1.20.2016

The Next Black (Video)


I apologize for not having another style story for you this week, but my photographer attends a huge convention each year for musicians and sound engineers called NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants). He and my oldest son are off hobnobbing with other music and sound folk. The absence of a photographer, plus soggy weather has thrown a wrench in my blogging schedule. But never fear, YouTube is here!

But first, did you notice I changed my blog motto? It went from...Where Life & Fashion Intersect to Where There's Style & Substance.  I decided to make the switch because the new motto clearly defines what So What to Twenty represents. If you've been reading So What for some time, you know my thoughts on fashion are deeply rooted with the idea of fashion being an all-encompassing vehicle that hopefully encourages women to explore their gifts, style, femininity and inner beauty. So I ask the question, can there be style without substance?

Now on with today's post. Recently I came across a fascinating video that I'm sure you'll enjoy. The video is called, The Next Black: A Film About the Future of Clothing. The documentary explores the future of clothing through the eyes of some of the most innovative companies on the planet. Some are experts in sustainability practices, and others technology. I walked away with a clearer perspective on changes that need to be done within the fashion industry, and a better understanding of my part in the process. Please, when you have 45 minutes of uninterrupted time, watch this video. It won't disappoint. Enjoy!



After hearing the staggering statistics on the fashion industries part in polluting and water waste, I felt compelled to share this video. We can all do our part to care for our planet, whether buying organic clothing, recycling our unwanted clothing, not succumbing to fast fashion, or buying consignment and vintage; it makes a difference. What are your thoughts on this subject? Let's talk about it. I'll return early next week with a new style story {wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

9 comments:

  1. I believe there can be style without substance; however, it will never be anything more than getting dressed. Substance gives style meaning. You have this down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully stated, Karen. I totally agree - without substance, it's just getting dressed.

      Delete
  2. Very good new logo. Right in keeping with your philosophy. I really liked the video. The fabric from food was amazing. lots of things to continue to think about. I just wish that the second hand shopping around here was a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! The blog seems to constantly evolve. Oh my goodness, wasn't the food fabric incredible. I thought the entire video was a major wake-up call for the industry.

      Delete
  3. I too am having photographer issues Glenda! My daughter's schedule has become so busy that there are very few times for photo sessions. I will have to come back to look at the video - looks very intriguing. Love the casual photo of you.

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, come back to watch, Cherie. You'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I noticed, and I approve. It is he essence of your blog! Love the candid shot of you! I am looking forward to seeing this, and I am aware of how fast fashion affects the environment, so this will be fascinating for me!
    xx,Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda