6.28.2016

Bee Brave

I have a little secret to share...I have had an ongoing fear of wearing jumpsuits and rompers. Why? Okay, don't laugh, but this is where my germ phobia kicks-in. I've always feared I'll need to use the public facilities while wearing one, and the back of the suit will touch the toilet. I know, some of you are shaking your heads. Don't judge. It's a real fear, and one I still have to overcome. 

Recently, while adding to my summer wardrobe, the hubs and I wandered into Ann Taylor Loft. I picked up various pairs of shorts and a few summer dresses. But before I made my way into the fitting room, I could feel the section of rompers taunting me from across the store. I walked over to them to determine if their mockery was real. With trepidation, I examined the garments, then my eyes landed on the one I'm wearing for today's style story. With reservation, I made the decision to add it to my try-ons. I stepped out from the fitting room to show my husband. When he looked up from his cell phone, his tongue hung from his mouth and almost dropped to the floor. "Damn, Glenda!" And with those words and his wagging tongue, I knew it was time to bee brave. I took the romper to the wrap desk. It was official - It was time to overcome my fear. 

For today, I wear the one garment I avoided like the plague - the romper. Not for the faint of heart, this sexy number can be a great addition to your summer wardrobe. The design of the garment reveals just the right amount of skin. However if you're shy about your legs, this probably isn't the piece for you. Done in my favorite off-the-shoulder, I decided to wear the newest addition to my jewelry collection - a jeweled bee pin, which is the perfect representation for BEEing brave. I hope you enjoy the pictures and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


With a daring number like this, I felt it necessary to keep my other cast of characters (the accessories) to a minimum. The bee brooch sits bravely on the front of the ruffle. To complement the brooch, I'm wearing a gold, jewel encrusted feather ring. Though the romper can easily be dressed up or down, today, I selected to wear it with barely there heeled sandals - a look that can take me to a variety of summer events...an evening concert at the Hollywood Bowl, a late night tasting at a winery, or dinner at a piano supper club. To give the romper a more relaxed feel, simply pull the shoulders up, wear flat sandals, and perhaps switch your jewelry to silver.

Outfit Details - Off the Shoulder Romper (I'm wearing petite small): Ann Taylor Loft (Sold Out. See Loft's many romper options); Sparkle Bee Brooch: Banana Republic; Ankle Strap Sandals: Ann Taylor Loft; Feather Ring via Anthropologie (Sold Out. Check out the Feather Pave Ring at Banana Republic); Sunglasses via Chico's; Polish is Camisole by China Glaze
 








Truth be told, I often use my date nights as a time to venture where Glenda has never gone before. I tend to amp-up my vixen quota, but not in a lewd way. As I've demonstrated before, in a post called Sexy Cool, you can be sexy without looking like a (fill in the blank). And like I've stated previously feeling sexy is of the mind. I'm glad I made the first step to bee brave in my romper. But what I have noticed, when I wear the garment out, I have a tendency to drink a lot less water. Tell me friends, what clothing item have or do you fear {wink}

One last thing before I fly, with many heading out to enjoy the 4th of July (including myself), this will be my only post for this week. I'll return next week with another style story.

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Up:
Fun Fashion Friday
Visible Monday
 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

48 comments:

  1. What a great "Fred Story!!" That is funny! I don't wear rompers or jumpsuits for the restroom reason you mentioned. Didn't find that odd at all, it's very awkward trying to navigate a garment like that, pull it off, you are almost naked now there in the stall, hold the top off to the side with one hand and struggle, try to tuck portions of it in your bra...you know how it goes! Drinking less would be the way to go. But very cute Glenda, you wear this well! The picture where the bee pin catches the light, love that! You can sure rock those sandals! Just seeing the pictures convinced me to set up a winery visit with my close friend, just to be outside enjoying the sun and people-watching! I may not be wearing a romper, but sure will be enjoying the summer! Have a great holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred rolls his eyes when he makes it into my stories. I had to share this one. He rarely uses bad words, so when he said Damn, I knew I had to get it. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. When I told the sales associate, she looked at me cross-eyed. But I'm glad I bought it. It's fun to wear. Yes, make the appointment with your friend. I love going to wineries. Here in California, they're everywhere. I don't particularly care for drinking, but the food and atmosphere are always great.

      Delete
  2. You look classy and sexy here and I love it all. My fear of rompers/jumpsuits is also about the bathroom, not just the germs but the weakness of the bladder. I am always worried I will not be able to take them off in time.. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand, Neti. They are tricky indeed, but I just couldn't pass on my husband's wagging tongue :)

      Delete
  3. You look beautiful! I have a fear of rompers because I've been thinking they're too young for me. But I'm going to follow in your footsteps and bee brave myself! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be scary, Elsa. But I've noticed there are many varieties to choose from. Now I think they're fun. I just won't drink a lot of water when I decide to wear it :)

      Delete
  4. Love the romper! It looks great on you. I've never worn rompers or jumpsuits for more than one reason, but the biggest reason is having to get undressed to use the restroom. I feel the same way about the body suits we wore in the 70's and having to resnap them after using the facilities. Lol, even one piece bathing suits have gone to the bottom of my list for this reason. I may have to give in and give a romper a try one of these days though. Thanks for the nudge!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew...I am so thankful I am not the only one who feared these types of garments. I've decided I'll only wear it for short trips, and not all day affairs. That way I'll runner a much less risk of having to use the restroom.

      Delete
  5. You look adorable in the romper. I too share your fear of dropping it in the cammode. That would be something I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are seriously going to make me start a brooch collection! Love you hun! You look gorg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes, brooches are so fun. I know young folks think they're old-ladyish, and I'll agree, some are. But there are some really cool ones out there. Go for it!

      Delete
  7. Classy and sophisticated! You look wonderful, lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bee brooch and you look great in that romper!! I think I will have to steal that bee, you know I have a thing for bees 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kery! Yes, I understand your love for bees.

      Delete
  9. OK for the first time ever you and I are polar opposites. I am Jumpsuit McGee. Fancy expensive ones. Cheap not so ones :-) all colors all varieties all the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, complete opposites. Though I think they're cute...

      Delete
  10. First off - you are not alone with the romper/bathroom phobia!! And that romper is totally worth facing your fear! You look marvelous!! Love the off-the-shoulder look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you understand my plight. I'm so glad I'm not alone with this one. I thought it was worth it just to see my husbands eye's bug-out again.

      Delete
  11. You changed my mind about rompers. You look fantastic in this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look lovely. So chic and stylish...and the brooch is a fabulous touch! I'm a huge fan of rompers, but I totally get your hesitation at first, lol!

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Whitney! I'm glad I made the step. I just have to figure out how to manipulate the garment if I need to use the potty.

      Delete
  13. Now I remember that you mentioned this fear of yours before. :) As I said, you look gorgeous - and with the addition of this charming bee and your supportive husband, you can overcome any fear! :) I think I overcame too many sartorial fears to mention... bodycon dresses, for one. I always feel braver when I'm with Justin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought you were just playing with me on Facebook. It is a real fear. Germs...omg. I'm always sanitizing everything. I have yet to venture into a bodycon dress. I avoid them. Perhaps one day...And like you, I feel much more brave with the hubs.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad you overcame your fear because you look fab in this romper. I love it and I am not a big romper fan either (I only have one) :)) But I do want to get more, going to the bathroom with them is an issue though so I totally get you. Oh and I love love the bee broach.
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it appears, Nora, all of us feel the same about the dreaded potty issue. I did see a couple that zipped in the back so the flap would fall forward, however, the particular off the shoulder style stole my heart. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  15. You can sure wear "the romper"! Very stylish sexy and fabulous. The off the shoulder and minimal accessories are you! The photos are beautiful. Thank you for sharing, I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I'm glad you're smiling :)

      Delete
  16. When I saw this on Instagram, I thought WOW! You pulled this off and then some! Fabulous! Way to wear it!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! A man came to a screeching halt when I needed to cross the street :)

      Delete
  17. Girl, I'm with Fred. You look HOT! Think of all of the years of hotness you've missed out on by not wearing rompers! Well, now you can make up for lost time (and make your husband happy too). My best looks are often the ones where I push myself out of my comfort zone... I think that applies to a lot of us. You look gorgeous (and those shoes are perfect with the romper). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thank you so much! I noticed when I finally am brave enough to try something different on, I usually like it. However, if my hubs wasn't with me, I probably wouldn't have purchased it.

      Delete
  18. You look absolutely stunning! Bravo for buying this romper, it was made for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling from ear to ear. Thank you, Trina!

      Delete
  19. A fabulous look for your Glenda. I wanted to laugh as I read the beginning not knowing where you were going with your fear. It looks like you found another way to look chic while you overcame your apprehension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugeena, the struggle is real with the germ thing. I only wear the romper for short periods, in hopes I won't need to use the restroom :)

      Delete
  20. Awww ... great story about the hubs! I'm so glad you gave romper a try, because you look ravishing! Bee brave indeed!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Fun Fashion Friday! Hope you're enjoying your weekend!

    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! Perhaps one day I'll venture into a jumpsuit...

      Delete
  21. Glenda, you definitely nailed the sexy, classy, chic look for sure. And your husband has great taste because you look fabulous! I am completely in love with that bee pin, too.

    I feel you on the public restroom thing with rompers. One reason I have not ventured into the land of rompers yet!

    Shelbee
    http://www.shelbeeontheedge.com/coral-sandals-and-on-the-edge-of-the-week-link-up-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Now I can hold my head up high. Thank you so much, Shelbee. It really is a fun piece to wear. Snatch up the bee pin at Banana Republic. They also have plenty of other options I'm sure you'll love.

      Delete
  22. Isn't that the best?? When your husbands reacts like that? I would have bought the item that caused that as well. Love the story, love the romper. As you do, you wear it well. You styled it very good. As for your phobia... eventually you will have to see a psychologist I am afraid. The more you avoid the thing you are afraid of, the bigger the fear gets. Been there, solved it.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, his reaction was worth the weight in gold. He made me feel unbelievably sexy. I'm afraid you're right about the phobia, Greetje.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda