1.01.2016

I'm Ready - Happy New Year!

I ditched the idea of making new year resolutions over a decade ago. "Why," you ask. For this simple reason - Most of them were empty promises made to myself during the heightened emotions of celebrating a new year. Inevitably, most of my resolutions ended up as relics...You know, like the Mickey Mouse ears I bought while at Disneyland. Sure, at the time, it was exciting to walk around the park wearing the fun hat, but months later, while cleaning out my closet, I discover the ears shoved to the back of my closet...forgotten. Now the ears are out of place, and no longer apropos to my life. Get the picture?

Instead, I chose to adopt a philosophy which renders itself more effective, motivating, and allows for a bit more guidance. I select a word or words to guide me through the year. Last year CONTINUE was my word and boy-o-boy was it useful. There were so many times when I felt like quitting. Continue writing the book (even when the words weren't coming) - Continue the workout routine (even when my body felt exhausted) - Continue with My Morning Massage even when I don't want to get out of bed (learn more about My Morning Massage at Bloom). Yes, Continue was must appropriate for 2015. For 2016, the statement tugging at my spirit is - I'M READY. I'm ready to take on this new chapter in my life as author. I'm ready to love, nurture and respect this new Glenda. I'm ready to embrace my present day and soar into my future. And yes, I'm ready to use my butterfly wings (for those who have already dived into A Place Called Peace, you understand what I mean about my wings).


For today's look, I present myself in an ensemble which encompasses all aspects of my fashion personality - Classic with a touch of Bohemian, Southwestern and of course, Quirk.  You can learn more about discovering your fashion personality at a post called Knowing Your Fashion Personality 101. In this outfit, I feel confident, relaxed and self-assured. I'm ready to blaze a new trail into a new year. I hope you enjoy today's look!


Outfit Details - Petite Curvy Straight Leg Jeans: Ann Taylor LOFT; Layering Tee: Ann Taylor LOFT; Medium Basic Sunglasses: Ann Taylor LOFT; Embroidered Wrap: Jacket Society (Sold Out but please check out the other items); Belt by Calvin Klein via TJ Maxx (Love this brown belt by Ralph Lauren currently 40% off); Riding Boots by Ralph Lauren via TJ Maxx (Great Selection at Nordstrom); Signet Ring: J. Crew (Very old. Love this signet ring by Elizabeth and James); Multiple Bangle with Turquoise Bobble via eBay; Watch: Citizen's Crystal Silhouette.

    




 
   
So my dear friends, I ask - Are you still a resolution maker? If not, what is your word or statement to mark your 2016? I look forward to sharing more of my fashion and lifestyle inspirations with you in 2016. If you are interested in My Morning Massage, please visit Bloom for more information on the morning ritual I simply can't live without. You'll be surprised {wink}

Gateway to Bloom

One more thing...Please stop by the Elle Diaries to read Elle's review on A Place Called Peace. I'm so thrilled to have had my book reviewed by Elle. When I began my journey in blogging, she was the first person to comment on my posts, and to extend a helpful hand. She is a true gem, and I adore her friendship.

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. 
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Style Nudge
Visible Monday
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

33 comments:

  1. You look strong and confident ....and I am certain will take those qualities into the new year! Happy 2016, Glenda! Reading your book today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Pam!! I felt strong and confident in this look. I hope you enjoy the book :)

      Delete
  2. Like your scarf :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Ready to Enjoy (my word). You look smashing in this outfit and looking forward to see more Glenda. Btw..I love Bloom. Happy 2016.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Neti, are theme is almost the same. I'm glad you enjoy Bloom :)

      Delete
  4. Good Morning and Happy New Year. No new years resolution for me. Last year I set resolutions and never followed through with them for many reasons. After much soul searching, reading, praying and getting to know the real me. I need to set goals, continue with the things that work for me and challenge my self to dive deeper. My word for 2016 will be Challenge. I love your outfit and I am heading over to bloom to finish reading your post on morning massage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year!! Then you understand why I say NO to resolutions. Challenge is good - a word that represents strength, and tenacity.

      Delete
  5. Love the outfit but more important the message. I no longer do resolutions as well. For the last three years, I do vision boards. The vision board consists of key words and goals that I work to achieve. I'm having greater success with accomplishing short term goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, making vision boards sounds awesome. I read about many making them, but I never heard anyone say they make one for their new year jump start. Very cool!

      Delete
  6. I am borrowing your idea about a word or statement. This is so much better than an empty resolution. I don't do resolutions, but this I will do. Love that wrap!! Now I'm off to ponder my "word"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Yes, adopting a word or statement really works for me. I write it on my wall calendar for each month. This is how I keep the word before me. Also, I put it on my smartphone as an occasional pop-up reminder :)

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year Glenda. Like you I gave up on resolutions long ago but I really like your idea of a word to mark each year, not sure exactly what mine will be yet still some thinking to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never have NY resolutions. If I think something has to be done or changed I do it immediately when I think it up. Happy New Year Glenda. And I love your wrap. I bought one too from Jacket Society but I am at a loss as I never wear wraps haha. Too much worry to keep them in place.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Greetje - when it needs to be done- Just do it! I love wraps. I don't think about them too much. I just throw them on and away I go. It's such an easy way to add pizzazz to a basic outfit.

      Delete
  9. Great look! I say that because that's something I would wear. So happy you stopped by my 1010ParkPlace blog! I'm off to read more of your writing. Happy New Year Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda, and thank you for stopping by, and thanks for the kind words! I hope you enjoy the reading.

      Delete
  10. Lovely look. Isn't it fun to finally be able to wear winterish clothing? My words are for this year are "Here We Go!" I have been struggling with my health for the past five years and I can finally see light ahead. My health issues have held me back but they have also affected my family. So as I get stronger and healthier I am taking Everybody with me into a joyful future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful, Connie - Here We Go! So optimist for your journey ahead. I remember when I was ill - yes, you are so correct by saying it affects the whole family. I felt so sad that I couldn't get out and enjoy activities. Slowly but surely, I got better. But remember this, Connie - with every adversity present a seed of opportunity of equal or greater opportunities. When I wrote my book, I realized this to be true.

      Delete
  11. Glenda, I love this wrap it is a true beauty!
    I no longer make resolutions, but I like your one word theme.
    This year, as much as I am able, my word will be DO.

    Enjoy those wings!!!

    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful piece, isn't it. I love wearing it. I've been taking my wings out for a trial run. All systems go. They seem to be working perfectly. Happy New Year, Twin!

      Delete
  12. Love it all, especially the Quirk! Thanks for sharing, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm almost finished with your book and have loved learning a bit more about you and your journey, so "I am ready" sounds perfect Glenda :) I'm so glad we met last year and I look forward to seeing you again in 2016! (the wrap looks fab on you :)
    Happy New Year
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, you're an incredible woman, and I love surrounding myself with people like you. Your designs are amazing and I look forward to styling myself, more, from Jacket Society.

      Delete
  14. I like your approach, Glenda - it makes so much more sense to me. Mine is very similar. :) The wrap is gorgeous, and you do look beautiful and comfortable with yourself. Have a wonderful, wonderful flight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalia! Yes, the word or statement really supports me throughout the year. Thank you. Funny, once upon a time, a rarely wore denim. Now, I love it!

      Delete
  15. Happy New Year. I love your style Glenda. Always on trend but with that one item to make it uniquely yours. That wrap is so pretty!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Yes, I adore the wrap, it really makes the outfit come alive!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda