12.03.2015

Real

“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?' 
"It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.” 
Excerpts from the Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams 

 

The story of the Velveteen Rabbit is such a beautifully written, classic children's tale. My favorite line - 'But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.'  Such a poignant statement. I'm reminded of a Winnie the Pooh doll my mother gave me as a child. I loved it so much it became Real. I held on to the Pooh and even passed it on to my sons. It didn't matter that one of Pooh's arms had been stitched back on, or his left eye was missing. They understood how real it was, and not ugly at all. Now the lovable bear is tucked away neatly for future off-spring to love. 

To be Real is such a beautiful quality to possess, but yet, often than not, it is avoided. This idea of being real often disappears when child-like wonder fades. Then we become what is expected - with sharp edges and all...untouchable and needing to be handled with care. While being real makes one more pliable, cozy, lovable and warm. 

In honor of the Velveteen Rabbit, today I'm wearing a velvet dress - a soft, cozy velvet which wraps me in love. The cut, design and print of the dress speaks to my bohemian/art-driven side. The beautiful, flutter-styled sleeves make me feel like a fairy in a fantasy.


Outfit Details: Dress Courtesy of eShakti last year (Very similar styled maxi dress by Tallulah at Nasty Gal); Vintage 70s Jeweled 'mood' set: Belonged to my mother; Crystal Pendant Necklace: Ann Taylor Loft (beautiful selection of pendant necklaces at Nordstrom); Cross-body bag: Perlina via TJ Maxx; Boots by Tahari via TJ Maxx (found Tahari boots on eBay)

 






In a day when there's so much hurt, suffering and the notion of being unbreakable is reverenced, I much prefer to be lovable, soft...Real like the Velveteen Rabbit. Which do you prefer?{wink}

Stay connected for the BIG announcements next week!!!

Stay True,
 
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Whitney Nic James
Shoe & Tell
Fun Fashion Friday
Throwback Thursday
Photographs are the property of So What to Twenty!

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful write up Glenda. In this day and age when fakery is the order of the day, it takes grace to remain real however the benefits of being loved for who you are outweighs the effort to continue being unreal. You look amazing in that dress. xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Elsie. I appreciate your words and kindness. Here's to being real!

      Delete
  2. I love this dress on you and the colors speak to me. They say. . . you need to send me this dress. LOL!! - Enjoy the Holidaze. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Neti. Thank you. The colors are amazing!

      Delete
  3. The Velveteen Rabbit was my favorite story as a child, and had such an impact on me. Your dress is lovely; the colors remind me of a Maxfield Parrish painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us had a Real toy. I hadn't seen a Parrish painting. Thank you for the introduction. The color and fabrication combo are perfect in this dress. I feel wrapped in love. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I love the way this dress shines. Beautiful. So sad but true. So much artifice these days. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being Dutch I have never read the Velveteen Rabbit. But I love what the horse said. And like you I so love the last words. So true. And that is what we have to aim for to be truly happy and to spread happiness ourselves: Real.
    Your dress is splendor. Beautiful. And may I say you have a beautiful cleavage too? Mine is spoiled by wrinkles. Ach..well.. as long as I am regarded as Real eh?
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to be real. This made get tears, because I had so many real stuffed animals as a child. And I know why they were treasured, which is another story. I do like the style of that dress Glenda. Just beautiful.

      Delete
    2. My Pooh was Real to me, Karen, and thank you. I have officially dubbed this my holiday dress :)

      Delete
    3. Greetje, your last comment made me blush. Thank you. I'm always trying to conceal what is. My husband thinks I should do otherwise. Men, I tell you. They sure do think differently. I wouldn't want him walking around showing his private parts. This dress was given to me by eShakti last year and I have dubbed it my official holiday dress :)

      Delete
    4. I know, my husband would love to see me in a short black pencil skirt with fishnet stockings and very high black pumps. Ain't gonna happen. But I will say, that you showed your femininity in a very classy way. No tackiness at all.

      Delete
  6. That dress is a work of art! So lovely on you.

    I love the story of the Velveteen Rabbit. I never read it as a child. I first experienced it as a mom reading it to my son, and it's one of my favorite books. I had and still have many real stuffed friends of my own and from my son's childhood stored safely for a new generation of kids to love them someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely tale. I suppose Disney's Toy Story is a modern day Velveteen Rabbit.

      Delete
  7. I am going with loveble, soft and a bit droopy! What a clever tale for the theme of this post, an all time fav of mine! I adore that dress and pendant! Glenda, You shine here!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.theellediaries.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great time to remind everyone the importance of unconditional love with the "Velveteen Rabbit" story. The velvet dress is divine, love the vibrant colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ugeena. With all that's happening in the world. It was nice to reflect on something loving and positive.

      Delete
  9. The Velveteen Rabbit is one of my favorite books ever. It imprinted me with love. You look gorgeous in your velvet frock, and thank you for sharing. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Velveteen Rabbit and Pooh were my favorite childhood books, and this is becoming one of my favorite looks. Thank you Patti!

      Delete
  10. So cute and what a wonderful reference! It's a bit colder in the Northwest but it's interesting that I don't think about maxi dresses this time of year but why not? Thanks for reawakening the possibility!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having a bit of a heatwave. I had to pull out my summer clothes for the past few days. Thanks for the comment, Carol!

      Delete
  11. You look beautiful in this dress Glenda, the Real deal :) Looking forward to meeting you this Saturday!
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to be reminded of the sentiment and thoughts in The Velveteen Rabbit, so gently and endearingly written. And then to see that interpreted and expanded upon in your own inimitable style through your post writing and your beautiful maxi dress.
    I love Susan's reference to a Parrish painting.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline! It is such a sweet story indeed, and thank you for you kind words.

      Delete
  13. What a great message Glenda and always enjoy reading your posts since it goes beyond fashion. Love this beautiful dress on you.

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you soon!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice. I'm glad you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  14. Thnks so much for your response on Stephanae's post Glenda, you look fantastic in the outfit.
    May I also day I love the title of your new book, I think Peace is my favourite word.
    Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda or Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Hugs
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, David. Yes, Peace is a lovely word, indeed. And Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda to you as well.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda