4.04.2016

Here Comes Lhuillier

My drive into the sophisticated community of Palm Desert, California, to attend Fashion Week El Paseo, was met with eager anticipation. My first runway show was internationally recognized and fellow FIDM grad, designer - Monique Lhuillier. A perfect way to begin a celebration of fashion. As usual, Fashion Week El Paseo pulled out all stops to create a grand affair. Needless to say, I was not disappointed in the exquisite attention to details. There is no wonder why this fashion week has grown to be the largest on the West Coast. The week will continue with runway shows from Zandra Rhodes, Marc Bouwer, Michael Costello and the Stars of Project Runway, FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Debut, and Le Chien Couture. My final show of the week will take place on Thursday evening with FIDM Debut 2016. For now, here is a taste of what I experienced thus far...

 Monique Lhuillier
In the past, she focused most of her attention on designing bridal, and red carpet gowns for Hollywood stars, but after viewing this collection, I got the feeling Monique Lhuillier is ready to come out and play. Her game of choice - Here Comes Lhuillier.
No longer bound to satin bridal whites, the Lhuillier collection was a sumptuous mix of textures and patterns - a far cry from 'Here Comes the Bride.' Intricate brocades, floral appliques, lush pajama influences, dazzling metallics, and cheeky rhinestone socks made for an eclectic mix that's reminiscent of her style muse - Talitha Getty.
Many of the pieces felt vintage and nostalgic, which reminded me of the movement stirred-up by Alessandro Michele at Gucci. Nonetheless, in spite of some similarities, I still had a strong urge to become more adventurous in my dress. My propensity to sometimes play it safe was challenged after seeing such a vast variety of texture combinations and playful mixes of color. I wonder if Lhuillier realized she cemented the idea of fashion conformity being a huge no-no? I'm sure I wasn't the only one who added rhinestone bobby socks to their must-have list.
My favorite look from the catwalk. I died for the coat.

  


Rhinestone socks add fashion rebellion to this sweet gown.


Lhuillier still showed pieces that remained close to her bridal roots.


 
  

 


In the game, Here Comes Lhuillier, there are no set rules in fashion, rather, it's a form of expression that symbolizes the woman who wears them. So I ask - Are you ready to play? {wink}
Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Photographs by Fred Harrison for So What to Twenty!


12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos of fabulous clothes. Thanks for sharing this! My favorite is the bold red dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such beautiful pieces. I adore that vintage style. So flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her clothes are absolutely stunning. How wonderful for you to have been able to see the fashion show.

    Mary
    Literary Gold - Free and Bargain priced books
    Jingle Jangle Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Love the combination of patterns and textures she uses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! I love all the greens and reds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine how exciting to see the show. . (I remember how I use to love attending the Ebony Fashion Fair. . Omg !I use to dream of being one of their models - I hate they stopped those shows, god I miss them ) but her designs are beautiful and I love how they are vintage inspired. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous - all of it! That last gown is amazing, and I want the dress with the green lace overlay NOW! The whole collection is just full of fabulous, fun clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed seeing the fashions! For some reason I was very much drawn to the formal wear, that red dress and the one with the roses on the skirt....just amazing!! I do love those socks, have to say! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great selection. the red dress grabbed my attention right away
    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am totally with you on that coat. Monique uses fabulous fabrics/materials. So many things I loved. I am still having problems with liking socks in pumps.. I know I am slow. I probably will start liking it when it goes out of fashion again.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all, fabulous capture of the Monique Lhuillier El Paso Fashion Week, I felt like I was there. When I think of this designer, I am reminded as you mentioned of her beautiful gowns for brides and red carpet elegance. It's great to see Monique expand her reach with every day style options.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda