5.01.2016

Una Mujer Nueva

Una Mujer Nueva: A New Woman
On January 1st I announced on the blog my theme for the new year - I'm Ready. This statement was my way of proclaiming my new way of thinking. No longer would I hide from opportunities, rather, I would accept them with courage, and a almost tangible verve. Sure, this new attitude has been somewhat scary, but in the end, after taking on the challenges, I have felt extremely proud of my accomplishments. Even if the outcome isn't what I expect, I'm still standing much taller because ultimately, I didn't turn away, but chose to meet what is new.

As you know, I was invited to participate in a panel to share my wisdom on branding at the conference for midlife bloggers called BAM in Las Vegas. The entire time leading up to the conference I thought, "What have I gotten myself into?" My agonizing fear of public speaking was beginning to haunt me. I was unable to sleep, eat or concentrate on anything specific. As time drew near, and it was time to take the stage, I could hear my heart pounding in my ears. I looked out into a sea of waiting, watchful eyes, but feeling some comfort from my family who came as my security blanket. When I heard my name announced, I took a deep breath and proceeded to dive into my presentation. Before long, the scary feeling subsided and the warmth from the conference attendees permeated my spirit. When it was over, I walked back to my seat una mujer nueva.

To celebrate, that evening, my family took me shopping in the Grand Canal Shoppes in the Venetian. I wandered the shoppes on a mission, and with surreal feelings of achievement. I contemplated my theme for the year 2016 - I'm Ready, and thought how the statement alone was one which meant a new way of living, thinking...being. In honor of my new way of being, for today's style story I'm wearing one of the outfits I picked up on my celebratory shopping spree - a Latin inspired outfit which tells the story of my great love for the Southwestern culture and lifestyle. I hope you enjoy the look and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


Outfit Details - Striped Drop-Waist Shirtdress: Banana Republic; Straw White Wide-Brimmed Fedora (many options of eBay); Riding Boots by Ralph Lauren via TJ Maxx (Many Riding Boot options at Nordstrom. Love the Sam Edelman "Penny" Boot); Medallion Chunky Bracelet purchased at a vintage shop near my home. Nail Polish: Petal Plush by Maybelline.


 






    
 
By participating in the BAM conference, I was able to make many new connections with conference attendees and brands. Because I said Yes to the new challenge, I now contribute to the online website for midlife writers - Vibrant Nation, Chico's invited me to model many of their new looks, and I was approached by another fascinating blogger who approached me about participating in her upcoming book. But most of all, I looked the fear straight in the face, acknowledged it, and moved forward. I am una mujer nueva {wink}
 ~~~~~~~~~~
Before you go: Over at Bloom, I'm sharing a story on how I accepted an invitation to try something new. I'm sure you'll enjoy the subject. Stop by Bloom and relax into a story for your soul.

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe & Tell
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

36 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos, Glenda, and I always love reading your articles. You have smarts and insight galore. xox

    Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, aw, thank you! I thought my hubs did a great job on the photos too.

      Delete
  2. You inspired me to select a word for 2016, which I did back in December. I wrote it on every page of my new calendar and have been working toward my goal consistently. Thank you for your inspirational posts Glenda. Congratulations on facing and conquering your fears. You are a great role model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, great minds think alike. I too write my theme on each calendar page. It's a great reminder.

      Delete
  3. That bracelet is a great find! Love your whole look!! And I so appreciate your "I'm ready" philosophy, great way to approach life. You are certainly ready in this outfit.👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie! I'm having a moment with medallions, and have found some incredible finds lately. I always feel myself when channeling the great Southwest.

      Delete
  4. This is a lovely dress on you. I especially like it with the hat and boots which gives the outfit contrasts. And I applaud you for overcoming so much fear. Your reward is big in all aspects. We have a saying in The Netherlands which translates to : Fear is a very bad adviser.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Greetje - Fear is a very band adviser. Indeed it is. But in contrast, some fear is my gauge to what is truly important.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on all your new opportunities! You came across cool, calm and collected when you spoke. I would never have guessed that you were nervous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must add acting to my list of accomplishments. Darlene, I thought I was going to faint in the beginning. I was thankful it subsided midway through the discussion. I'm so glad we finally met. You're positively beautiful.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful adventure you're on, Glenda! Congratulations!!! So happy for you! We are born to be free and do what we love. All the very best in your new endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia, thank you so very much. As free as a bird.

      Delete
  7. Inspired choice! You're my style muse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mithra, you're so very kind. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. That outfit is perfect and totally HAWT. I'm glad you stepped out of your comfort zone and into some inspiring experiences.
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexandra! I'm glad you like this outfit. It is fun to wear, that's for sure.

      Delete
  9. I love your style. I love your spirit. I love your words. ((sharing))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling from ear to ear. Thanks Carla!

      Delete
  10. Glenda, you are always stunning and always inspiring! Way to step out there and enjoy all that you were created for!

    I have the Penny boots and they are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shon. I of in strength in my vulnerabilities. Strange, but true. Ooo, the Penny boots are nice!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on the new opportunities coming your way. How very exciting.

    Absolutely adore the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Glenda huge congrats on speaking at BAM! You look amazing in that outfit too. And wow, Chicos! My favorite store! I can't wait to see those posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe Chico's either. I'm so excited! And thank you ;)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations! A great achievement!
    Love your ensemble here -- great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glenda, this is such an inspiring and empowering post. Just yesterday, I was thinking about fear and how I deal with it...and I realized that now that I am getting well into my 40's, I am just as afraid of everything as I ever was but the fear really has very little influence in my life. And it so rewarding when we conquer our fears. So I think my new mantra is, "I have no time for fear." Thanks so much for always inspiring!

    And I cannot forget to say that your dress and boots are absolutely fabulous!

    Shelbee on the Edge
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shelbee! Thank you so much for your kind words. You're right, as I grew more wiser, I have noticed the fear is still there, however I have decided to not let it paralyze me. I have the mindset - If it's scaring me, it must really important. So, I better move on it.

      Delete
  15. Snappy outfit Glenda! Love this look, so crisp and off the magazine pages, cool!I am so glad you conquered your fear and stepped up, You have so much to share!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elle! I often heard women talk about the 50s being their greatest years. There's something very powerful about this decade in life.

      Delete
  16. You look gorgeous in these photos; your innate style and warmth come through no matter what you are wearing. I can't imagine you'd be nervous of public speaking, but well done to you for facing your fears and walking all over them! You deserved a nice shopping spree after that. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the proudest moments...besides having my children. I felt like I was walking on clouds afterwards. Thank you about the photos. There was something very sweet about this photo shoot. The lighting and location was so pretty. I felt really good. I'm glad it shows.

      Delete
  17. OMG what a great look on you Glenda, LOVE the white fedora and that dress is so pretty. I am sure you did great in your public speaking and you deserved a good session of shopping my friend :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, if you knew how long I have been searching for this white fedora it would shock you. I was just about to give up and I spotted one in the most unexpected place. Most are beige or off-white...white is really hard to find. Thank you, I felt light as a feather after the talk and felt ethereal while shopping.

      Delete
  18. Glenda! Once again you have found an outfit that is so perfectly YOU. You look so happy. I just know that the crowd loved you. By the way, I finally posted my review of your book on Good Reads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, on this photo shoot, there was such a sweet spirit. I believe because I felt so at peace. Thank you for the review on Goodreads. I really appreciate the support!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda