9.20.2015

Colorcopia

Early last week, while driving to the location for the Bend It Fashionably Like Beckham photo shoot, we turned the corner and spotted the most glorious of painted buildings. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen the post which simply read - Future photo shoot location - For sure! I couldn't wait to coordinate a colorful, yet simple outfit. After all, I didn't want to compete with the visual masterpiece. And since I didn't want to take away from the artist's work, I'm choosing to allow this post to become more about the work and less about what I'm wearing.

On past occasions, I have made mention of my love for the arts. After cringing my way through my son's Saturday football games, I like to relax by visiting the local art communities and museums. Whether it be visual art, writing, music, sitting in on a great lecture, and of course, fashion; I thoroughly enjoy the experience of delving into the mind of an artist. I found the work I'm showing today to be masterful.  And while some may turn their noses up at such an explosion of pop culture, I found it to be the perfect representation into the mind of a young artist - colorful and bright, playful and whimsical, filled with many ideas, and very optimistic. Enjoy!


With splatters of fresh paint decorating the sidewalk below the School of Arts and Enterprise, I was ├╝ber excited to take my position next to the impressive mural. Across the street, I noticed another artist photographing the building as well. As we continued with our shoot, the photographer, named Kristine Schomaker (check out the cool virtual installation on her website) approached us and gave us the history and name of the mural's creator. The work, called Pomonacopia, was created by her friend, Andre Miripolsky - a dynamic pop artist who has created works for Elton John (the famous 1980 Concert in Central Park “Piano Keys” costume) and Bette Midler (album package/visual design for her 1982 worldwide “DeTour”), as well as Quincy Jones, The Rolling Stones, Gato Barbieri, Robin Williams, Beastie Boys, Cheap Trick, MTV, and “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno. Wow is an understatement! Kristine then asked if she could take a picture of me having my picture taken so she could share the image with Mr. Miripolsky, using the hash tag #pomonacopia. My response...Hell yeah!


Pomonacopia by Andre Miripolsky. School of Arts and Enterprise.

Kristine went on to tell us how the work was created. Miripolsky projected his rendering onto the building, where he then was able to sketch the images. Then he, along with his team, painted the images throughout the night. Painters were provided with somewhat of a "paint by numbers" guide.




    






The day I first caught glimpse of the mural - Pomonacopia

Outfit Details - Kick Cropped Denim: Ann Taylor Loft (almost sold out. Check out this great pair by Citizens of Humanity at Nordstrom.com); Yellow Sweater: (Many yellow sweaters at Shopstyle. Love this yellow sweater by J.Crew); 9-West Sandals; Orange Kate Spade Handbag; Original Hand Painted Brooch; Aviators: From last summer Ann Taylor Loft (New Aviator Sunglasses at Loft); Nail Polish is Recessionista by essie


Please, take the time to visit the Andre Miripolsky website. He has quite an extensive and impressive oeuvre. There may be several works you are familiar with. For persons residing in California, you may be surprised to know, many of the murals decorating our state are done by Miripolsky. Last spring I visited Monterey Bay to hear my son play at the Monterey Jazz Festival...I had no idea the Urban Wave mural outside the Museum of Monterey is Miripolsky's work! This turned out to be an extraordinary post for me. What started off as a routine photo shoot, turned out to be a cornucopia colorcopia of a day, filled with history, art, and color {wink}
 Stay True,

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other social media platforms. Thank you!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Up:
Shoe & Tell
Fun Fashion Friday
Throwback Thursday
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

20 comments:

  1. Artwork notwithstanding Glenda, I am loving that sweater! Yellow is my favorite color and this is so beautiful with the black pants and those great colorful sandals. Looks like a very upbeat and fun place to spend an afternoon! That sweater though...oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I forgot I had the sweater. Tags still on. I decided this would be the perfect sweater for the mural. Yellow is also my favorite color. It's so lively.

      Delete
  2. Your artwork ( your ensemble) works well with that behind you. I was interested to read how a piece of art like that come into being. Love the colors you wore here Glenda, especially the tomato red bag, and i doe the set brooch on the sweater. Fabulous shots!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle, it was such an interesting day. Perfect timing to be on location the same time Miripolsky's friend was. This brooch was actually the inspiration for the logo of the cancer service I launched years ago. I love it dearly.

      Delete
  3. Great photo shoot Glenda...and I love the yellow top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a fashion diva! Your outfit, the mural, the posing.. all rocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamala. I can only get into my zone when there's no one around. I become a wall flower when there are spectators.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the link to the artist , I had a little peak, such talent . I can see why you returned this is such a wonderful, colour filled background , your yellow compliments it beautifully.Love your little touches, the flower pin , orange sandals and bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a true vision, Jill. So very optimistic. I can only imagine what the students feel when they arrive to school each day. So happy I would assume. It was a challenge to scale back and not compete with the art. I'm glad I accomplished it.

      Delete
  6. Wow, how brilliant was your timing that day! What a fascinating story and work. The mural is incredible and what a joyful backdrop for your own artistry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the timing was serendipitous, indeed! And thank you :)

      Delete
  7. Loving your outfit and all of the vibrant color around you. Yellow looks really good on you and I love that sweater. I think you asked me in one of my posts, if I live in Compton? No, but I am over that way a lot for women's ministry events that I am a part of.

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I see, I don't know why I asked. Just curious. Thanks LV. Yellow is my favorite color and it was great fun styling an outfit to meld with this incredible work of art.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for the wonderful post!! It was so lovely meeting you during this shoot. Thank you for sharing Andre's brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Kristine. Thank you so much for sharing the information with me. It turned out to be a very informative post and not just another outfit shoot. I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  9. Just Lovely!! I knew you would create an awesome post with the awesome background! Love how you did it. Classy, colorful and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to pass by this building everyday cause the colors are so invigorating. . .Kinda like you in this outfit. The yellow sweater on your black pants. . . .vivid, fun and chic. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fantastic project. I love all those colours. The brighter the better. Very good background for your outfit. Orange sandals and bag with a yellow sweater. What a great idea. Gosh you could style me any day. Love this sweater. It looks so good on you.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great colorful project and I can see why you wanted to photograph with this wall. Love that you coordinated your outfit with the all and the extra colors are subtle.

    Thank you for being a part of TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda