4.26.2016

Fashion Iconology

This sponsored post is in partnership with Chico's. I received compensation in exchange for sharing with my blog public. Although this post is sponsored, all opinions are my own.

Some suggest fashion choices should be governed by a particular set of rules - many of which can be deemed as antiquated. By giving this type of fashion advice, it's as if fashion, or one's taste and lifestyle remain the same, or should I say undisturbed. On the contrary, in my world, fashion has the ability to ebb and flow within every aspect of my life. Fashion Iconology is my method of interpretation, and I embrace it with my whole heart. It's not about the actual garments, rather, the story I wish to tell. When you're able to view fashion on this level, you're able to see far and wide into greater possibilities. After all, a great storyteller doesn't rely on typical characters, but seeks to find a unique voice. If you don't believe this to be true, then you're probably still of the mindset of 'matching your shoes and handbag' and other stale fashion regulations. 

Here's the big question, "How does one tell a convincing and interesting fashion story if you don't know the character?" Yes, that is the million dollar question. The BIG Reveal ---> You must know yourself (the character) before you're able to embrace fashion on this more introspective and creative level. While some view garments as simply a way to cover their nakedness, I view fashion as an extension of my life...somewhat as the cast of characters in this true story called, Glenda. I know Glenda very well, and because of this, I'm able to dive into many different looks while not loosing sight of who I am. Sometimes Glenda is nostalgic for the era in which she was born (the 60s); then there are times when Glenda feels classic and traditional; there are times when Glenda feels connected with her bohemian and Southwestern roots; and then there are times when Glenda feels completely irreverent and the need to buck the system comes into play. I wrote more about the subject in a post called Knowing Your Fashion Personality 101.   

For today, I'm very much in touch with my Southwestern and relaxed, bohemian roots. Being a native Californian with a passion for the arts, this type of look is a mainstay in my style story.

A woman's face is concealed behind her wide-brimmed hat. Without knowing her identity, what do her clothes say about her? She is comfortable and relaxed with who she is; slightly irreverent by her distressed boyfriend jeans; she's coquettish by the way she reveals her bare shoulders; her fashion choices are dictated by the life she leads - one of adventure, artistic development and freedom.                                 To be continued....


The featured item in this style story comes courtesy of Chico's 

More Outfit Details:  Wide off the shoulder Top: H&M Conscious (Sold out in stores but still available on eBay); Braided Belt by Ralph Lauren (Many Braided Belts on eBay); Wide-Brim Fedora: Forever 21 (a few years ago. Huge selection of Fedora's on Shopstyle); Boots by Ralph Lauren via TJ Maxx; Lariat Bird Necklace purchased from a boutique near my home (similar lariat bird necklaces on eBay)









 The story continues...
Finally she reveals her face. She offers a reassuring smile. Like the necklace she wears around her neck - she is as free as a bird. She lives a life undefined, and certainly not dictated by the fashion rules of others. Her life is one which captures the imagination of those seeking to discover their own style story. This is Glenda's Fashion Iconology {wink}
Before you go...
I'm the featured blogger over at Vibrant Nation. Click the link to read the interview, and,
Pop over to BLOOM and find out how Branching Out from the norm is good for your soul.
Gateway to Bloom


Stay Fabulous,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:

Link Up: 
Visible Monday
Fun Fashion Friday
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

32 comments:

  1. That top is fabulous!! Since my arms aren't what they were when I was 30, they're not BAD, but not what they were!!, I like how you can do the bare shoulder look and still cover part of the arms. This works for me! Looks great on you! So much of my time (5 long days each week) is spent dressed up for work (no denim in any form, no business casual in my job), when the weekend comes I'm pretty much wiped out and don't get out as much as I'd like, unless it is to a park to decompress. Shopping even is done on the way home from a day at the office. I need to work on my casual life Glenda! Getting dressed as you show here happens only when I go somewhere 'out' on the weekends, and sad to say that doesn't happen all that often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, there are so many options available for off the shoulder looks. Stores such as Chico's and Loft carry them with full upper arm coverage.

      I understand how you much feel after working a long work week. Fortunately I work from home and I'm able to set my own hours. I enjoy my recreation time, whether participating in something active like swimming at the beach, bike riding, or taking in an exhibit, my time away from my desk is very precious. This is so important Karen. You have to do something for Karen. Even if it's a small outing of having coffee and croissant in a local coffee shop. Just something to break the routine of life.

      Delete
    2. Okay, the coffee and croissant did it Glenda! I'd get dressed up for that in a split second!! That's simple enough, and still relaxing! Being outside is really important to me and when we finally have some consistently warm weather, I'll be getting out a lot more often! Thanks for the encouragement!!

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed Karen, if you don't take this time for yourself, you're doing a major injustice to your mind and body. You need this time to refuel and disconnect from work. You need to tune in to your needs.

      Delete
  2. What a great look/story! That hat!!!!! So fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your posts so much Glenda, especially the story element. I'm finding my way back to fashion after a long time of not allowing my personality to show via my clothes. It's fun and I'm glad to have you as my guide to what works now. You're always a fab inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dina, I'm glad you enjoy the style stories. Well, as you gathered, my idea of dressing is far more meaningful than simply dressing my body. It truly is a part of my life and the way I like to communicate. You'll find your way back. Take it slow and get to know what you love all over again.

      Delete
  4. Very good...!!! I love your smile in the last picture. That top is fabulous for you as you have fabulous shoulders. Which you know. Of course.
    I still cannot get my head round summer tops with boots. My thing... I love the look, but I keep thinking.. "one end is either too cold or the other end is too hot".
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greetje. As you know, I pay careful attention to my shoulders because I enjoy exposing them. The day I took these photos, it was only about 65 degrees, so wearing the boots wasn't so bad. I would never wear them on a very hot day.

      Delete
  5. Southwestern Elegance is what you captured in this photo and I love that top on You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a cool description - Southwester Elegance. Thanks Neti!

      Delete
  6. How right you are, Glenda. A picture is a visual story, it articulates a thousand thoughts with nary a word spoken. And yours is very clear. Laidback. Confident. Comfortable. And, of course, quite lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheela, you just made me blush. Thank you so much for your lovely words.

      Delete
  7. Fab again. I could do the jeans, not the top. You look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth! Yes, the jeans are great fun, indeed.

      Delete
  8. Great denim on denim look! I agree that my style really changes with what's my life and trends that I want to adapt.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice! The top is actually cotton.

      Delete
  9. Such a great look! Love this post, and that top and hat are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I'm glad you enjoyed the post :)

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness Glenda, I LOVE your look! The over the shoulder top is such a great look on you, and paired with the distressed jeans and hat - perfection!! You are killing it lately.

    Cherie
    STYLE NUDGE
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie! I believe what you see is utter confidence.

      Delete
  11. Glenda my dear, you are looking sexxxxxy! Thanks so much for linking up with Fun Fashion Friday & enjoy your weekend!

    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn I'm blushing big time! Thank you :)

      Delete
  12. You are very organic in relaxed California styles, Glenda! It really seems to be in your blood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Natalia. I love the whole California vibe. It runs through my veins.

      Delete
  13. Fabulous look Glenda. You sure do dress and a confident woman who knows her own mind, and values her body! Love the jeans, the gteat OTS shirt, and the color blue on you! Great fedora. I still see you!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see me, Elle? Thanks for the lovely comment.

      Delete
  14. You really do know yourself. As a fellow Californian I have to say that you embody that lovely free Western spirit so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda