11.01.2015

Shawl + Vest

Can you believe I have never owned a shawl. I stayed clear of them mostly because they over-powered my 5 foot frame, or, because they did absolutely nothing for me. Nonetheless, even though I have spotted many wearing them, I still hadn't given them much thought. That is until recently. I've been eye-balling the merchandise over at Nora Minassian's Jacket Society, and alas, I spotted a shawl which spoke my language. Not just your ordinary shawl - it also wears as a vest! Is that cool or what? Anyway, take a look and see for yourself. I hope you enjoy today's fashion selection!


This quintessential Southwestern shawl/vest has several details that make me swoon...an earthy, tan colored hue which reminds me of the desert sand; the comfort of arm-holes to keep the garment in place; and fringe detailing which gives it added appeal. Paired with relaxed boyfriend jeans, simple tee and decorative Native American inspired sandals - I feel both relaxed and on-point to attend a plethora of autumn events. I found the shawl to be the perfect alternative during the fall months, when the temperature in California is cooler in the morning and evenings, but warm during the day.


Outfit Details - Shawl/Vest: Jacket Society; Boyfriend Jeans: Ann Taylor Loft; Double-V Tee: Kohl's; Braided Belt: Ralph Lauren (very similar braided belt by Fossil); Bird Lariat: Purchased from a small boutique near my home (cute bird lariats at Etsy); Limited Addition Nine West Vintage America Sandals: via eBay (some really nice Beaded Sandals at Shopstyle); Ombre Aviator Sunglasses in Frothy Latte: Ann Taylor Loft; Silver Rings and bangle purchased in Mexico.



 
 



Here's a cute story - When I spotted Nora wearing her shawl on Instagram, I asked how tall she was for a comparison. I always thought Nora was at least 5'9". She responded back with just under 5 foot 3 inches. I was completely stunned! Apparently, we petite women look much taller in our photos. I've even been mistaken for a taller woman. Thank you Nora for designing a shawl that wears well on us petite ladies - it has volume, but it doesn't overwhelm, and I appreciate that {wink}
Stay True,

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe & Tell
Whitney Nic James

Throwback Thursday
Fun Fashion Friday
 Photographs by Freddy and Glenda and are the property of So What to Twenty!
 

34 comments:

  1. Love the shawl/wrap, so stunning with the perfect natural backdrop. The sandals with relaxed jeans, oh so chic. But you always look fab Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ugeena! I love this location. I've used it on a couple of other post. Something about the unkept, natural look works so well with a pristine fashion story. A great juxtapose for sure.

      Delete
  2. I love how you've styled this piece Glenda, so chic yet laid back which is a difficult balance to achieve sometimes. You look stunning and I love those sandals. Will be sharing on our social media later today.
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora you've got great taste. I adore your designs. However this particular piece had Glenda written all over it. I'm in love! And thank you for sharing :)

      Delete
  3. I am a shawl/cape/poncho girl. I love them & love the relaxed yet chic vibe. Yours is beautiful & the fringe is so current. I wore mine yesterday with leggings & boots. It was a blustery day ( shopping in Medina ) ;- )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I understand why, Karen. Your outfit sounds really cute. It took this perfect piece to convince me. This particular one fits my style just right.

      Delete
  4. Oh girl. You do not know what you have been missing. Shawls rock. AND when the wind catches them and it blows and flows behind you whilst walking, honey, you feel like you are strutting a runway or a superhero about to take flight! LOL. Can you tell I love shawls?

    You look fabulous in it! And those SHOES give me life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can tell you love shawls. After wearing this one, I'm starting to dig them too. At least this one. It was fun to wear. I felt super cool in it. Like Wonder Woman :)

      Delete
  5. Glenda, you certainly can wear a shawl , this one is stunning on you. It is perfect with your jeans and those fantastic shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I'm surprised how much I love this one. My first and only shawl I own. Good choice, indeed.

      Delete
  6. You're gorgeous, Glenda - and the shawl i made for you. xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I smiled when I read this post, Glenda! I've never owned a shawl or poncho for that matter, until finally getting seduced by both silhouettes this season. I am on the tall side (5'7) but I'm also on the thin side with a very small bust. Anything too overpowering can make me look like I'm swimming in it, so until now I've avoided both styles.

    Love this shawl and of course your chic styling of it! Really wonderful! And those shoes!!! Gorgeous! xox-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This you understand my plight, Mary. Most of them were simply too over-powering, or just hung life-less on my body. The armholes and cut of this one gives it shape. It still has volume, but it hangs nicely. It's a keeper. And thank you!

      Delete
  8. I love shawls because I hate wearing coats...crazy right, but they are so versatile and this one is not only a great color for your completion but is perfect to wear to work or casual as you have it featured in this post. #PersonalStyleLinkUp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, I really don't care for coats either. But then again, we seldom have use for them here. I always feel like I'm suffocating in a coat.

      Delete
  9. I have trouble believing you do not own oodles of these Glenda! I love this on you, I agree it can be overpowering for we petite ones, but some of the shawls are smaller.. I would also have though Nora was taller than 5'3" ! Shawls are great for restaurants and movie theaters too, doubles as a blanket at the movies!
    xx,Elle
    stiil drooling over those shoes!
    http://www.mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, I'm telling the honest truth...I haven't owned not one. I have a couple of pashimas, but this is my first shawl/vest. I love this one in particular because it captures the southwest essence. I love the golden tan color and the fringe...and of course, the armholes. It's so odd how we petites photograph much taller :)

      Delete
  10. Love the shawl and It is just perfect on You and also for our Floridian winter, but I never gave them a thought. Maybe now I should venture into shawland. . .Thanks G!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neti, this has been the only shawl I have liked. And you're right, it is perfect for warmer weather.

      Delete
  11. I am a sucker for shawls and wraps and I have seen in different lengths this season. Your entire ensemble looks effortlessly chic and I am swooning over those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Delilah, the shoes :) Every time I wear them I get a warm fuzzy feeling. This has been the only shawl I liked. I'm glad I went for it. It'll get a lot of play time.

      Delete
  12. What a great look Glenda. I LOVE that shawl and I love that you paired it with a casual white tee and jeans and of course, your shoes are the exclamation point! Loving that necklace too!!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie! I thought the shawl was the highlight of the outfit...and of course, the sandals :)

      Delete
  13. I love this one on you. I saw the pictures at Nora too. And was very tempted to get the black sweater/wrap cardigan. But I resisted as I had just ordered a wrap from her.
    Looking very good as always Glenda.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greetje! Nora's shawl's were the only ones I was attracted too. I'm so glad I got one. I really do love wearing it.

      Delete
  14. One of my fav looks on you ever, Glenda! SO much cool attitude! Stunning!

    Thanks for linking up!

    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been so tempted in picking up one of Nora's jackets. Love how you styled this great shawl with those stunning shoes!

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next week.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very pleased with the shawl. Nora's got some great pieces. Go for it!

      Delete
  16. I can't believe Nora is only that height! I thought she was an Amazon! Great choice and such understated styling. That's all it needed for it to shine.

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...she looks so tall in her pictures! With a dramatic piece like this, it's best to keep it simple. Thank you!

      Delete
  17. What a lovely shawl...what a fun outfit...cheers to chilly late afternoons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda