8.24.2015

Time

I took last week off to focus on getting my oldest son situated into his new home away from home - the University. I left my first born son behind to enjoy his college years. I did fine until it was time for us to get in the car and head back home. When I wrapped my arms around him, I burst into tears. All I could think about was the tiny baby he once was. In addition, my youngest had some drama with his Pop Warner football team that needed attention. Thank heavens all is well, and on Sunday, he and his team-mates were able to focus on their opening ceremony and scrimmage game. Both of my sons are developing into fine young men. Where has the time gone?

It seems only yesterday I, too, was a blossoming young girl of the 1970s. I remember playing "House" at recess with the other students. We would form our families and pretend we were grown-ups with children. I remember pointing to the boy who would be my husband, and stating with a commanding, sassy voice, "You're going to be the husband." Yes, I'll admit, I was pretty demanding during that time (smile). No longer demanding, and married to my real husband and with two sons, I realize how quickly time moves.   

For today's look, I'm wearing a vintage 1970s dress which represents the true essence of life during that particular time. A lite and airy dress which makes me feel as if I'm taking flight when the wind bellows beneath it. A time in my life when I was innocent and began to explore through fashionable artistic expression. To embrace that particular time, this photo shoot takes place in a historic community which thrives through its bohemian art scene. Enjoy!


Outfit Details: Jack Kramer of California Vintage 1970's faux patchwork tiered maxi dress via eBay (other 70s dresses on eBay); Sandals by Sigerson Morrison via eBay; Crystal Pendant Necklace: Loft; Silver rings purchased in Mexico; Gold filigree bangles are vintage treasures too. Nail Polish is In Stitches by essie.











 

This morning is my oldest son's first day of college. I texted him with this simple message...

"This is the first day of the rest of your incredible life. Relax and enjoy this time. I love you."{wink}

Stay True,

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other social media platforms. Thank you!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

32 comments:

  1. Beautiful Dress Glenda!! I especially love the sleeves! Classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adrienne! I also LOVE this dress and agree...the sleeves make it so feminine.

      Delete
  2. My heart goes out to you Glenda. I remember when my sons went off on their own. The hugs and tears are still fresh in my mind when I read this. God bless you, you'very done your job &turned out a fine young man. Two of them! Something about this dress makes me smile. I love it, and how you used it to tell a story from your life. I never thought of vintage this way, but I will now! Your text to your son is beautiful. What an emotional time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Karen. When I shop vintage I always wonder about the history of the piece, the era and time it was originated and the life it led with its previous owner. And yes, this time is very emotional, but yet, I'm so proud of his accomplishments!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress, Glenda and it flows freely like your new life will. Transitions are tough, but often lead to new vibrant places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, this is such a beautiful statement. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I remember those beautiful flowing granny dresses of the 70's. Thank you for bringing this back into circulation. So feminine. The neckline in the back is stunning! Oh boo hoo. I remember sending my baby girl off to college. I was a mess. Now we're deep in preparations as my son heads off to the university later this week. Waaaaa....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore the back too. It somehow makes it modern, yet it still holds true to the time.
      I knew it would be tough letting them go, but at the same time, I'm so proud of his accomplishments. I would be a terrible parent if I denied him of his dreams.

      Delete
  5. Glenda, the dress is enchanting. There is such a 70s resurgence going on right now in fashion that this vintage dress looks spot-on. I find myself asking where has the time gone, all the time. We seem to have grown up around the same time. I still like some 70s fashion items and the music was so spectacular back then. I was looking forward to seeing your shoes. I will admit that after I saw they are Sigerson Morrison shoes I hastily scrolled back up to get another glimpse. I need to spend more time browsing on ebay.

    Sharon
    http://www.afashioncrowd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sharon, the 70s was an incredible time for music. My teenage son once stated he wished he was living during the time because he loves the music so much.
      Yes, the dress is indeed enchanting. There are such treasures to be found on eBay. It has become one of top resources for vintage shopping. I haven't been let-down yet.

      Delete
  6. The dress is indeed very seventies. I remember it well that I was wearing such a dress.
    Hope you don't have too much empty nest syndrome. I have been told that this is what happens to moms. Not being one, I wouldn't know.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there is still one more in the home with us. We've got quite some time before we're completely alone. I don't want to think about how fast the time will fly.

      Delete
  7. Well, you know how I feel about this dress as stated on IG!!
    I am sending hugs your way as you send your son off to school. I can only imagine as my turn to do the same is quickly approaching. Enjoy this new season Glenda!

    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shon. I appreciate the hugs :)

      Delete
  8. I love the message you sent to your son! This dress is gorgeous! Such a great find + you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time sure does fly! I too am a child of the seventies and your beautiful dress is such a flashback! I always swooned over Gunnesax dresses. My son is soon turning 21. Gah! Aren't sons a wonderful thing? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the Gunne Sax dresses too! I felt so nostalgic in this dress. And yes, sons are so wonderful. I'm honored to be one to raise them into men.

      Delete
  10. I understand completely, now our youngest will be leaving on Friday and we are going to make a rolling stop and push him out the car at Bowie State University! Be strong mom, you did good and now the birdie must fly...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear that even with your inevitable meltdown that everything went good with getting your son off to university.

    I love the dip at the back of your dress and how it moves with you - so dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a meltdown and another this morning. I feel like I'm having postpartum for the first time ever.
      The dress is so lovely, Steph. 100% cotton and so ethereal and lite. The dip just adds to the already loveliness of it.

      Delete
  12. Isn't it hard to let our kids go, no matter how old they are. This is my son's second year at college and I still had a hard time letting him go...How sweet that you have been with your husband all these years. Love this dress on you, very boho chic!
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This dress really captures the essence of one of my alter-egos...the bohemian. I adore it.
      I don't imagine these stages of life to get any easier. I still have my 8th grader and I already know it will be even harder when he flies the coup.

      Delete
  13. Hello Glenda! So nice to see that one of the most stylish female fashion bloggers I know is still going strong :) Your 70s inspired dress is fabulous! You look smashing!

    My daughter is just a few years out of college but I will never forget dropping her off at her University at the start of her freshman year. She is my only child and we are closer than any two people could ever be, so let me tell you it was not easy. Life truly does fly. One minute they're babies and the next young adults. Of course we remain ageless ;)

    Have a wonderful day!
    PS. Love that you met your husband when you were a young schoolgirl!

    http://marymurnane.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're back, Mary, and I know how important it is to step back and breath. I'm glad you like the dress. It truly is a magnificent piece. I'm glad I swiped it off of eBay.

      I knew my son's leaving would be difficult. He and I are so alike in many ways...both of us are introverted, bohemians who are always in our head. But, like the saying goes - they will always be our babies :)

      Delete
  14. Pretty look and so cute pics!
    Have a nice evening!
    Blamod
    http://blamod.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a sensitive time for you, Glenda! I can feel your emotions. You sent a wonderful message to your son. Such a gift your sons have in such supportive parents as you and Frank are!

    This dress is a marvel, and you look fantastic in it! Love the way you accessorized it too, very delicate. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia. Yes, this time is very sensitive. I'm so proud of him, but yet, I miss having him around. We're so excited about his accomplishments.

      I'm in love with this nostalgic dress. With the busy pattern, I thought it better to keep the accessories delicate.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda