6.01.2016

My Kind of Jacket

I'm thankful I live in an area with a warm climate. For one thing, I love temperatures that hover around 85 degrees. Second, I enjoy activities that take place outdoors - concerts, the beach, art walks, shopping on boulevards, sporting events, dining on a vineyard, etc. Typically, when I'm enjoying these types of outings, I'll wear a carefully selected outfit, and then carry a jacket or sweater - just in case it gets chilly. But here's where it gets tricky - I've had a difficult time trying to find the right kind of jacket; one that's less severe, not bulky, easy to tuck away in a tote bag, and preferably with 3/4 inch sleeves, or what is often referred to as opera sleeves. 

I have always loved the look of a blazer or jacket, but have the tendency to refrain from buying them. I've decided they don't fit my personality. Instead I opt for alternatives with a softer drape and feel - outerwear that gives me the ability to move about freely without feeling constricted or closed in. Enter the find I'm wearing in today's post. It's definitely my kind of jacket - lightweight, linen and cotton blend, and provides me with comfort and finesse (the jacket has a definite chill vibe).

On this day, we headed to Newport Beach/Balboa Island to check out a hot eating spot. Afterwards we walked to a store that specializes in unique vintage pieces for the home. The sky was blue and the temperature was cool. In typical Glenda fashion (no pun intended) I decided on comfortable pieces with an unexpected twist...my favorite cropped jeans, high voltage silver shoes and accessories, and of course - my new jacket. To add a bit more personality, I chose to do a little pattern play by combining a floral clutch to complement the stripes in the jacket. I hope you enjoy today's look, and I'll meet you below for an announcement, and comments.









 

I hope you enjoyed today's style story as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you. And now an announcement:
I went to the BAM conference, and my world as a writer and style enthusiast has had lift-off! I am now a fashion contributor for GRAND - The Lifestyle Magazine for Awesome GRANDparents. They are a lifestyle publication with a bit of an “attitude!! I was contacted by GRAND, a digital lifestyle magazine for today’s grandparents, because they love my style and my writing. Although I'm not a grandparent (and I hope not to be for a long time considering my sons are still young), the magazine is targeted to grands but that is such a wide range with many tastes and sensibilities. The "grand" thing is mostly about being over 45. So, my friends, when my first articles in the issue goes live on July 1, 2016, you will be the first to know {wink} 

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

22 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on your collaboration with GRAND! What an amazing opportunity to show the 'grands' among us, (I have 3 grandsons that are huge blessings in my life - the first one came along when I was 45 and we have been best friends since the second he was born!) how to elevate our style and stay far from frumpy! I look forward to checking out the articles!
    This jacket is so fabulous! This whole outfit is fabulous! I do like the floral clutch with the stripes. Adds a dash of interest and fun! I'm with you Glenda, to me, 85 degrees is just about right! I love the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learn more about you each week, Karen. How sweet you refer to your grandchild as your best friend. I hope I don't disappoint the GRAND readers.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, I know you will be a great asset to them! Love the style in today's post, so chic and simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Haralee! I'm looking forward to this next chapter.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations. Things continue to look up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Grand! They're lucky to have you. I'm not a blazer type either but it is a hassle schlepping the cardie around all the time.That IS a great jacket. Kind of like a cool bohemian smoking jacket. You look put together but laid back. Good old Anthro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Connie, I'm reminded of a smoking jacket too, but from a less strict person. I love it, and thanks for the congrats!

      Delete
  5. Love the shoes and never thought to look on ebay. Congratulations and can't wait to read your contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Monica, eBay has a trove of goodies. I'm obsessed with it!

      Delete
  6. Yes, congratulations on you collaboration with Grand, how exciting Glenda!!!! Your outfit is also so exciting - love the jacket so much and pairing it with the floral clutch is so fab. And, do I need to even mention how much I love your shoes Glenda!! I love being surprised by your shoe selection - you have excellent taste in shoes!!!!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com
    STYLE NUDGE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherie, these shoes are silver like no other...high voltage. I'm glad you like the look. Very chill with an unexpected twist.

      Delete
  7. Congrats! You will have so many enticing articles for us to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Glenda, looking forward to read it. Love you outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your new opportunity! Woo Hoo! I love the jacket, it is very soft and classic looking. I tend to wear a lot of blazers because they make everything look pulled together, but sometimes I like something more free flowing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LV, thank you! Like I said, I love the look of blazers, but I don't feel comfortable in them. I wish I did.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, congratulations Glenda!! Your writing and style are both always on pointe, so they are lucky to have you as a contributor.

    You look great here, so chic and so relaxed. The shoes and bag just add the real punch of Glenda to the lovely jacket. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm thrilled with this new opportunity. The fun part of getting dressed is adding that element of surprise :)

      Delete
  11. Now this new is GRAND! Congrats and well deserved! I am loving this jacket!! Coveting, wanting, wondering in y mind what will look nice with it..
    You styled it perfectly, as per usual!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle! I'm really looking forward to contributing to the publication. The jacket is so soft and just works. I love the casualness of it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda