5.17.2016

The Icing: Maximum

I'm back with part two on my two-part series on my favorite subject - Accessorizing. If you missed part one, called The Icing: Minimum, you can catch-up by clicking the link. Today's post is The Icing: Maximum. Like I stated previously, the beginning of my love affair with fashion and style began with the fun adornments. As the story goes, when I was a young girl, we would visit my grandparents (mother's parents) in rural Arkansas. With each visit, my grandmother would bring out her chest of jewelry and allow her granddaughters to take their pick. From this experience, I began to spend my free-time in the library combing through the fashion magazines. I was enthralled with how the right accessories had the ability to transform an entire look. I hope you're enjoying the series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you're like myself, a person with a small frame, it is often more difficult to pull-off maximum accessorizing without a hitch. Sure, there are other petite women who do this effortlessly - Rachel Zoe, and again, Iris Apfel, to be exact. It was Rachel Zoe who made the famous quote, "Life needs to be accessorized." These two women have very distinct images that represent them to an entirety. I wouldn't dare try to emulate their style because it is quintessentially them. Zoe is bohemian extraordinaire, and Iris is...well...she's Iris.

So today, while I may attempt to up the ante in my accessorizing quota, because I'm a minimalist at heart, you'll see that even my idea of maximum, still resonates as scaled back. With today's outfit selection, my choices are quiet and relaxed, with garments with simple shapes - a pair of dark rinsed denim, and a drapey off-the-shoulder top. The design of the top is one of the best of this type - the shoulders stay in place, and the fabrication allows the garment to move without wrinkling. You'll understand why I kept the garments simple in contrast to the bold necklace, and large sunglasses. I hope you enjoy the style story and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


Disclaimer: This post is in partnership with Chico's. I received compensation in exchange for sharing with my blog public. Although this post is a partnership, all opinions are my own.

A beautifully constructed, dramatic necklace, in colors that remind me of cascading water, is worn to create an element of surprise in this calming and leisurely ensemble. Typically, when I expose my shoulders, I prefer to keep the entire area bare, free from necklaces, but with large hoop earrings. But for today, since I'm sporting such an artistic piece, accompanied with large sunglasses, I chose to scale back my earrings. The look represents an inner calm, yet it taunts my ability to make a statement...but in a reserved and quiet way.

Off-the-Shoulder Top and Aaren Bib Necklace
courtesy of Chico's

Outfit Details - Off-the-Shoulder Top: Chico's; Aaren Bib Necklace: Chico's; Petite Curvy Kick Crop Jeans: Ann Taylor Loft; Strappy Thong Sandals: Ann Taylor Loft; Round Tortoise Sunglasses: Ann Taylor Loft (Sold out. Try the similar Oversized Round Sunglasses), Polish is Onyx Rush by Maybelline.





Here are (3) three accessorizing faux pas. Keep in mind, I am a petite, minimalist, so these faux pas are geared toward people like myself.

#1: The Over-Crowded Catastrophe: Big necklace, big earrings, big sunglasses, big hair, and big hat...hello are you in there? Why? You ask. Well because I can't see your face. Here's the general rule of thumb. Big necklace - small or no earrings. Big earrings - small or no necklace. Because I wear my hair ultra short, I can get away with a tiny earring. Now for a moment, close your eyes and imagine this look if I had on all the BIG items I just mentioned. A bit much. Don't you agree?

#2: The Scale Offender: Like I mentioned above - I am a petite woman. I stand at just over 5 feet tall, and I wear a size 6. The scale (or size) of accessories matters to me. Just like my clothing, I pick accessories which are comparable to my size. A very large wide-brimmed hat, plus big sunglasses, and large handbag would swallow me whole. Since the scale of the necklace is large, this is why I chose to wear an off-the-shoulder top in a soft fabric - the bare skin creates an illusion of simplicity, and not being over-worked.

#3: The Bolder the Better: This is when a person decides to go full throttle with boldness. Now that I'm wearing a bold dress, let me bring it up by wearing all my bold accessories with it. The results...statement overkill. It's not necessary to do this. Let one item take center stage.





  
 

There you have it friends, some of my tips on how I accessorize. If you enjoyed this mini-series, please let me know if you would like to receive more fashion tips on other subjects. I look forward to your comments and questions. And again, thank you to Chico's for providing me with such lovely accessories and clothing because #HelloImFabulous {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

24 comments:

  1. That necklace is every bit of fabulous. I know I need to step up my accessory game. Honestly, it's just one of those things I don't really think about until I'm finished dressing and I start looking for the "completer" piece. Sometimes I think I focus too much on the overall picture and not enough on the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Daenel. I LLLOOOVVVEEE this necklace! Careful attention to the details are so important. But like I said in The Icing: Minimum, accessories can either complete a look, or ruin it.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous look, I love that necklace - looks like a mermaid's prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Bonnie. It's so pretty and well made. It lays perfectly against my chest, and it isn't heavy.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous necklace! As always you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephannie! I died when I saw this necklace. Wearing it resurrected me :)

      Delete
  4. This look is just flat out gorgeous! I so agree with your comments on scale. That has everything to do with everything we wear, from prints, to handbags, to everything. That is so important to remember. I absolutely love the top. The color is just divine and that necklace is perfect, I would very much wear this and I am a minimalist. A minimalist who likes to have fun with jewelry now and then! You have nailed it once again. I can't get over that top. There is something about the shade of it, and the design, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Karen. There have been times when I adored a print, but chose to pass on it because it was too large or overwhelming for my size. The top is perfection. The fabric is just lovely. I wore it the entire day and had absolutely no wrinkles, and it stayed in place. I didn't have to keep tugging at it like most off-the-shoulder tops. It was perfect for such a bold necklace, which by the way, lays perfectly against my chest. I got stopped all day with people asking about my outfit. Thanks Karen!

      Delete
  5. Your tips make perfect sense. The necklace looks great on you. It's not a style that is flattering for me, but viva la difference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When a necklace is that outstanding - as you say just like a cascading waterfall, let it take the spotlight. The off the shoulder number is the perfect shape and colour tone for the necklace. Wonderful.
    I love the titles of these two posts! Inspired.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqueline, I agree, with a necklace as outstanding as this, there's no need for competition. I'm glad you enjoyed the series.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for talking about scale. You gave some good rules of thumb to go by. Gorgeous necklace that looks great with your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I learned to pay attention to scale when I was very young.

      Delete
  8. This is how it is done! Perfect finesse Glenda. Love your three pieces, and the bold necklace that clearly takes center stage!
    Yes!!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, thank you! The necklace is so stunning.

      Delete
  9. Lady... you've got style!! and you wear it well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this off the should blouse with that necklace. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! You can grab yours from Chico's :)

      Delete
  11. That necklace is insanely cool. I love it with the off-the-shoulder look. I have not worn much jewelry for most of my life but just lately I'm starting to do it. Finding the right look is not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm following your guide like a good student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoy accessories. When a was a personal shopper, I use to advise clients to invest in good pieces that will stand the test of time. Always remember, my faux pas are a guide. Buy what speaks to your beautiful spirit, Connie. You can't go wrong that way.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful look Glenda. I love the accessories.

    http://fashionablyidu.blogspot.com/2016/05/pedals-and-petals-feat-jord-wood-watch.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that top and the necklace is just a bonus. You give jeans an elegant look. Me and accessories are not good friends and I need to step up my game.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda