11.15.2015

Ode to Isaac

With the world in mourning over the recent attacks in Paris, I wavered on whether I would make mention of the occurrence since So What to Twenty stays clear of political issues. Then I realized, my words have nothing to do with politics, rather a feeling of compassion and empathy.

Dear Paris, my heart and prayers are with you.

 **********

During the 90s and early 2000, Isaac Mizrahi was one of my favorite American fashion designers. Though I found his designs charming, insiders often said Mizrahi struggled to establish a "Mizrahi Look". I thought him to be a master of melding feminine mystique with a coquettish wink. He did quirky at its very best - with a propensity for whimsical silhouettes, and a playful use of color. I found many of his collections appealing because he captured what getting dressed should be - Fun! How many of you remember him in the movie, Unzipped, or the short-lived Isaac Mizrahi Show (2001 - 2003)? I remember a segment where persons in the studio audience would ask him a fashion question. He would then sketch his idea, autograph the sketch, and give it to the person (see video below). Very cool.

Mizrahi later found great success with his Isaac Mizrahi for Target collection, and now with QVC. However successful he may be with these two brands, I am a die-hard fan of his collections from decades past, and ├╝ber fond of Isaac New York shoes. Always on a constant hunt for these gems, I've been lucky to score two pairs, thus far, on eBay - a metallic embroidered pair worn in a post called Shoegasm, and the pair I'm wearing today. Both pairs are classic styles, but are embellished to give a quirky twist...the work of Mizrahi at his very best. I hope you enjoy my ode to Isaac post - a look which intertwines classic pieces, and threads them together with elements of surprise to give the ensemble a fun and adventurous vibe. 

 
This outfit is composed of items I've had for quite some time, and has a Parisian feel. Some are vintage treasures  (notice the driving gloves. I purchased them in the 90s), while others were found on eBay or mainstream clothing stores. The star of the show are the Floral Embroidered Isaac New York pumps - the perfect standout shoe for building an outfit around.

My Mizrahi Influenced Outfit Includes: Midi Skirt: H&M (from past seasons. Love this midi skirt by Eliza J at Nordstrom); Ivory Cropped Sweater: Ann Taylor Loft (from past season. Ivory pullover sweaters at ThredUp and Ivory cropped sweaters at Shopstyle); Isaac New York Floral Embroidered Pumps via eBay; Large Pearl Brooch: Vintage Ann Taylor (I've had mine since the 90s. Beautiful selection of pearl brooches on eBay); Leather Driving Gloves: Nordstrom (I've had these for decades. Great selection of driving gloves on eBay); Lace Clutch: Vintage (Found an almost identical Sheridan Lace clutch at Monsoon). Accessories also include a group of gold toned filigree bangles.




Who says a brooch is to be worn on the top? Notice: the design of the brooch mirrors the floral details in the shoe.

A closer look at these beauties.


    

Below is a short Style.com video with Mizrahi introducing one of the collections I loved from spring 2008. Watch it carefully and see what influences I'm wearing in today's post.


Like I mentioned above, on the Isaac Mizrahi Show, he would sketch out fashion ideas for his studio audience. The below video is Isaac in action.


For some, today's post represents a bit of Isaac nostalgia, while for others, it may be an introduction. Whatever this information is to you, I hope you enjoyed the look, and information, as much as I enjoyed presenting it to you. Au revoir {wink}

Stay True,

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Throwback Thursday
 Photographs by Freddy and Glenda and are the property of So What to Twenty!

29 comments:

  1. There is so much to like about this outfit. I love the style of the skirt for starters. Then the brooch and how you have styled that. I would not have thought to do that but will borrow this idea for sure! The brooch perfectly picks up the pattern on your gorgeous shoes. I love the simplicity that looks so chic. I am always drawn to black and white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! I always think of floral details at the waist when I think of Mizrahi. I'm glad you like this look. It was fun to style :)

      Delete
  2. In full heartfelt agreement on Isaac. The kind of guy you wished lived next door because, Lordy, the gossip, laughs, creativity, all tempered with his love of humanity (and women). He actually radiates kindness. AND you look cutest, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LornaMi, and you're spot on about Isaac. He just seems so fun to be around.

      Delete
  3. Love this glamorous outfit! and those shoes I need I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemond! When I saw them on eBay, there was no second guessing...they had to be mine!!!

      Delete
  4. You look fab-u-lous and the theme flows from head to toe (very pretty toes!). I too love Isaac and wish we could have coffee together every day. thanks for sharing,

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Patti! Oh yes, starting the day with coffee and Isaac seems just right :)

      Delete
  5. Every piece is exquisite Glenda. The detailing on the shoe is very much his design influence.!
    I adore your brooch as the waist- clever and beautiful . I love the textured sweater tucked into your lovely black skirt.
    A great tribute. Thanks for adding those on!
    xx, Elle
    http://www.mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle. I thought you would appreciate the brooch at the waist.

      Delete
  6. I just love issac mizrahi. He's such a character and his designs are so very American. I'm still in love with the dress he designed for Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail." You've really nailed that Issac look. But then we all know about your amazing styling skills. It has always been my dream to have Isaac do a sketch for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! Oh gosh, You've Got Mail - yes! I forgot about that dress. I loved the looks she wore in the entire movie - The simple twinsets, oxford shoes, loose-cut trousers. You made me want to watch it again!

      Delete
  7. You look amazing! Wonderful outfit - love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful Ode to Isaac post, you beautiful lady. Absolutely love how elegant and classy you always appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Trina! I'm glad you like the ode and the look. I appreciate your kind words :)

      Delete
  9. Isaac is one of the all time great american designers, so talented and a great personality and charm to go with it. You look very chic, I love all your accessories like the gloves and the pin make a simple black and white outfit so special. Of course the shoes are fab too!
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nora! I can tell by the responses on this post that others also agree that Isaac is a great designer with personality to boot. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  10. LOVE this outfit. Great idea to put the brooch on the skirt. Fantastic shoes.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post to be reminded about his work. I love the details in this outfit. The positioning of the brooch and of course, as you pointed out how it ties in beautifully with the shoes. I can just imagine you wandering down the boulevards of Paris, Glenda!

    http://petitesilvervixen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jacqueline. Oh gosh, I would love to go to Paris. Hopefully the opportunity will present itself. In the meantime, I can only imagine.

      Delete
  12. I always never understood why the MIzrahi line was not more appreciated. You look very elegant, loving that brooch on your waist. Stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder the same thing. From these comments, he most certainly has the fan base. And thank you so very much :)

      Delete
  13. I too enjoyed your ode to Isaac . This outfit is wonderful with all its quirky elements bringing everything together. I really love that brooch and of course your shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I'm really looking forward to spending quality time with these beautiful shoes. My wheels are spinning with clever ways of styling them.

      Delete
  14. I love this Elegant outfit on YOU and those shooze. . . .Issac is one of my fave designers too and I have two comforter covers he designed for Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neti! Yes, I remember his colorful collection at Target.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful look Glenda! I love the texture of your top any how your shoes and your brooch mirrors the pattern on the top.

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you soon!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda