1.30.2016

Carnaby Street

One of my favorite classes at the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising was the Evolution of Apparel, taught by Mrs. Bersen. It's funny how we remember certain teachers. All bright-eyed and excited about studying fashion at one of the world's top fashion schools, I bounced into class, excited to learn about clothing through the decades. She didn't simply tell us about the decades of fashion, she had us experience them too...the popular music, the social scene, politics, and of course, the neighborhoods. I was in fashion heaven.

Fast forward 30 years, and I still get the same fuzzy feeling when I'm in the mood for representing a particular decade. Recently, I scored a pair of patent booties from eBay which scream 60s. At first glance I immediately thought of London. When I shared a photo of my new buy on Instagram, I mentioned their London-esque vibe, and thanks to Jill from Grownup Glamour, she reminded me of an area in London (Westminster) called Carnaby Street. Here is a brief history from Wikipedia (Click Wikipedia for more info).
By the 1960s, Carnaby Street proved popular for followers of both the Mod and hippie styles. Many independent fashion boutiques, and designers such as Mary Quant, Marion Foale and Sally Tuffin, Lord John, Merc, Take Six and Irvine Sellars were located in Carnaby Street as well as various underground music bars such as the Roaring Twenties in the surrounding streets. With bands such as Small Faces, The Who, and Rolling Stones appearing in the area to work, shop, and socialize, it became one of the coolest destinations associated with the Swinging London of the 60s.

For today, I bring a modern day interpretation of what fashion was like during the 60s on Carnaby Street - The look gives a subtle wink to Mod and hippie styles, what sets the tone are the crazy-cool patent leather boots, skinny jeans, and my shaggy yarn sweater. Though women were embracing hot pants and the micro mini (thanks to Mary Quant), for this particular look, I'm taking a more masculine approach by wearing pants.  Today my shoot location takes place in an art district which boast many restaurants and vintage boutiques.

Outfit Details - Black Patent Ankle Booties: Nine West via eBay; Looping Sweater/Jacket: Jacket Society (One left. Faux Fir Sweater at Shopstyle); NYDJ 'Clarissa' Ankle Skinny Jean: Nordstrom; Essential Black Basic Tank Top: Ann Taylor Loft; Black Patent Belt: Nine West via TJ Maxx; Black Round Keyhole Sunglasses: Ann Taylor Loft (available in blue), Love Bird Charm purchased from a boutique near my home.
 









I hope you enjoyed this trip down Carnaby Street during the 60s. This post was really good fun for me. Being a history buff, I have always enjoyed watching how fashion plays a part in the bigger picture of our lives...our social concerns, the economy, etc.  Fashion certainly tells our story. Don't you agree (wink)?

Does Patchouli oil sound familiar? The perfect post to go with a 60s theme at BLOOM - The Essentials of Oils. Sharing some fun information and beauty ideas using essential oils. You'll enjoy this post!

The gateway to BLOOM

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
 You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
 Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

33 comments:

  1. Love your pictures, Glenda and the fact that you went to the art district for the shoot! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I always try to set the mood with my entire style story. Location included.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this look! And what a trip down memory lane! Mary Quant was the epitome of cool to my pre-teen self. I tried hard to copy what she was designing with the wardrobe I had. My grandma took us shopping and I sought out items that had the look I was after. What wonderful memories... That sweater is just the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had great fun in this outfit, Karen. It made me giggle. And it received alot of attention when I was having my pictures taken. You're very good with fashion history. Many don't know the origin of basic fashions...like the mini.

      Delete
  3. Great outfit. I love patent leather shoes and boots. That picture you showed of the girl in the sixties? Could have been me haha. Oh yes, Carnaby Street. I remember it so well.
    Your outfit is very good. Very good proportioned. I find it amazing you have such a flat stomach. After all you are a mother of children.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really remember the 60s since I was born in 1966, but I do recall remnants of fashions in my mother's closet and watching the tellie. Greetje, you are too funny for noticing things. Lots of steady exercise to achieve a flat stomach. And good genes. My mother had a fabulous figure. By the way, I can imagine you showing those gams of yours.

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite eras, love everything about the 60's. You look super cool and fabulous in this look Glenda. I am so glad you ended up with the loopy sweater as it is so you :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Nora. The 60s was such an adventurous error of dress. Lots of inventions of new style. Oh yes, each time I wear the loopy sweater I have the biggest smile. It is so fun to wear and dress up.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes. Carnaby Street fashion was quite the rage when I was a pre-teen. I begged for a Yardley Slicker Dolly lipstick bus for Christmas when I was 12. The fashions of those pre-teen years really stick with us, don't they? https://www.pinterest.com/phizzy54/slicker-dolly/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie, thank you so much for sharing the pins with me. Truthfully, the oldest I would have been in the 60s was 4. I was born in 1966. However, I do remember watching reruns of shows like Laugh-In. I remember seeing Goldie Hawn and others in their psychedelic mini dresses.I also remember going into my mothers closet in the 70s. My love for the 60s era in fashion began by watching movies, television and studying about the decade in fashion school. However, the 70s and 60s were clearly cousins in the fashion department. Many of the same looks carried over.

      Delete
  6. Yes they do. A push-up stick blusher with sparkly bits - called Cheeky Chops I think (how uncool does that sound now?). My first make-up ever.
    Loved the post, captures the long-gone style of Carnaby Street. A different place nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheeky Chops...sounds fun. I remember my first lip gloss was a roll-out bubble gum scent. I think by Bonnie Bell. I would love to visit the Carnaby of now. Thanks for sharing, Mimi!

      Delete
  7. I'm still loving the loopy sweater. British fashion is always so much fun to look at and copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Daenel. I've always loved the British take on street fashion.

      Delete
  8. Ah, I remember the wonderful editorials and ads from Carnaby Street! You look fabulous in your homage to the place and era - love that sweater. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti. Yes, Nora's sweater had me at first glance. Each time I wear it I feel uber cool.

      Delete
  9. Loved your take on 1960s Carnaby Street.Like Connie I was a pre-teen then but remember seeing pictures of the wonderful fashions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, thanks for reminding me of Carnaby. The 60s and 70s were such interesting times...the politics, the social scene...my goodness what history wrapped up in those two decades.

      Delete
  10. What a fun outfit! I love how it looks on you. I love the jeans so much, I really need to add a pop of bright color to my wardrobe. I also really like your earrings. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea. Thank you! I must admit, this outfit made me very happy.

      Delete
  11. Love the look! I remember thinking of the English fashion of the time so grown up and hip! Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haralee! Yes I thought the same and stoll do. British fashion...at least street fashion is always so interesting.

      Delete
  12. Glenda,
    Your trip down Memory Lane reminds me of my textile classes that I took in college. Thanks for the fashion and history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Ugeena. Fashion's history is so rich and intertwined with the big picture of our lives. I had one semester of textiles. At the time it wasn't one of my favorites, but in hindsight, I really appreciate the knowledge.

      Delete
  13. Love this look and vibe and love the bit of fashion history too! Your shaggy sweater is amazing, and I adore the boots. Yes, I remember that decade, hot pants and all. ( did not wear them!)
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle, I'm glad you enjoyed the history and the look. It was great fun putting this post together. What, no hot pants for Elle?!

      Delete
  14. Yes!!! This entire outfit is on point- especially those boots :D Also, thank you for the snapshot of the 60's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a fantastic outfit, Glenda - and so Carnaby Street indeed! Great fun. I love that photo of you and a doll in a store window. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia, I have to admit...I REALLY enjoyed wearing this look. It was really good fun! The doll in the window is an old iconic Raggedy Ann.

      Delete
  16. Love this look, as well as the inspiration. You look fabulous and so chic!

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not sure how I missed this post but it's a doozie! You have such a knack for appropriating iconic apparel from the past and making it completely and totally 2017. Actually, more like 2020 you trailblazer you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda