2.14.2016

Face Your (Fashion) Fears

F.E.A.R.
False Evidence Appearing Real

Isn't the above acronym the perfect description for Fear? In most cases (not discounting the real fear that predicts danger), fear is exactly that - False Evidence Appearing Real. It rolls around in our minds causing us to lose sleep; over/under eat; sabotage ourselves; make ourselves ill...the list of self-induced defeat is mind-numbing, and often produces a paralysis state within us. Speaking from experience, the best way to combat the paralysis is to acknowledge and then face your fears, whether by jumping straight into the arena, or by conquering with precise baby-steps. There have been instances when I have used both approaches. One of my greatest fears is public speaking (one shared by many). Having to stand before others scares the (insert word) out of me. And though my career choices in recent years have segued into me standing at some type of podium, the fear never seems to escape me. Rather than running from the inevitable, I've begun to purposely throw myself into the arena of public speaking. Drastic?...Yes, but I refuse to let this fear stop me from reaching my goals.

In fashion, one of my greatest fears is pattern mixing (not to be confused with texture mixing). If you have been reading So What to Twenty for some time, you may recall I mentioned this on occasion. For me, mixing patterns isn't for the faint-of-heart (done right it looks effortless, but when it's done wrong - it looks like a big mistake), and though fashion and style run through my veins, the idea still causing me to flinch. So today, I choose to face my fashion fear by taking baby steps in the idea of pattern mixing. Today I take a common mix of stripe and floral and use them in a subtle way. Also, notice the mix of masonry work in this location. I hope you enjoy today's style story and I'll meet you in the comment section.


Today's look is comprised of two key elements - a pair of floral pants and a striped top. Both prints are subtle in detail. The pant, though splattered with a floral motif, the repeat of the pattern is loose and not overly busy with design or colors. I picked up on the more quiet shade of blue in the pant to use as my accent color. By selecting the baby blue to play with, the contrast between the pant and top create a nice juxtaposition. Also, the blue and white stripe shirt is less obvious - From a distance, it looks as if I'm wearing a solid color top. The look, paired with my vintage Nine West booties (last seen in Carnaby Street), straddles the fence between girly and edgy.

Outfit Details - Striped Shirred Blouse: Ann Taylor Loft; Floral Pant: H&M (from a few years ago. Love the Topshop Floral Crop Cigarette Trouser at Nordstrom); Patent Booties are vintage Nine West via eBay (Check out the incredible N.Y.L.A. Go-Go Booties at Nordstrom); Patent Clutch purchased from a vintage boutique; blue socks from Target.

 

 



We're here on this earth for a purpose and a season, if we allow FEAR to take hold of us, we won't live the life intended, rather a life of hopes and dreams that never move into our reality. My dear friends, because I care for you, I challenge you - Face Your Fears...whatever they may be {wink}

Tyneisha F.


Happy Valentine's Day!
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Shoe & Tell
Visible Monday
Whitney Nic James

Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

23 comments:

  1. Having never been bold in the area of pattern mixing, I appreciate the subtle way you have done it. I have taken baby steps in this area and agree, there is a right way &the other way! I do like those pants, and picking up the blue keeps it subtle. The neckline of the top is feminine, which to me combines well with the floral print. Fear is a tough thing to conquer, but living life immersed in it is tougher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I can't think of anything more daunting that living a life immersed in fear. For myself, in some things I'm very brave, while in others, I have to put on my big girl panties and make the big leap. I keep the idea of False Evidence Appearing Real in my mind. When I think about it, often than not, that's exactly what it is...my mind playing tricks on me.

      Pattern mixing is very tricky. I probably will never feel overly confident in doing so. I feel good about what I've done here. Baby steps :)

      Delete
  2. Ha... I am like you...in pattern mixing. Scares me. And because I don't know what I am doing, I know I can go horribly wrong. But this what you have done, I have done (once haha) as well. This I can manage. I have to say that even though some bloggers can really pull it off to mix three or four prints, I never really like it. Too busy for my taste. What you have done in this outfit, is fine (by me). A really lovely combination that wins on interest because of the two "prints". Well done.
    (My blog name should really help me, shouldn't it?)
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Greetje, according to your blog name, you should be the bravest in pattern mixing :)

      Delete
    2. ah my blog name... it is just the cover of the book. And you know what they say... never judge a book by its cover haha

      Delete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day and thank you for this uplifting post and gorgeous pattern mix! xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teach this acronym when I teach public speaking...which I began to do 12 years ago...you are going to do great at BAM...but your graphic of the conference leaves out the panel moderator...hmmm, who could that be???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! Right now I'm relaxed, but I'm sure, as time draws near, the butterflies will begin to emerge. The graphic I have is the one given to me by Sharon. Is there another one?

      Delete
  5. First, I congratulate you for admitting your fear of speaking in front of people. Public speaking skills can be honed as you will learn. Second, I admire how you show how fashion can work when you make the right choices, great pattern mixing here. Finally, you always have a great setting to showcase your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugeena, thank you so much. The first step to overcoming is to admit...right? I visualize myself, as a goal, making my speeches with confidence. Though I'm sure the butterflies will never completely leave. At least it will be manageable.

      I'm glad you like this mix of patterns. If I keep it simple, it feels right for me. I'm not a fussy person in my approach to fashion, so subtle works best for me.

      Part of the joy of blogging (for myself) is creating an entire picture...an editorial spread. In my opinion, it makes the post come alive. The location, how I live my life, my outfits, etc, all constitute style - It is the greater picture, and not solely about the clothes. Thank you for recognizing this :)

      Delete
  6. Oh! I love those pants. I've started wearing bolder patterns on my legs - mostly leggings - but they're fun and colorful. I love these. They're stylish and offer a burst of color and fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! Gosh, I'm getting so much positive feedback on the pants. And to think I almost gave them away. I'm glad I changed my mind.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you, Glenda! By facing our deepest fears, we grow. Baby steps (sometimes I call them dwarf hamster steps) or diving in - whatever works. I also use both. There are so many ways to hide, and only so many ways to face our fears. And the first one, to admit it. Sometimes, that's all we need, the rest comes easy and naturally. Now, there are things that we are afraid of, but they don't matter too much, they don't change anything in our life anyway. Only those which make us both afraid and desiring - those fears I think we need to face.

    I love your pattern mixing! You're an expert - just go with it! You always win. :)

    Thank you for your post! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yes, Natalia, you nailed it. The fears that make us afraid and are desiring. Absolutely, these are the ones we need to acknowledge and face. There is something very powerful about the acknowledge of a fear, or any type of shortcoming. This is when becoming vulnerable makes us strong. I wish more people understood this. Rather than pinning vulnerability as a fault.

      Your words always touch me, my dear. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. I think you nailed it and I love those pants! I'm inspired to try this in an outfit!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glenda, I admire your willingness to face your fears. I, too, have a fear of public speaking. I would pretty much rather do anything else. I know how you feel about mixing patterns and prints and it is out of your comfort zone, but you did a fabulous job! I love a striped shirt mixed with anything and those floral pants are very cool. It is always so refreshing to read your posts. A big dose of inspiration for me! Thank you.

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, your compliment means a great deal coming from you, Cherie. You always mix patterns, prints and textures so beautifully. I admire what you do. Thank you!

      Delete
  10. Glenda, I can really relate to you on the public speaking thing. Public speaking is something many people fear and even though in my line of work it is required A LOT, that has been the one part of my work I could do without, but it gets easier the more you do it. I love pattern mixing, but it can go very wrong if the patterns clash too much. Yes, we are definitely here for a purpose and have to make a decision on if fear gets to stay or we kick it to the curb with our faith. I love your top. I am such a big fan of stripes.

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much LV! Yes, I adore this top. It's so soft and drapey. I usually stay away from button-downs, but this one feels and fits nice. I look forward to the day when I call my next speaking engagement, "A piece of cake."

      Delete
  11. Neat outfit! And thanks for the encouragement. I have a pair of windowpane leggings I've been considering. But they do seem a little "person in her 20s" to me. I'd have to figure out how to add some dignity. ;)

    I saw your post in the Visible Monday linkup. Here's my Visible Monday post...
    http://www.midlifemakeover.me/2016/02/gamine-challenge-my-top-pants-silhouette.html

    Have a great week!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanine, yes, be very careful with the leggings. For sure. I'll stop by to see you.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda