2.28.2016

Pulled Together Comfort

I'm often asked the question - How do you dress comfortable while still having a pulled together look?

This idea is very simple if you take the time to simplify, but still maintain a high level of dignity with your dress. Often times, the idea of comfort is equated to not caring about your appearance. Sure, we all have those particular items we throw on to lounge around the house. But if you're anything like me, by no means would I allow the public to see me in those garments. They are strictly for my at-home indulgence of eating a bowl of popcorn while watching hours upon hours of Lifetime movies. If anyone other than my immediate family caught me in them I would simply die. You know what I mean...a pair of your son's junior high sweat pants with the worn out elastic, t-shirts with silly sayings, an over-sized mou-mou picked up on clearance for three bucks, jeans with far too many holes. Yes, all of these types of things need to stay in the privacy of our own homes, and away from the judging eye of the public.

For today, I'm sharing a look which I'll deem appropriate as pulled together comfort. A look that is simple, yet still manages to have a bit of finesse. An ensemble which could definitely be worn to a variety of occasions - parent/teacher conference, volunteering, lunch with friends, to the office, business meeting...where ever your life may take you. A little further down, I'll share some tips on how I maintain a pulled together but comfortable look. I hope you enjoy the pictures, and I'll meet you in the comment section.

Outfit Details: Scuba Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft (Last year. Very similar Ponte Flounce Skirt; Short-sleeve Turtleneck by Anne Klein via TJ Maxx (Many short-sleeve turtleneck options on Shopstyle); Opaque Tights: Ann Taylor Loft; Flat Shoes with Ankle Straps: Zara (Last worn in Different).(Unfortunately these are sold out. However, don't fret, they have plenty of interesting flat shoes at Zara); Gold Chain Belt (Mine is a long necklace, but there are many gold chain belts on Amazon; Horseshoe Bracelet: Purchased from Polka Dots and Moonbeams in West Hollywood many years ago. Leather Band Bracelet by Juicy Couture via Macy's (Many Juicy Couture Leather Bracelet on Ebay). Cateye Sunnies from Getty Museums (Identical BCBG Cateye Sunglasses at Nordstrom); Clutch is vintage.


    How to Create A Pulled Together Comfort Look





  1. Save the athletic shoes for the gym and sporting events. Invest in flats that are fun and interesting.
  2. Select garments that are free of complicated details. In order to feel comfortable, you don't want to spend your time futzing with their garments. A minimalism approach to dressing is key.
  3. Don't forget to accessorize. Now's the time to wear basic jewelry pieces: Hoop earrings, studs, etc. Keep it simple and tone it down. Now is not the time to indulge in the 'more is more' philosophy of accessorizing.
  4. Leave the sweat pants at home. Comfort doesn't always mean slouchy. Maintain your fashion poise by selecting garments that fit and flatter your figure, but still offer ease in movement. By fit I mean, not too tight nor too big, but hang on your body in the utmost flattering way.
  5. Keep your color palette simple. My basic rule of thumb is to wear two colors (3 max).
  6. Check out stores like Zara to buy fun and interesting flats. You'll be surprised at the level of comfort in their shoes and the variety is incredible.
  7. One last thing. Though I know many ladies may find this task difficult, but now is the time to scale back on your purse. For me, this process is easy. Since I wear very little makeup and my hair is low maintenance, pairing down into a small bag is super easy. When I don't feel like being weighed down by a big bag, I'll switch into a clutch, a small cross-body or a fashionable backpack.




I hope you enjoyed today's post as much as I enjoyed creating it for you. Just remember, comfort does not mean tacky or slouchy. Always maintain a high level of fashion dignity even when you crave comfort and plan on spending the day watching your children or grandchildren play sports. You'll be happy if you do {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty! 

18 comments:

  1. This look really appeals to me. I like black and camel together. Classy! I struggle to find flats that don't make me feel frumpy, but yours are great thanks to straps and a pointy toe. It is a fashion goal of mine to find some for spring/summer. Must have a Pointy toe! I agree about the lounge wear. I am always taken aback to see someone in a store in what amounts to pajamas, and I've seen it. These are great tips for putting together a comfortable yet classy look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! In my opinion, shoes are crucial in forming a succinct look. I'll never forget the time I was people watching at the Getty Museum. I saw this woman in an adorable short outfit. It was pretty and floral. I looked down at her feet, and what was she wearing?...a pair of athletic trainers. Tisk, tisk, tisk, I wanted to scream. Why didn't she wear a pair of cute flats or sandals? Anyhoo, that memory is forever singed into my brain. Zara has the most unique flats around. Check them out when you begin your shoe quest.

      Delete
  2. I love black and camel together and this is a great casual yet chic look Glenda. I totally agree with you about having certain comfy clothes that are only for your home. I am also like that, you will never catch me in sweats at the grocery store :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, sometimes I cringe when I see people go into the grocery store. Really, no self-respect. Yes, camel and black go together like peanut butter and jelly :)

      Delete
  3. Cute, cute outfit - and Thank-you for reminding me to take a moment and consider adding an accessory once in a while! While I don't wear my 'lounging' clothes out of the house, I am ridiculously guilty of just throwing on jeans and a t-shirt for everyday errands. I think it stems from my 'good clothes/play clothes' upbringing. When I do wear a nice outfit out for everyday,I wrestle with the need to change to 'play clothes' the minute I get home. Consequently, I rarely wear a well planned outfit on errand days, even though when I do I feel so much upbeat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from the same upbringing, Laura. I often wear jeans. However, I choose to style them up a bit. On a rare occasion I'm just totally chill with baseball cap, etc. But most times, I take the time to even dress-up my denims. And yes, as soon as I walk into my house, I throw on my "lounge wear"

      Delete
  4. Great post! If I don't feel comfortable in my outfit, I won't wear it. I love the mix of black and camel and your cute shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really awesome, Amy! Like you, I must feel comfortable in my clothes. In my opinion, that is key to having great style.

      Delete
    2. Hi Glenda, Thanks for the reminders that being comfortable does not equal sloppy and formless. I have been guilty of both and wish to mend my ways. Thanks for hair that is stylish, healthy, becoming, and you did not have to take out a loan to get. Stay blessed. fredy k 3-1-16

      Delete
  5. You look extra elegant in my book, Glenda! :) I agree that comfortable clothes does not mean sweat pants and gym shoes - in fact, pants are much less comfy compared to dresses and skirts, in my opinion, the trick is elastic waist to me. Love the finishing details, fun and still very elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalia! I'm the exact opposite. I feel much more comfortable in dresses. I live in them in the summer. So easy to just throw one on. Thanks for the compliment. I love accessories. Sometimes when I'm writing at home, I like to wear bracelets that jingle :)

      Delete
  6. You look stunning! ( maybe a little thin?)
    Love the outfit, especially the pointed, strappy shoes, which add so much style, and the jewelry!
    Good advice, leave the sweat pants, home!
    xx Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! Oh my...I worked hard to get to get back to my normal size 6. I'm actually naturally small, with small bones. You'll have to get use to the change.

      Delete
  7. Very chic, an incredible achievement with flat shoes.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often hear this from others about flats. Yes, they can often look frumpy, but if chosen wisely, they can elevate an entire look.

      Delete
    2. It must be you in them that does the trick.

      Delete
  8. Glenda this is a lovely discovery to find your blog. I'm not one to share my at home comfort look either, so I agree with you on that. You've nailed this pulled together yet paired down look. Beautiful shoes (fab legs too) and some rather nice pieces of jewellery too. Lovely ensemble x
    Anna
    Anna's Island Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna hi and welcome! Thank you so much for your kind words. Oh yes...the shoes. They are a definite hit. I'm stopped each time I wear them. And thank you about the legs :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda