3.20.2016

Can I Get an Amen?

So here's the deal...I had been stuck in a blue jean rut. My inventory consisted mainly of skinnies and boyfriends. Why? Well, for one thing, I was afraid to venture out of my denim comfort zone, and second, I found it extremely hard to find a different style of jean to fit my curvy hips and short inseam. I know...I look tall in my pictures, but trust me when I say - I'm not tall, and often times I still have to hem petite pants. 

Well I've got good news to share (enter sounds of a gospel choir) - My denim dull-drums have come to an end, as I have seen the light. Yes, my answered prayers came to my jean wardrobe in the form of retro 70s inspired, petite flares (shouts from the congregation)!! That's right sisters and brothers - can I get an Amen?

I was 10 years old the last time I wore a pair of high-waist flares, complete with front pockets. I remember it well - I wore them with black platform shoes and a tye-dye tee with the Peace symbol on it. I stepped onto the yellow school bus with such a righteous attitude. Funny how fashion comes and goes. This style blue jean is now all the rage and considered "new" with the younger generation. Well step aside kiddos, let this Generation X show you how it's done.  I hope you enjoy the pictures, and I'll meet you in the comment section below.


Outfit Details - Petite Wide-Leg Trouser Jean (also in regular): Ann Taylor Loft; Frilly Top by Odille for Anthropologie via eBay (not the same top, but these two would look amazing with these jeans - Embroidered Sanna Top and Ruffled Plaid Blouse; Ankle Strap Sandal: Ann Taylor Loft; Basic Medium Sunglasses (black): Ann Taylor Loft; Large Hoop Earrings: The Icing; Nail Polish: An Affair in Red Square by OPI

Here's a couple of styling tips for flares - First: They look better when worn with heels. I'm wearing petite and still the hem is quite long. They are meant to be worn long, and you'll notice they all come this way. I love how they make my short legs seem long. Second: The best type of top is one that gives some type of waist definition. Though my top is frilly, it still has a defined waistline.



 


 


So yeah, excuse me while I rock the heck out of my new jeans. I've got a bunch of ways I want to style them. I just scored a cool embroidered vest from eBay. I can't wait to wear the two together. In other words, you may be seeing them a lot on So What to Twenty. Tell me friends, are you willing to go back to the 70s in these retro jeans? If so, can I get an Amen {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:


 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

40 comments:

  1. Well Miss Glenda. I have been waiting for this post ever since you teased us with it on Instagram. I have been in a jean rut myself and I KNEW you would help me out. You are one of my favorite bloggers, as well. Lots of others out there have colorful style but you are the only one that truly inspires my California short girl life. I mean that. I look forward to your posts the way I look forward to my monthly Vogue. Move over Anna Wintour. Now I am off to AnnTaylor Loft. Oh yeah, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, wow, my head just grew a few centimeters. I truly enjoy blogging and putting the information together for all of you. I never let my small stature detour me from rocking certain looks. Fashion is so much fun and I hope it resonates through each of my post. I hope the jeans work out for you.

      Delete
  2. Amen! Might have to look out for some flare jeans and try them again sometimes! Thanks for sharing and daring to try new/old things again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Amen! I was a bit intimated to wear them again, but this style works very well.

      Delete
  3. Wear your jeans with style pride and grace, because you carry all and more very well, enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh what a great fit! I've been thinking about mixing up my jeans as like you, I tend to stick to skinnies. I used to wear quite alot of boot cut but I might invest in a pair like these. They are such a great fit on you Glenda and that top is absolutely spot on to wear with them.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept staring at them in the store, Jacqueline. When I tried them on, I was very pleasantly surprised. Give them a try!

      Delete
  5. Oh these jeans look fabulous, and they bring me back too - yes it all comes around again! xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, and you're absolutely right!

      Delete
  6. Well amen indeed! But first let me say that top is something special!! Oh how I love that! The jeans are perfect. What I really like about them is how they work on curves, how the flare is the perfect balance. I like the deep hem too, which is very retro and cool. That top...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first received the top from eBay, it was a bit tight. Since loosing the weight, it now fits perfectly. Anthro always has the cutest tops! You know this, Karen! Yes, the deep hem makes them look vintage and cool. I love them.

      Delete
  7. Yes, you get an amen,and Brava, and an A ! This looks awesome on you. Love the high waist ( skinny , curvy gal) and pretty floral top. Ruffles, i adore! To you and your 10 year old self, I say AMEN!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle! I never thought I'd wear high waist jeans again, but I really do love these!

      Delete
  8. Those look fantastic on you.
    My inseam is so short I've given up on jeans.
    ((Adds Ann Taylor Loft to list for the week))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carla, Loft has great fitting petite pants. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. These are a great fit for you, Glenda! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fabulous, Glenda! I will never have the body for skinny jeans, so I appreciate a trouser fit. Thank you for sharing this. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patch front pockets, it has been years! The jeans look great and I love the ruffled top to go with. Certainly worth an Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grinning from ear to ear. Thanks Haralee!

      Delete
  12. You look fab in this outfit, Glenda! I love these jeans and the top you paired with them. You gave me inspiration to branch out from the skinny jeans. I agree, that the more flared look is best with a heel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen! I still enjoy a skinny, but these give a nice change. I always find unbelievable items on eBay from Anthropologie...the top was an eBay steal!

      Delete
  13. You look great--and make it look effortless (but we all know better--the search for good-fitting jeans that also look good can be a pain!). Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth. Shopping for jeans is about as painful as bra shopping. But I'm very happy with these! Thanks Roxanne!

      Delete
  14. Amen sister..lol..you are hilarious :) I LOVE those jeans on you, it fits you perfectly and looks so stylish with that pretty top. Fab look Glenda.
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nora! Fashion is fun, right? I like to add a smile to the faces of my friends :)

      Delete
  15. Hallelujah! Yes you are rocking those jeans! I actually have the roughest time finding jeans I don't have the curvy shape so I'm always on the hunt. My search continues but I'm glad to see you've found your "exhale" pair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jamala, now I can exhale. In love with these, and thinking about getting a pair in white as well. Keep searching - you'll find yours.

      Delete
  16. Yay for the perfect jean! And you look adorable in that entire outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous! I think flares are the most flattering leg line that exists. :) Love it with your feminine blouse! I agree about a waist definition, though flares look fantastic with ponchos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalia! I agree, a poncho will give that serious 70s vibe. Very cool :)

      Delete
  18. You can get an Amnfor these jeans and the way they look on you. As you know I also have flared jeans high waisted. I often wear them with fitted jackets as I agree with you, they need a defined waist. But some more boxy tops worked as well. By no means am I going to repeat the seventies though. Been there, done that. Period.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I was a child during the 70s, for some reason, the decades fashions really resonate with me. Very groovy.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda