10.21.2015

Red Hot!

It's been decades since I've worn a flippy, little red skirt. Thirty years to be exact. It was during high school when I was on pep squad. Yep, I was a cheerleader/flag-girl. Truth be told, I never really thought much about sports - until recent years. The only thing I liked about sports were the guys. Yes, I was one of those type of girls - the cheerleader who only dated jocks. I remember it like it was yesterday...walking around campus sporting my boyfriend's football jersey; standing before crowds of eager sport fans while twirling my double flags to the music of the marching band; summers at cheer camp to learn how to motivate the crowd or to perform somersaults. Now as I sit as an observer among the screaming football fanatics, I watch the pep squad..."Our team is red hot, red hot, red hot," they cheer. Part of me wants to jump down onto the field and show the young whipper-snappers how it should be done. Gone are the megaphones. Now the girls use cordless microphones to be heard. My goodness how times have changed.

After my years of cheerleading came to an end, a vowed never to wear another red skirt as long as I should live. Though I love the idea of red, I was never really thrilled to wear it. I always felt so 'in your face' when I dawned the fire engine hue. It lacked the subtlety I so love. When designers such as Dolce & Gabbana, Hermès and of course, Valentino (with their iconic Valentino Red) sent classic red, combined with black and white down the catwalk for F/W 2015, I thought to myself...'Perhaps I'll revisit red once again.' And on one lazy summer afternoon, I wandered into Zara during their summer clearance sale and spotted the little number worn in this post. Marked down to a mere $9, I was willing to make the sacrifice. I hope you enjoy today's look!


Outfit Details - Red Circle Skirt with side zippers: Zara; Black Turtleneck by Anne Klein (Great sweater at Ann Taylor) Wide Belt (Love this wide belt by Ralph Lauren); Mid-Calf Boots by Gianni Bini via eBay (love the Vince 'Dalton' Boot); Studded Crossbody Bag: Charming Charlie (Similar look in a studded wristlet); Black Everyday Opaque Tights by Nordstrom.




 

A few looks from the F/W 2015 runway:

Hermes {Source: Vogue Runway)

Valentino {Source: Vogue Runway)

Dolce & Gabbana {Source: Vogue Runway)

Its representation of love and passion is beautiful, indeed. And when I wear it, I can't help but to feel firey (is that a word?). Tell me friends, what do you think of the color red? Does it make you feel red hot, red hot, red hot? {wink}
 Stay True,

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription and receive my  
6 Ways to Breathe Life Into Your Everyday
And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other  social media platforms. Thank you!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Throwback Thursday
Fun Fashion Friday
Top of the World
 Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

23 comments:

  1. You look great in this skirt, Glenda! I am in the same color scheme on my blog today...great minds think alike! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! And you look great in your red and black too :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia. I should get back to wearing red.

      Delete
  3. Glenda,
    I really love red and black together like this... I have a red wool pencil skirt and I was looking for inspiration about how to wear it this fall. Now I need to get some pointy ankle boots like yours!

    http://www.districthilo.com

    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the pointy boots should be a piece of cake. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Love the red and black combination! I'm a big fan of red. And I love your high school story! Really took me back. I like how this skirt has pockets. I've been looking for a few red pieces for my fall/winter wardrobe to brighten things up. This is inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little blast from the past is always fun. Yes, skirts and dresses with pockets...yes please. Maybe I will wear more of it...maybe :)

      Delete
  5. I love red and I think it look fabulous on you and you should wear more of it! I love the turtleneck too as I alwasy find them very chic. Great look Glenda :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE a good turtleneck. I know many don't care for them. But like you, I consider them a classic. Thank you Nora.

      Delete
  6. Glenda,

    You rock some of the boldest pieces.I love it!

    You inspire me to throw on colorful frocs and strut like I'm a fashionista. I'm only going to Wal-Mart...but still I'm looking awfully cute on my way, in my "So what to twenty" inspired outfits.

    Thank you for such great pics, flirty pieces and fashion ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Wal-Mart customers still need to see an awesomely dressed woman. Go for it!! And thank you for your very kind words :)

      Delete
  7. Circle skirts were one of our first projects in home ec sewing class so I have a real soft spot for them. I rarely admit it but I was a cheerleader, too. I just liked jumping around. Black and red. How super classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw...home economics...like an ancient relic.I remember making my circle skirt too. It was in a yellow cotton fabric and knee length. I was so proud of it. I also remember making spaghetti. Can you imagine this generation ushering their young ladies off to take such a class...

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style. Great outfit for fall! This look with the red skirt is awesome. It makes me to want a red skater dress too. The length is just perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your search! And you're very welcome.

      Delete
  9. I love red and I have to say, you totally rock red! But I can understand the years of reticence about wearing it. I was the same about green - it was my school uniform 16-18years of age. I felt like a runner bean for two whole years wearing it. Took me a couple of decades before I could start wearing it again!
    Love the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you completely understand how I feel :) Even now, when I look at the pics of me in the skirt, I immediately think of my cheerleading days. Oy vey.

      Delete
  10. I am glad you gave this red skater skirt a try- it looks fab the way you've styled it!

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love and adore the colour red. Well... you know I am not a very subtle person. More "in your face type of woman". I just bought a fire engine red dress. I have a thrifted red pencil skirt (yet to style, please come on over and help me). A red fine-knitted sweater (got that covered in one outfit) and I am sure there will be more. Red loves me too. And I do not have any memories of being a cheerleader (we don't have them in The Netherlands). You my dear look terrific in this outfit. Really good. For 10 dollars... it looks like 200.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetje, you look wonderful in bold, primary colors...reds, green, you name it. Thank you so much, and if I lived on your side of the world, I would love to go shopping with you to select cool pieces to wear with the pencil skirt :)

      Delete
    2. I would immediately employ you as my stylist.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda