3.06.2016

Balancing Act

We've all heard lifestyle experts talk about the importance of maintaining a balanced life by not focusing a higher amount of attention on certain aspects. We are to measure and divide our time and commitments into equal portions. By doing so, we become well-adjusted individuals with the ability to move about our lives harmoniously and in a much controlled manner. Failure in mastering balance can lead to a life that is disjointed, and oddly enough - unstable. Though there are times when it seems we're walking on a tight rope - if we slow our pace, try not to waver, place more attention where it is needed, and withdraw from areas that monopolize too much of our time, we'll soon master the balancing act.

For today's style story, I'm wearing an outfit of carefully chosen pieces that demonstrate a concise display in the area of balance and proportion - a play on high and low, in conjunction with fit and flare. I hope you enjoy today's look and I'll meet you in the comment section below.


Standing at approximately 5 feet and 1 inch tall, I rarely heed to the fashion myth which states, "A person of small stature should avoid wearing certain fashions." I'm always of the idea that there is an exception to every rule. Tweetable: When an outfit is carefully orchestrated to include balanced elements, I see no reason why petite woman can't wear certain looks. As a way of dividing into equal parts, today's ensemble follows a typical ABAB format...a cardigan worn high, a peplum which falls low on the hips, pants worn high above the ankle, and low flats. Also, notice the same ABAB format with the play on fit and flare...a fitted cardigan, a flare peplum, fitted pants on top with a flare at the hem. All of these pieces work precisely to make an outfit that is well proportioned and balanced.

Outfit Details: Checked Poplin Peplum by HD Anthropologie (no longer available); Petite Curvy Kick Crop Jeans: Ann Taylor Loft (dark rinse);  Signature Cotton Cardigan (industrial navy): Ann Taylor Loft; Lace Up Flats: Ann Taylor Loft; Blue Floral Wreath Brooch: Purchased from an estate sale (check out brooches on eBay, they have many to choose); Cat-eye Sunglasses: The Getty Museum gift shop (love these cat-eye sunglasses by BCBG Maxazria).



  




 

I agree with the experts in their thoughts on living a well-balanced life. It would appear balance in one's life extends even into the wardrobe as well. At least if you master the two, you'll have much more time to stop and smell the roses. I bet you never saw that coming {wink}

Hey, keep scrolling. Check out last week's post - Carefree and Pulled Together Comfort.

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Up:
Visible Monday
Shoe and Tell
Whitney Nic James
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty! 

33 comments:

  1. You always look taller than your stated height, I'm sure due to your skill in creating proportionate looks. I particularly like wearing fitted jackets/sweaters over peplums styles. I am still looking for the perfect pointy-toe flats, and do like yours. I am always drawn to black and navy and white pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Karen, black and navy is so chic together. I'm always in search of cropped sweaters to wear with my assortment of peplums. There are lots of flat shoes available. I'm sure you'll find your fair share.

      Delete
  2. Love this peplum on you and loving that hair...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Neti. Just call me Silver Locks :)

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love this outfit-so pulled together!
    Bravo again Glenda!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia! Thank you very much :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! And I can't discern your height, only how lovely you are. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peplum and pins suit you!
    Popped by from Visible Monday.
    www.thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tami, thank you for popping over, and thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  6. We don't often see you in flats. And these are lovely indeed. Greetings from another shortie. The best things come in small packages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct, Connie, about not seeing me in flats. However, lately, I've been finding some really adorable styles. I agree - the best things do come in small packages.

      Delete
  7. This is such a fabulous outfit, and yes, very well-balanced. I love the bold black-and-white gingham top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I know the gingham looks black and white, but it's actually navy and white.

      Delete
  8. You certainly have created a wonderfully balanced look here.Love your checked peplum top and those gorgeous flats.As another shortie, I can only agree with Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with Connie as well :) The flats are super comfortable. I'm going to enjoy styling them.

      Delete
  9. You look amazing! I love your peplum top and lace up flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Amy. I'm very happy with both too.

      Delete
  10. Well balanced outfit, indeed. Lovely flats and as always I love the added touch, which in this case is the brooch. :-)

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Whitney. Every so often I'll go into my vintage archives and wear one of my cherished pieces.

      Delete
  11. Lovely composition, both the words and the outfit! The gingham check is a fav and it is great on you in this peplum. Love the strappy flats, and envy that you wear them so well. I have a good inch on you ,but I feel too short without some sort of heel, and my back feels better too with a small heel.
    Here's to balance and taking time to smell the roses!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Elle. You know, on weekends I'm almost always in flats. Unless I'm going to a certain type of event. I have quite a collection of them.

      Delete
  12. What fun photos Glenda! Love the peplum top (which always looks good on you) and those flats are fab!
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nora. I had a great time with this photo session. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Oh yes, two great finds. I paid little to nothing for the top on clearance...and the flats - I adore them!

      Delete
  13. balance is essential to get life right Glenda and obviously it pays off in fashion choices too - you look lovely! So glad I found your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne, I couldn't agree more. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Oh Glenda you look absolutely amazing, love your outfit from head to toe. Love, Kirsten xx

    www.thelifbisue.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the plaid and the shoes are cute. I'm 5 feet even so I can definitely relate to this post!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Robin...I thought you were tall. Pictures are very deceiving.

      Delete
  16. You do peplum better than anyone Glenda!!! It makes me want to go buy a peplum top, I have none. Love the big checks and those great lace up pointy toes!! Thank you for linking up with SHOE AND TELL on Style Nudge

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com
    STYLE NUDGE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie. I do love peplums. The shoes are so fun :)

      Delete
  17. I missed this one too. I know I read it, because I thought "I can do that, as I have a B&W checked peplum as well." Must have been destracted. Looking very good. As always.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda