3.29.2016

Rule Breaker

Apparently, now that I'm 50, there are certain fashion rules I'm suppose to follow. I'm sure you've heard a few. For instance, make sure skirts and shorts fall at the knee or below, wear sensible shoes, or, save sequin garments for the evenings, yadda yadda yadda. Um yeah...just call me a Rule Breaker

The joy of expressing one's fashion sense is having the ability to break out of the fashion mold, and show who you are without uttering a single word. Tweetable - If we all played by the same rules, getting dressed would be a drag. Fashion Robotism (my new term) would inhibit the meaning of style. Style, is in fact, the anti-fashion. Style could care less about the rules of fashion. Style is a unique expression of one's entire essence. If style was governed by the rules laid down by others, it would become stifled.

For today's look, I buck the fashion rules and embrace that which I do best - I wear what I like. I hope you enjoy the pictures, and I'll meet you in the comment section below.


A sequin vest for day? Yes please! This high voltage vest and badass Michael Kors sandals take a simple tee and cropped boyfriends to another level. Do I feel out of place? Nah...I feel just right. I feel like Glenda. Breaking the fashion rules allows you to get more wear out of your wardrobe. Taking a garment, typically worn for evenings, out for a daytime spin made me feel empowered and somewhat giddy. Like the feeling you get when you have on a really pretty pair of under garments - It's for your own pleasure. 

Outfit Details - Sequin Vest by Katherine Barclay via eBay also many option at Shopstyle); Cozy Cotton Tee: Lou & Grey; Cropped Slim Boyfriend Jeans: Calvin Klein via Marshalls (Almost identical Strom Sexton Slim Boyfriend at Nordstrom); Belt by Nine West via TJ Maxx; Caged Sandals by Michael Kors via TJ Maxx (Love the Blythe Leather Bow Sandal by Michael Kors also love the Topshop Lux Resist Lace-Up); Medium Basic Sunglasses: Loft; Hoop Earrings: the Icing; Nail Polish: Dust of Bronze by Maybelline; Silver bangle: vintage; Heart bracelet: Cookie Lee (Tons of options at Shopstyle)







 


As the "what's age-appropriate" debate continues, and persons create blogs on how and what we should wear during certain times of our lives, I wage a war against fashion robotism. Tweetable: Say No to #fashionrobotism and Yes to being a fashion rule breaker. What are your thoughts? {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:

The reviews are in!
Createspace eStore, Amazon & Kindle
Photographs of Glenda are the property of So What to Twenty!

27 comments:

  1. Love this outfit on You. The rule for 50 and over Gals is - you can wear any and everything you want without regrets. We have earned that right!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Neti, and I agree with your statement.

      Delete
  2. So so much yes.
    As my daughter says to me each time I get dressed – – mama you've just got to do you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have followed any fashion rules - except I did let myself go grey before it became fashionable. I haven't worn vests in years. But, why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went silver two years ago and I love it!

      Delete
  4. I am not big on "age-appropriate" either. I think you look terrific. In fact, I subscribed to your blog because I love your style and attitude!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Carol, thank you very much. Welcome!

      Delete
  5. I love to combine dressy materials with jeans. Love this look! I have a problem with the "rules"too. I think you need to know who you are and what you are comfortable in. We always know then when we have chosen what makes us feel fabulous and what is just all wrong. You went with fabulous here!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen you always have the right words. You are so right. If we allow rules to dictate us, we'll never have the freedom to explore what works.

      Delete
  6. Love this so much. I wish I could wear heels. You rock them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie. I can only wear quality heels. Any other kind hurt.

      Delete
  7. I feel with a good pair of jeans, a blazer and polo shirt you may be right for almost all occasions, also they do allow the wild side to rear it's fashionable head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Wayne. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. I simply adore your sense of fashion, Glenda. Your style is so pretty, casual, but stands out, too. Just beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, thank you. You're very kind. I enjoy the idea of juxtaposition when dressing...always adding an unexpected element. It makes getting dressed fun.

      Delete
  9. Yes, to breaking rules and the high voltage vest. This look is fashion- fantastic! Love each piece! Rules are for breaking, right?
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Elle! No to fashion robotic :)

      Delete
  10. And I say AMEN to that sista! Rigidity in anything is confining and stifling so bend, sway, move, mix it up, liberate is what I gravitate towards.
    I'm generally not a big sequin fan but I adore this sequin waistcoat on you and you've styled it beautifully. And you're so right, why not take an item that might be seen as a more evening one and style it for daytime. I'm all for little twists here and there. More options, more fun!
    I love your expression Fashion Robotism - who wants to be a clone? Not me, that's for sure! When someone dresses true to themselves as you have here, their individualism, personality and naturalness shine through.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed agreed agreed, Jacqueline. So well said. Thank you my fellow petite fashion lover!

      Delete
  11. Love those badass sandals!! You look great and this style totally works at any age. You owned it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You more than pulled this look off Glenda!! It's sassy and I love it. I don't believe in rules around style either. I really appreciate how you defined style, it was so well put. And, need I say that I WANT those sandals!!!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com
    STYLE NUDGE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt sassy in this look, Cherie! The sandals are one of the most comfortable pair I own...even though they may look intimidating :)

      Delete
  13. I think you look splendid in this outfit. Gorgeous sandals again! But breaking the rules? Nah.. not really. I mean, if not wearing evening or party clothes in daytime is a rule, then the world has gone crazy. I love that. My statement for that every day is a party. So celebrate.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To many I broke the rule, but to the adventurous set like yourself - not so much. Thanks Greetje, I really enjoyed wearing this look. And I agree - Every day is a party :)

      Delete
    2. I never see myself as very adventurousm=, but thank you, I'll accept the compliment in gratitude.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda