5.15.2016

The Icing: Minimum

Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Chico's. I received compensation in exchange for sharing with my blog public. Although this post is a partnership, all opinions are my own.

I thought I'd dedicate my next posts to a two-part series on my favorite subject - Accessorizing. I believe the beginning of my love affair with fashion and style began with the fun adornments. As the story goes, when I was a young girl, we would visit my grandparents (mother's parents) in rural Arkansas. With each visit, my grandmother would bring out her chest of jewelry and allow her granddaughters to take their pick. From this experience, I began to spend my free-time in the library combing through the fashion magazines. I was enthralled with how the right accessories had the ability to transform an entire look. I hope you enjoy the series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whether you enjoy accessorizing like over-the-top style maven, Iris Apfel, the elegance of the minimal approach like designer, Carolina Herrera, or somewhere in between - whatever your take, accessories are most certainly the icing on the cake. But here's the most crucial fact about the icing - either it can enhance the beauty and flavor, or it can completely ruin the outcome. In other words, if you put the wrong jewelry, bag, belt, scarf, sunnies and shoes with your sartorial pursuits, you'll completely destroy the look. Careful attention to these important details are ultra important, and must not be ruled as an after thought.  

Depending on the occasion, mood and story I wish to tell, I have dazzled with a variety of accessorizing techniques. However in most cases, I tend to lean more toward a minimal approach to completing an ensemble. In my opinion, comfort is just as important as what you choose to wear. The idea of futzing with myself is out of the question. When I select what I'm wearing, I like for the entire look to flow seamlessly into my complete life, or better yet, my style story. Enjoy.


For today, the look I'm wearing is classic, feminine, and minimal: A tiered lace skirt is accentuated by a fitted scoop-neck tee, barely there heeled sandals, and simple lace clutch. The hero accessory is a glorious, yet classic coin bracelet that makes a statement on it's own. There's no need to over adorn myself with multiple necklaces and a variety of rings - a touch of gold on the ear and one gold ring are all that's needed.
 
Magnetic Stella Coin Bracelet
courtesy of Chico's

Outfit Details - Magnetic Stella Coin Bracelet: Chico's; Nikki Sunglasses: Courtesy of Chico's (sold out, but the Ray-Ban 'Highstreet' is very similar); Vintage 1950s Lace Clutch: (Love the Jessica McClintock 'Sloan' Floral Clutch at Nordstrom); Ankle Strap Sandal: Ann Taylor Loft (also check out the Holland Heeled Sandal at Banana Republic); Tiered Lace Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft (from a few seasons back. Option: Dalia Skirt at TJ Maxx); Fitted Tee: Cynthia Rowley via TJ Maxx (Very similar Ribbed Cotton Scoop Neck Tee at Ann Taylor); Polish is Onyx Rush by Maybelline.

 


Here are (3) three major accessorizing faux pas:

#1: The Matchy-Matchy Route - While I'm dressed in ivory and black, there is no need to go overboard in the color scheme by saturating myself with ivory and black jewelry, ivory and black handbag, and ivory and black shoes. By doing this, it makes the outfit look less expensive, and over-worked. The best rule of thumb is to stick with metals for jewelry when trying to achieve a classic and minimum look, and keep your shoes and handbag in the same color story.

#2:  The Story Sabotages - This happens when you put on accessories that have absolutely nothing to do with the overall theme of your look...or story. My outfit for today is clearly classic and feminine, therefore the accessories tell the same story. If I were to put on feathered, bohemian styled jewelry, and floppy hat, it may lead some to wonder, 'Where was she going with this story?' You don't want this to happen. Cohesiveness is key.

#3: The Handbag Heckler - This occurs when a person refuses to change out their handbag, and carries the same one regardless of what their wearing, or what type of event their attending. The handbag is in total disregard to the complete look. Take the time to change out your bag to complement your look.




   


I hope you enjoyed The Icing: Minimum in this two part series on accessorizing. I'll return this Tuesday with The Icing: Maximum. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to inquire. I love your questions and comments {wink} 

Here is a bonus for you. Many comment on my ability to wear heels. Yes, I LOVE wearing heels, and I'm blessed with a high arch which makes it much easier.  I found this video from Neiman Marcus that demonstrates simple techniques you can do to make heel wearing more comfortable.

 

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe n Tell
 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

40 comments:

  1. Love the lace tier skirt :-)

    Monica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monica. It is one of my favorite Loft skirts.

      Delete
  2. This was a very informative post. Thank you very much. I knew a bit of your three faux pas to avoid, but the were not as clear as you describe them. Really helpful. And the Neiman Marcus video was also helpful.
    You live and learn...
    Oh and of course you look smashing. Your really do. No lie. Honest Dutch girl talking here.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, Greetje, I'm glad they explanation was clear, and I'm glad you appreciated them. Thank you so much. I like that term...to look smashing :)

      Delete
  3. I tend to be a minimalist in general, and found these to be good tips. The handbag mistake is one I see often. I have a love/hate thing with bags. Love them in the store, but I hate to use one! It bugs me to see someone who nailed it with their outfit then grabbed any old bag and headed out. Love the black and white. Always a classic and always seems right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mostly minimal too, Karen. I feel more comfortable with less things to worry about. I feel the same as you about bags. I swoon when I see them on display, but the thought of carrying one is annoying to me. I typically stick with small cross-body, clutches or backpacks.

      Delete
  4. I bet that bracelet makes a wonderful jingle jangle sound. I inherited my Great Aunt's noisy charm bracelet, her signature style piece. And my mom's jewelry box always seemed like a cabinet of wonders when I was a girl.

    Me, I'm a maximalist -- I wear 12 rings on my left hand (can't wear them on my right any more) ALL THE TIME. Other items get added for special events -- I can't work on the computer with bracelets, so I don't bother with them during the work-week. On Friday night however, I finally wore my too small 80's punk belt wrapped around my wrist as a bracelet -- the buckle was so easy to fasten and the studs rocked!

    xxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember all your beautiful silver rings, Anne. You wear them well. Wow, the belt must have looked so cool! On occasion I'll wear multiple rings, but usually just one per hand. You're right about the bracelet - it makes the fun jingle sound. I LOVE that about bracelets. I was the type of kid who played around all day in her mom's closet, perfume and jewelry box. That's all I needed. I remember putting on her dresses and modeling for her. She would smile from ear to ear. Visiting my grandmother was amazement...a treasure trove of ornamental wonder. I guess it's safe to say my mother and grandmom created this fashion monster :)

      Delete
  5. Classic and so pretty, Glenda, and your accessories enhance the style story. Gorgeous bracelet! xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous outfit and such a great post! I often play with my accessories much longer than I play with my outfit...until I get it just right. You are so correct, the wrong accessories can ruin the outfit, but the right ones....oh then you are golden!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedg.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Shelbee! Sometimes I even plan my outfit around a particular accessory or shoe.

      Delete
  7. Love this post, especially the part about changing out your handbag! Great advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. You definitely don't want to be a Handbag Heckler :)

      Delete
  8. The skirt is a showstopper. I love ivory lace! And your pearls of accessory wisdom are just as perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mithra. I'm glad I kept the skirt. Over the past year, I loss a substantial amount of weight. I had the skirt taken-in. I'm glad you liked the accessorizing wisdom.

      Delete
  9. You look stunning. I'm a Chico-holic so thanks for this. Plus I love your outside and wow about the shoes. The skirt is incredible. Great post, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I'm glad you shop Chico's!

      Delete
  10. I adore Iris, but tend to go very minimal for myself. Partially that I don't trust my style sense :-) and also because I chose in my big bold glasses frames as an accessory and almost anything else feels over-the-top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Iris both rock the bold eye wear. Her style is quintessential Iris. I wouldn't dare try to replicate her look. But I understand your take on accessories. Being petite, like yourself, I often feel weighted down when I over accessorize. Thus my tendency to stay more minimum.

      Delete
  11. I love this look. Yes bracelets can add just the right flair and are often overlooked. Amen to your bag advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bracelets are so fun to wear...especially when they jingle.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful look Glenda, love the skirt and the bracelet is fab! Very good advice as well on how to accessorize :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nora, I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  13. This is my favorite look yet, casual and dressy it can be worn anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena! I do enjoy universal dressing...clothing and outfits that will take me anywhere. I'm glad you like the look.

      Delete
  14. Those 3 tips are so on point. Accessories are can make or break your outfit! Love the classic color combo on you, simple elegance!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a minimalist too, whether it is with what I wear or how I live. Fresh and clean!! P.S. Love your skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Fresh and Clean. I too love this approach to living. Thank you!

      Delete
  16. The handbag heckler - that totally made me chuckle! Oh, I've seen many of those around.
    Love the simplicity of this outfit, even though I tend to gravitate slightly more to Iris but without falling flat on my face!

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jacqueline, sometimes I wish I could do Iris. She can seriously rock the maximum! So now when you see someone committing the handbag offense, you'll get a little chuckle :)

      Delete
  17. Somewhere I heard we shouldn't wear more than seven items--skirt, top, shoes, watch, ring, earrings, etc. If you're over the number seven, start taking something off. Don't know where that comes from, but like you, I'm a minimalist, so I don't have a problem in this area. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard this idea, but it makes since to me. Sometimes I wear more, but often, I keep it minimal.

      Delete
  18. Chicos! Damn. I have got to get my unaccessorized self in there. I love the bracelet. Once again you have nailed this look. And you DO look fabulous in heels. Alas my wonky foot says noooooo to heels. I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled I was to see all of the flats in the Chanel show!! Those brogues. Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Chico's! They've got a great inventory of jewelry - jewelry with a lot of personality. I'm with you Connie, the Chanel show was fricken awesome. I can't stop looking at it. The little details and the obvious ones. Oh yes, the glorious shoes!!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda