gravitate to it, That is who you are. Love this romantic peplum, fedora and laced shoes: fabulous in all of the possibly contrasting components.
    XX, Elle
    can we call this one Splendor in the Grass...
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, I had a post last summer called Splendor in the Grass! You're so kind. It was still fun to talk science in a fashion post :)

      Delete
  14. Fab! You make me want to jump a plane to Cuba! I'll echo Karen's sentiment that your proportions are always dead on. I too am 5'4" and wear regular but take things up at the shoulder. Because those arm holes are sooo important now! Can't show my chicken wings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ladies have me beat by about 3 inches! I have to wear petites in most items or the garment will overwhelm my frame. I understand about the armholes. And it seems they keep getting larger...or is that just my imagination?

      Delete
  15. Lovely. If I were to put my favourite things together, it might not work this well. It is a lovely look you created.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, Greetje. You may be surprised.

      Delete
  16. You're totally rocking this look. Uber chic, uber cool! Love the hat.
    Anna
    www.annasislandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I was on the hunt for this wide brimmed white fedora. I'm so glad I finally found one. It goes with most of my wardrobe.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda