5.24.2016

15 Shocking Secrets About Glenda


Hi Friends!

We have so many new friends in the So What to Twenty community, I thought I'd use this time to share some of my deepest secrets...the good, the bad, and the stylish. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One: Pray you never have to go up against me in an eBay auction. Chances are you're going to lose. Yep, I consider myself an eBay expert.

Two: I'm a rare bird - I LLLOOOOVVVVEEEE to exercise! That's right, I love it so much, it is difficult for me to begin my day without some type of physical activity. It not only keeps me fit and energized, but it helps me to find inner peace and direction.

Three: I am a HUGE germ-a-phobe. I would rather hug a person than shake their hand. Door knobs, public restrooms, and many others items give me the heebie-jeebies. I've passed on attending certain events that only have portable-potty facilities. Once, my family went to a festival and I refused to eat or drink so that I wouldn't need to use the restroom. Guess what?...I fainted from dehydration.

Four: I recently wrote and self-published my first book - an inspiration memoir called, A Place Called Peace. Writing a book was a behemoth of an accomplishment, and I'm so glad I did it.

Five: I have been immersed in the fashion industry over 95% of my life. I became keenly aware of my passion at a very young age. When it came time for college, my mother and I determined there was only one school suitable for my insatiable appetite for all things fashion - The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. I graduated from FIDM in 1986 with a degree in Marketing/Merchandising. I went on to work in various aspects of the industry: Retail Management, Store Merchandiser, Personal Wardrobe Stylist, Newspaper Style Columnist, and now as a freelance Writer/Blogger, Brand Ambassador, and Influencer.

Six: I consider my wardrobe to be the cast of characters in the story of my life. Meaning, I use clothing to help tell my story.

Seven: I've been married for close to 24 years to my husband/photographer. We met in church, and it wasn't love at first sight. In the beginning, I considered him a bossy, jerk. Over time we became friends, and the rest is history. Together we have two teenage sons. One son is an exceptional musician (and I'm not just saying this because he's my son) who has played with many big named jazz artist; and my other is an athlete who loves football and track & field.


Eight: I'm in the beginning stages of my second book, and it's about my favorite subject - STYLE.

Nine: I don't really like eating meat. 

Ten: In my opinion, Anthropologie is the holy grail in shopping for the creative types. I think I'm obsessed with this place. No matter where I travel, I seek them out, and I need to take a spin around the store at least once a week. I don't always buy, but something about the store inspires me.

Eleven: I once had dinner with the entire Raiders football team (when they were with Los Angeles). How? Well, one of my cousins is married to James Lofton (football hall of fame), she invited me to one of the games and afterward, the team went to eat in a local Los Angeles hotel. If you're a football fan, this was the year when Willie Gault, Marcus Allen, and Bo Jackson were all on the team. Willie Gault kissed my right cheek and I swore I'd never wash that cheek again (smile). When my youngest son was born, one family get-together, James held my son for most of the day...I think that's why my baby is now in love with the game.

Twelve: I'm called upon by my former college, FIDM, to report and write on their events. FIDM is considered the fashion hub for Los Angeles, and the home of the costumes for the Academy of Motion Pictures. 

Thirteen: My favorite pieces in my wardrobe are my collection of white tops. 

Fourteen: What makes my fashion ensembles unique? I always try to have an unexpected element.

Fifteen: I recently loss 1/2 of my body weight by adopting good eating habits, and a consistent workout routine. When I began blogging, I wore between a size 12 & 14 - I now wear a six. Don't believe the rumors...it is possible for midlife women to drop the weight and tone-up. I'm proof.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~

O.k., so they may not have been all that shocking, but I've always wanted to write this type of headline {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

32 comments:

  1. Great post Glenda, very inspirational especially writing and self publishing your book. Love you top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elsie! Thank you very much. Yes, that was quite an accomplishment.

      Delete
    2. I Have totally enjoyed reading this about you. I knew it was a good reason why I love reading your blog.. your are such an inspiration to me. I was losing hope in trying to lose weight. I went from a 4 to an 8 after I turned 50 and struggle. Time to really get off my butt. Kudos on starting your 2nd book

      Delete
    3. Jamala, thank you! You're a sweetheart. Yep, getting off the butt is key. But once you start, it becomes like brushing your teeth.

      Delete
  2. I adore number six. And your number six with clothing is my number six with spectacles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your other cast members, Carla!

      Delete
  3. So cool to learn more about you! Thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. I've been reading for awhile now and I learned some fun, new things about you! I am also a long-time Raiders fan (you have to have second and even third choices when all you've got is the Browns!!) and loved that story! I'm going to be at Anthro on Friday and can't wait to see the new stock! I'm with you on being inspired just walking through the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Karen, get ready for Anthro. I have to bite my tongue when I go in there. I want to buy one of everything. Good luck! Yes, my Raiders experience is one I'll never forget. I really didn't know much about football, but thought Willie Gault was super fine...still do :)

      Delete
  5. WOW, nice way to open up, enjoy the read and the idea of opening up, have a wonderful day and continued and great success with all your endeavors

    ReplyDelete
  6. You a very interesting woman, congratulations on the weight loss you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always knew you were exciting & very fashionable, so not shocking news to me (LOL). I love to see you in white you always make it look colorful and glad we met on this blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Neti! So...my stories weren't shocking enough (lol)?

      Delete
  8. It was great learning all your deepest, darkest, secrets! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, you won't be able to look at me the same :)

      Delete
  9. I always wondered who your photographer was! And you inspire me to continue to lose weight. It is challenging, but I am determined! So happy to learn more about you, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, yep, le Hubs is my photog, and he does a really nice job. I've been exercising so consistently it has become a part of my life. You'll get there. Don't give up. Soon you'll see results - the best motivation.

      Delete
  10. No. 6 is profound, but not shocking. i ams o glad to see you grow, ( and shrink) for the time I have known you,Glenda. I am so proud of you!!
    That is funny about your husband, it is not always love at first sight!
    I think it is better to hug than shake hands, from any point of view.
    I am immune suppressed, but not afraid of germs, which is silly, I know!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I tell some about my wardrobe philosophy, they look at me strange. But for me, it is very true, and always has been. Regarding le Hubs, yep, he was over the college group at church and he was very bossy.

      Delete
  11. You're writing a book about style?? Yay!!!! I can't wait!! I'll be hanging out at Anthro waiting for my copy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Connie! I finally put it out there to the public, so now it means I'm serious.

      Delete
  12. Lovely reading these little Glenda-ography. :) And most of all, I am excited that you're working on another book. Have a great journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Natalia, I'm taking the GIANT step again. Now, at least, I know what to expect.

      Delete
  13. Just found you, love your attitude!! I'm older than you, but also think peace in your life makes it so much better. Cute white top..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Losing half your weight... my goodness. I knew you lost weight, but I didn't know it was that much.
    I hate exercising, quite the opposite of you, although I go to fitness twice a week.
    I have been to an Anthropologie store twice, one in Vancouver and one in London. Could not find anything in there that I want. Bizar isn't it? Every blogger I know loves Anthropologie and has the best purchases from them.
    Knew a lot of the facts you told us, the germ phobia was a new thing to me. You can cure that. I am "cured" from a spider phobia. Was it pleasant? No not really, but it wasn't half as bad I expected it to be and I am sooo grateful I had the guts to do something about it.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetje, I don't know how I missed your comment. Sorry for the delay. Yes indeed, I lost quite a bit of inches and weight. Exercising is a zen experience for me. It not only keeps me in shape physically, but mentally as well. I have noticed my clarity is much sharper when I workout. Anthropologie isn't for everyone. It has a magpie, vintage feel to it. I love it! My mother worked in environmental health for most of her working career. She told horror stories that have stayed with me.

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing! Within the last six months or so, I discovered your blog. I love your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trinity! Thank you so much and welcome to the community ;)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda