5.19.2016

Inspired By...Chanel!

Excuse me while I continue my obsession with Cuba. If you tuned into So What to Twenty on May 9th, I took you on a virtual fashionable journey in a post called, In the Meantime...Let's Go to Cuba. I shared an Ah-May-Zing video of the Chanel Cruise (Resort) Collection 2017. If you haven't yet watched the show, I urge you to do so. The event took place in the city center of Havana, Cuba, and was a feast of deliciousness...the fashions, the live music, the atmosphere. Oh my goodness, I can go on for days about this show. It was Karl Lagerfeld at his very creative best. He managed to capture the Cuban spirit while still maintaining the essence of historic Chanel. 

I have watched the video many times since I shared it with you. I was deeply inspired. There are so many looks I want to recreate. I loved the details that gave the garments character..the cigar box handbags, the spats, all the incredible flat sandals, fedoras, large flower pins, and the cummerbunds. Since I'm just wrapping-up a two-part mini series on accessories, I thought it would be fun to show you how I created my own Inspired by Chanel ensemble with the clever use of accessories that scream Cuba. Keep in mind, in today's look, if it were not for the accessories, I would be sporting a simple pair of trousers and white top. I hope you enjoy today's style story and I'll meet you below in the comment section.


To capture the spirit of a Cubana, I decided to adopt a couple looks from the Chanel collection (see the below looks I used for inspiration). Though I do own a pair of black and white spats, since my fedora is straw, and to give the look a more summer-time feel, I chose to wear sandals. The corset was an absolute must, along with the more masculine sandal, they both help to give the look a twist on masculine and feminine. To give the look even more flavor, I pushed my fuller sleeves up past my elbows. To complete the look, I added touches of antique gold.

Outfit Details - White Top: Anthropologie (purchased years ago); Wide-Leg Trousers: Jones New York (Love the DKNY Wide Leg Pant at Nordstrom); Anthropologie Gravia Corset Wrap Belt (I found a couple on eBay), Fedora: H&M; Polish is Personally Speaking by Nicole by OPI; Sandals: Sam Edelman 'Corey' (I found a few on eBay)









Two Chanel looks that inspired today's style story:
Look 10 - Chanel Resort 2017

Look 73 - Chanel Resort 2017


A visit to Cuba must be placed on my To Do list. Everything about it sounds fascinating...the food, culture, the people and of course, the fashions. Tell me friends, what do you think of my Chanel inspired look? Does it make you want to go to Cuba {wink}

Did you read my mini series on Accessories called The Icing? If not, join them on these two links:

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

27 comments:

  1. great look. you look like you just stepped into one of the great public squares in havana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yes, that's what I was going for. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I have always been a Chanelophile but this Cuban Collection has me bonkers! You have done such a great interpretation of the look. All you need is a cigar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you're so right. After the shoot I told my hubs I should have got one of those bubblegum cigars as a prop. Shucks. I'll do it next time.

      Delete
  3. You look great in a hat! I wish I could say the same. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene I can't imagine you not looking great in a hat... perhaps you haven't found the right style.

      Delete
  4. You look fabulous (as always) and I love learning about Cuba since we weren't allowed there for so long. What wonderful opportunities you created for yourself! Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! Thank you so much. I LLLLOOOVVVEEE talking about fashion and style. I hope you all feel my excitement about the subjects. One of these days, I hope to visit Cuba. In the meantime, I can only fantasize about it.

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to go to Cuba. Loving this effortlessly stylish look. Everything about this outfit is chic. I love the hat and the sandals look cute and comfortable. Great look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LV. When I found the sandals, they immediately reminded me of Cuba...sort of that play on masculine and feminine.

      Delete
  6. I totally see the Chanel inspiration! I love this look, your judicious sue of accessories clinched it! That at, the jewels, the waist line!
    Perfect!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Elle, the waist belt is everything. I snatched it last year on clearance. I love wearing it. It has the ability to bring so much character to whatever I style it with. Thank you friend!

      Delete
  7. Quite the outfit. Stylish and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brenda. Yes, it is very comfortable.

      Delete
  8. I thought i'd see you strutting the runway with your stylish ensemble. You're sporting that hat! It seems you find all the great pieces that not only accent your figure but also enhances your style.. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamala, you wouldn't be able to tell me anything if I were in the fashion show (lol). Thanks lady. I already had these pieces and was able to put them into a Cuban inspired look. Glad you like it.

      Delete
  9. Love this look on you Glenda, you sure look great in a hat! Love the gold bracelets and the sandals too.
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, I'm thankful I have a hat head because I love wearing them. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  10. You're a natural born model, so everything looks great on you! But the way you tell a story through your poses and styles convey message, culture and desire....just wow! Yes....it draws me to Cuba, and sends me to my closet to see how I can re imagine what's there to look this chic! Well done as always, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Joan. Thank you. I'm in no way a real model, but I do have the ability to transport myself into whatever story I'm trying to tell. Since I'm a huge fashion history buff, I imagine the mood. The shot in the doorway, I thought of a Cubano existing a smoking bar.

      Delete
  11. That hat, and the way you wear that blouse with such panache! A show stopper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm ready to go to Cuba! What a fun, stylish look you've recreated. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's go together, Brenda! Thank you :)

      Delete
  13. Love love love!! Or as they say in Cuba, Amor Amor amor!! There is something so classic, sexy yet still comfy and casual about these styles! Going to watch the Chanel video now!! Muy hermosa!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a wonderful job!! Really good.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda