5.28.2016

Free Spirit

One of the best aspects of being a style blogger/influencer is having the freedom to tell my story through fashion, and then completing the tale by taking pictures in places that inspire me. One of my favorite locations is in our local art district. A community which was once considered the "bad" part of town - in recent years, has begun a massive transformation: old buildings are now converted into lofts and studios; walls are decorated with murals; the streets are lined with unique music venues, eateries, and vintage shops. When I'm there, I feel like I'm home. The people mill about with their own art projects...some are painting, soldering, drawing...you hear the sound of jazz streaming out windows. There's no pretentiousness - just an atmosphere of creative development - a place where I feel welcomed, unrestrained...a free spirit

While finishing up a recent photo shoot, a young woman stuck her head out her window and said, "Please come in and see what I'm working on." We entered her dwelling/art studio and were greeted by the sounds of singer/bassist, Esperanza Spalding; the smell of incense permeated the air; her walls were covered with incredible depictions of butterflies and legendary jazz artists. I don't typically enter the homes of people I don't know, but for some reason, I felt free to do so. We exchanged ideas about culture, art and music, and then concluded our chat with the exchange of business cards, and a hug. I felt like I had spent time with a sister - another free spirit.

For today's style story, I return to the place that encompasses my soul - the art district. To get the perfect shot, I twirl and dance about with a tune in my head called, Jazz Ain't Nothin But Soul. There are no judging eyes, just other free spirits passing by with a knowing smile; one even suggest we use his graffiti scarred metal roll door as a back-drop (you'll see it in some of the shots). Enjoy the pictures, and I'll meet you below in the comment section. 


What better way to represent my free spirit than to dress in clothing that gives me the ability to do so - clothes that do not restrict, but swirl and dance in playful movement. Soft, artful layers glide over my silhouette - enhance who I am, rather than conceal. Tassel-tied shoes and jewelry are the perfect choice for such a bohemian inspired look - with just a loosening of the tie - they evoke thoughts of a life led free.  

Outfit Details - Petite Chambray Peplum Cami (also in regular): Ann Taylor Loft; Peasant Skirt by Max Studio: Purchased in a consignment shop near my home; Tasseled Ankle Tie Heels: Ann Taylor Loft; Double Tassel Beaded Necklace: Ann Taylor Loft; Round Keyhole Sunglasses: Ann Taylor Loft; Polish is Cosmo-Not Tonight Honey by OPI

 


  



 

The song playing in my head - for all the free spirits, here is
Esperanza Spalding performing - Jazz Ain't Nothin But Soul


I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed bringing it to you. If you read my inspirational memoir - A Place Called Peace, you understand my joy in finally living the life I desired - one of artistic expression; without constraints inflicted on me by others; one of peace...one as a free spirit {wink} 

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe & Tell
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

30 comments:

  1. Love chambray for warmer weather, and I like how the top mimics the skirt. This really works in this outfit. Sounds like a fascinating place, the art district. There is something freeing about being who you are rather than conforming to a set of dictates or the expectations of others. More of us should learn how to do that at least some of the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, the feel of this chambray is ultra soft. Reminds me of silk. I tried something different with this combo. Typically I wear fitted tops with fuller skirts, but this just works. Like you said, the two mimic each other which makes it cohesive.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Kellyann! I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely story . I can feel your free spirit and great style from the South of Spain.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful. Then I accomplished my goal. Love to you in Spain.

      Delete
  4. Glenda, what a great story about people connecting over art and music! The. Best. (Esperanza Spaulding fan here, too.) I love the movement and "swing" in these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a wonderful feeling to connect on an artful level. Thank you so much Susan!

      Delete
  5. Perfect backdrop. Love the mood of this piece and the perfect musical accompaniment in Esperanza Spaulding. That outfit shouts summer at the beach... in the city... anywhere. Love the freedom in these shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always thrilled when my posts translate and relatable.

      Delete
  6. Great commentary on being free, love the skirt and top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free to Be is so special to me and you look Fantastic in this outfit. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am completely in love with that top! It fits you perfectly!

    Highland Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great top. It feels like silk!

      Delete
  9. I love the tassel in the jewelry and shoes! The whole look is very fun and 'free-spirited'! You look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What has struck me from meeting you. What has struck me each time I visit your blog. Is how deftly you story tell through your fashions 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you notice, Carla. I always wanted my blog to be much deeper than - Here is my white top. The End.

      Delete
  11. love your style =)
    kisses from Italy
    http://blamod.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the story of your entereing the artist's home, and felling connected! That is a great tale to share. Speaking of which you have won the writing contest! I will send something out to you as soon as I get back to the city!
    Love this denim and black ensemble, and the tassel necklace, too! Hmm//
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, I'm so excited! I don't win items too often, so this announcement made my day. It was a memorable experience. I plan on returning to her studio to purchase a piece.

      Delete
  13. What a great story Glenda! I love art districts in any area, we shoot at the downtown LA one all the time and it is so inspiring. Love your look, what a great top and those shoes are just fab!
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, art districts are the greatest. I love the minds of artists. Thanks Nora! The shoes are quite comfy and the top feels like silk.

      Delete
  14. Fabulous! What gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda