10.15.2015

Splendor in the Grass

What though the radiance
which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
of splendor in the grass,
of glory in the flower,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.
William Wordsworth

Just days after a conversation with a fellow football parent, I'm reminded of the poem, Splendor in the Grass. I shared our talk in the post called Life. In our discussion, a 30-something father seemed to be searching for my approval on choices he made with his life. If you haven't seen the post, please click on Life. Splendor in the Grass is such a beautifully written poem by William Wordsworth, and a reminder to us all - in life, we can't bring back what was already lived (Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower). We mustn't let our minds stay in the past. We must grow from the experience, and look forward to even greater days ahead. Enjoy!



The cornerstone of this ensemble is a maxi skirt which was a dress in the past (last seen as a dress in a post called Splattered). Combined with an off-the-shoulder top, and a host of accessories from the past and present.

Outfit Details - Old Navy Dress converted into a Maxi Skirt; Off the Shoulder Tee: Ann Taylor Loft (you'll find one you love at Shopstyle); Enzo Angiolini Rhinestone Sandals (love these by La Bottega Dell'artigiano), Vintage Clutch; Tassel Bracelet: Ann Taylor Loft (huge variety of tassel bracelets at Shopstyle); Canary Yellow Cocktail Ring: Similar ring by Lafonn at Nordstrom.com; Polish is In Stitches by essie; Wide Belt (almost identical wide belt by Ralph Lauren); Basic Sunglasses: Ann Taylor Loft

 

  


  

 



This post was shot on location outside a community where I and my family once lived. My sons once played for hours in this beautiful park...rolling down the grassing banks, flying kites, chasing a puppy. A place which held memories, and a place I thought I'd never return. But I return today with smiles from the child-like memories of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower. I hope you enjoyed today's post. If so, please leave me your comments below. Enjoy your weekend {wink}

If you missed any of this weeks posts, here's a recap:

Stay True,

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription and receive my  
6 Ways to Breathe Life Into Your Everyday
And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other  social media platforms. Thank you!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Throwback Thursday
Fun Fashion Friday
Top of the World Style
Visible Monday
 
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!


20 comments:

  1. Love this outfit on you and that off the shoulder is look is Fantastic. Great repurpose of that dress. Totally Glenda. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neti! Yes, I like the skirt much better than the dress. It was hard to wear as a dress.

      Delete
  2. Having seen the dress and now the skirt, I think converting it was brilliant! I also liked it as a dress, but this looks like it was meant to be! Once again, you made me think. It's interesting how we frame things we read based on experiences in life. I recently experienced a devastating loss and am still grieving, so when I read (re-read) Splendor in the Grass, my mind framed it more in terms of the recent loss. So I read it again and thought back over my childhood, my life up to this point, and I see that too. It's a great poem, that I now see fits a variety of circumstances, depending on where I am in my heart and it my mind, at the time I read it. Hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand Karen. With anything we read, it resonates differently with our mood. The poem is so thoughtful and perfect for anyone who dwells in the past without the ability to enjoy today.

      I like the dress as a skirt too :)

      Delete
  3. Splendor in the Grass is one of my favorites. Thank you for reminding me. and I love your grassy skirt. such a lovely look for this crazy weather. And Wow. A park with green grass. I haven't seen one of those in awhile. As always. A thoughtful beautifully styled post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the first thing my husband said when we got to the location. The park is such a center piece of the city that's why I believe they aren't allowing the grass to die. It truly is a beautiful place. Did you see the movie - Splendor in the Grass? I know you did. Such a beautiful love story.

      Delete
  4. Hi there Glenda!

    I’m so happy to find your blog! This look is so chic and comfy. You nailed it!
    I really like the positive tone of your blog! I’m now following you…

    http://www.districthilo.com

    Love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, welcome and thank you for following!

      Delete
  5. A beautiful outfit AND poetry?! You know how to make my smile!
    Thanks for linking up!
    oXoX
    Dawn Lucy
    Fashionshouldbfun.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Dawn, and you're welcome.

      Delete
  6. Wow I stumbled on your blog on google plus and so GLAD I DID..I totally agree...so what to twenty.ha ha Love it! Its been a long time since I was that age, and I am just loving styling at 5o years old! Beautiful oufit, lady and writing! Thanks for sharing!


    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie! Thank you very much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Yes, So What to Twenty! Those were good years, but these are even greater ;)

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful outfit. The skirt is soooo nice. And the white top (worn as you know, suits you best! I am beginning to recognize this) is ever so good with it. The belt intrigued me as I have a similar one, an expensive one, never worn it because the pins keep popping out of the little holes, making the belt jump from my body when pressure is applied by my stomach. Not a pretty sight. How does yours close?
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Greetje. My belt closes like a typical belt.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style. The look still looks very like summer. Lucky you. I am already tranitioned. LOL. I love the sandals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day I took these pics it was close to 100 degrees. It's still warm in the mid 80s.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful look, Glenda! I love the re-fashioning of the dress into a skirt. xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always to visit old places to bring back happy memories. Love the refashion of the dress into the skirt!

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice. The fabric was so pretty. I had to get creative so I could keep wearing it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda