11.08.2015

Texture

Texture  
(The Free Dictionary by Farlex)
1. A structure of interwoven fibers or other elements.
2. The distinctive physical composition or structure of something, especially with respect to the size, shape, and arrangement of its parts: the texture of sandy soil; the texture of cooked fish.
3.a. The appearance and feel of a surface: the smooth texture of soap.
b. A rough or grainy surface quality: Brick walls give a room texture.
4. Distinctive or identifying quality or character: "an intensely meditative poet [who] conveys the religious and cultural texture of time spent in a Benedictine monastery" (New York Times).
5. The quality given to a piece of art, literature, or music by the interrelationship of its elements.

Ironically, the word texture has many layers. Its meaning, in its self, is not one dimensional but evokes ideas of character. What would the world be like if everything and everyone was one dimensional? There would be no contrast or comparisons; without depth of character...life would be mundane, flat...boring.  
During my college years, one of my favorite courses was Art History. Delving into the minds of master artist was extremely gratifying. While visiting the museums, I also enjoyed hearing the professor describe the works of art in detail - often using the word texture to describe a certain piece composed of many descriptive layers. I often think of the musical masterpiece, Angels in the Architecture by Frank Ticheli (Click the link, close your eyes and experience Angels in the Architecture) - a brilliant piece with many textures. While listening to the song, my imagination soars to new heights. My oldest son had the privilege of playing the song with an honor orchestra. At the conclusion, the audience sat awe-struck and in tears. It was beautiful.

In honor of a life lived in texture, for today's fashion post I'm wearing an outfit composed as such - puckered cotton, crocodile, embroidery, smooth, and even a snake bracelet. Though subtle in detail, the garment and accessories are more interesting than if they were flat. The post is shot on location in an area shining with many different textures. I hope you enjoy today's look!


My Textured Outfit Includes: Green Dress was originally from Anthropologie. I had the sleeves removed. Similar fit and flare dress at Nordstrom; Crocodile Boots by Migliorini Italy via Marshalls (crocodile boots on eBay); Embroidered Tassel Clutch originally from Loft. Super cute tassel clutch at Nordstrom; Duel-Headed Snake Bracelet from the Getty Villa gift shop. Really cool snake bracelets on eBay; Mood ring belonged to my mother.











My beautiful, multi-faceted friends, I hope you all have a wonderful week filled with many interesting layers and textures {wink}
Stay True,

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
High Latitude Style
Throwback Thursday
Fun Fashion Friday
Shoe & Tell
Whitney Nic James
 Photographs by Freddy and Glenda and are the property of So What to Twenty!
 

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful shade of green and this dress suits you. Everything about this outfit is on point. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great dress Glenda! The style is so flattering, and it looks like the kind of dress you can take in all different directions depending on how you accessorize. I like the textured effect of all the pieces you chose. You are so good at creating an outfit based on a concept! I am grateful for the nudge to see the many facets of my own life and personality, and I wasn't thinking about that until I read this post! As so often happens, your posts are thought-provoking! Really enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you are so sweet. Thank you. I'm so glad you enjoy the posts. They are my little way for us to view fashion as an all-encompassing vehicle to life. Not just what we throw on our bodies, but a true expression of who we are, and how we live. You are so right about the dress, I've styled it so many different ways. The dress had short sleeves but I had them removed. The sleeves felt too tight. I like it much better this way. I've worn this dress to fashion week, as well as for a stroll on the beach pier with sandals. It's very versatile.

      Delete
  3. I love green, even though I don't wear it as much, not sure why...you look great in this color! Textures make most fabrics so much more interesting and your dress has a lovely textures. Great look Glenda as usual :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love green too, Nora. I don't have lots of green. My wardrobe is peppered with pieces. It's such a striking color that when worn, it makes a powerful statement.

      Delete
  4. Glenda these are great textures for the cooler Autumn weather on the East Coast, yet comfy enough for the warmer weather on the West Coast - love this entire outfit on you. #PersonalStyleLinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antoinette. This dress is perfect for all the California seasons. It even makes a good Christmas dress :)

      Delete
  5. Beautifully written Glenda. We all do lead our lives in layers.. Love your emerald dress and added textures, the boots especially ! excellent! ( sort of smilier to my last post, twin!)
    xx, Elle
    http://www.mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle. I remember when I first saw this dress years ago on display at Anthro. It is one of my favorite pieces. The color alone makes me swoon. Yes, the boots. I don't know why I don't wear them more often...

      Delete
  6. This green is such a pretty shade. A big fan of all greens but especially apple greens like this! You look super cute in this outfit :)

    Anna xx
    http://thefashionscents.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thank you so much for your kind comment. I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  7. As someone who's very kinesthetic in nature - I have to touch fabrics before I buy - this post so resonated with me. Love the subtle textures in this outfit and oh, doesn't that green look gorgeous on you.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was the fabulous color that first captured me. I love it too. I enjoy touching the fabrics too.

      Delete
  8. stunning! you look lovely in green!

    stop by and chat with me ♥ http://StorybookApothecary.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great look and such a pretty green!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Fun Fashion Friday!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this green dress and the textured fabric! So gorgeous :)

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style. You look fantastic in the green. Cute dress too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this color on you and the texture of this dress is so fun.

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda