3.15.2016

Gifted

For my 50th birthday (which took place on Jan 8th), my older sister sent me a simple text message which stated, "I want to make you something for your birthday." My sister, if you didn't know, is a gifted seamstress. When we were young, she use to make all the outfits for my baby dolls, and I never lacked in having a custom made wardrobe. Both my beloved mother and sister were/are gifted in this area. I remember going to the fabric shops with my Mom. I sat patiently while she flipped through the pattern books, and then browsed the endless array of materials. I never got bored with this outing because I knew, in the end, I would have a really cool outfit created just for me. What could be better? Though I have always loved fashion, I never acquired the skill of sewing my own garments. I can get by by putting together small projects, and some alterations, but I choose to leave the big projects to the professionals. 

We are all blessed with our own unique skills and talents. Tweetable: To live a richer life, it would behoove you to honor yourself, and touch the world with your special gift(s). I think of my sons - one who blows my mind each time I witness the majestic way in which he plays his saxophone, and the other who takes his body to its limit while playing sports. As their mother, I embraced their gifts, and dare not try to make them the same person. That would be justly unfair to them. They are uniquely crafted individuals, gifted in their own virtuosity, and for this - I am proud.

For today's post, I pay homage to the gifted individuals who recognize and utilize their talents. I hope you enjoy the look and I'll meet you in the comment section below.


I feel beyond special while dressed in my striking, custom made, Kelly green maxi skirt (my birthday gift from my sister). Who wouldn't feel divine in a garment made to your exact specifications?...made from wool crepe, with pockets, the perfect length, and a coordinating sash. To play with my skirt, I decided to wear a simple tee and bold gold-tone accessories.

Outfit Details - Maxi Skirt: Gifted; Cozy Cotton Tee: Lou & Gray; Sandals by Miss Trish of Capri via Target (very old); Wrap Feather Ring: Anthropologie (Sold Out. Love the Wisp Feather Ring also from Anthropologie); Gold Cuff Bracelet: Ann Taylor Loft (similar Madewell Thin Hinge Cuff); Necklace is vintage via eBay; Nail Polish: An Affair in Red Square by OPI.



 






 

For myself, there is so much joy in forming words into stories, or, taking a simple garment and making it come alive by creating a story with what I wear. Where are you gifted? Don't be afraid to express it, and embrace it. It's time for you to soar {wink}
Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
 You can also find me on the following Social Networks:

Createspace eStore, Amazon & Kindle

Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

39 comments:

  1. what a gorgeous skirt and that colour is wonderful on you - lucky you having such a crafty sister. I love how you equated writing as a craft too (I'm much better at writing than I am at sewing!) Happy belated birthday and welcome to the 50's - they're magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne, absolutely, writing is truly a gift. Not one that everyone has. Thank you for the belated birthday wish. I'm happy to be golden.

      Delete
  2. I too come from a sewing family and I have many fond memories of visiting fabric stores with my mom, and later by myself, paging through the big pattern books and dreaming of what I would make. You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stephanie. When I venture into a fabric store, I'm immediately reminded of those precious times.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely stunning! Love the color and the pairing with the white T and gold sandal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! I'm going to have a great time styling this skirt.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous skirt! Love the color (reminds me of the grass I long to see!) Such a meaningful and perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending warm sun and blue skies you way, Karen. I know how you must long for warmer days. 89 degrees here, today. I love kelly green. Such a fun color to wear and style. Yes, my sister knew my sweet spot. I love personalized clothing.

      Delete
  5. That sister of yours is precious. What a jem of a skirt. I also remember that blue skirt. Also so very good. And you are darned right not to want to mold your children to what you think is good for them but let them enjoy their talents. Good mother.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she is, Greetje. She truly is a gem. I wouldn't have it any other way with my sons. I know how it felt to be compared to my older sister. It wasn't fun.

      Delete
  6. The green skirt is quite stunning. Thank you for reminding us that we all have different gifts and talents and to use the ones we have not wish we had. Happy Belated Birthday! 3-16-2016 fredy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear, Fredy. I appreciate the birthday greeting. Yes, embrace YOUR gift(s). It such a freeing and invigorating experience. Like floating on your back in large body of water...unhurried, uninhibited...relaxing.

      Delete
  7. That skirt is everything!! You look gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! You're a family of very talented ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This skirt is so pretty! I like the necklace too, very bold!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. So you're AKA? Yes, I LOVE this vintage necklace. I always find the coolest things on eBay.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful skirt and I love the color, how apropos for St Patrick's Day ;) I also love how you styled it with a simple tee and sandals leaving the skirt to shine. You have a talented sister indeed.
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nora! The skirt makes a bold statement alone, but I thought doling it with the gold would be fun.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous Kelly green with white - fantastic look on you, Glenda, and given that it's made by your sister, it does make it even more special... You are very encouraging, and I thank you for that. I love it when friends are encouraging, when people are encouraging to others. I think it is one of your talents too. I do believe that we all are gifted. Some people find their talents earlier in life, and others later. Some people have one strong talent, while others are equally strong in a few areas... which can make it tricky to focus on one thing. And of course there are those rare individuals who are all over the place, expressing their gifts in every way they can find - I'd love to become that person some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia, I bet you already are that person. Sometimes we're just not bold enough in certain areas to let ourselves shine. But with a little prodding...
      I love shades of green and yellow. I'm going to have fun with this skirt.

      Delete
  12. That skirt is gorgeous! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy 50th to both of us this year! You look lovely, my dear ... just beautiful!

    Thanks so much for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday & have a great weekend!

    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a vision you must have been, Glenda, wearing an haute couture skirt (which, in essence, it is, fabricated and fashioned just for you) with touches of gold and red. Very regal.

    Yes, while it's true we're all bequeathed with talents in one form or another, I firmly believe that it's those who recognise the blessings in others, and articulate their appreciation thereof, who are the truly gifted ones. It's odd, how we often bite our tongues and not compliment someone on their talents, as though by doing so, we stand to lose something. When in actuality, it's quite the opposite.

    Happy 50th, Glenda, it's going to be a glorious ride :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so correct in your observation. It is truly admirable to acknowledge the gifts of others, and to elevate them in their virtuosity. Thank you so much, Sheela. Yes indeed - haute couture :)

      Delete
  15. Glenda,
    Hi! Your sister is a great seamstress! Your kelly green skirt is stunning. Aside from your sister, wonderful that you recognize that both sons are gifted in different pleasures of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ugeena! Yes, my sister is gifted indeed, and yes, my sons are unique and very different from each other. They both inspire me.

      Delete
  16. Oh Glenda, Dear, you are going to LOVE your 50s! A decade full of joy and wisdom before the Real senior years creep in. You are beyond elegant in this green ball skirt. And I love how you've styled it with a simple tee and sandals. You are definitely gifted in the styling department. Isn't it fun when our loved ones find their talent? I'm always filled with such pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie - I love styling! I am looking forward to my golden years. So far so good. I haven't felt better, both emotionally and physically. I plan on wearing the skirt for my talk at B@M. And you're right, my sons fill me with great pride.

      Delete
  17. Gifted, yes you are! Both by the blessings of a great sister, your own unique talents, and by this ah-mazing skirt! This is so couture looking, and you wear it with such grace! Love the medallion necklace, too!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, you are so sweet. Thank you, my friend. The medallion necklace is the best. I can't wait to wear it with other outfits.

      Delete
  18. My sister and I sew....maybe I'll make something for her birthday....beautiful make, bold and classic....love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you laura! Yes, make her something. I love personal clothing items.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda