8.13.2015

Snake Charmer

Last night I had my third gathering at The Intersection on Periscope called, How to Make Accessories Werk (see video below). During the broadcast, I styled a basic LBD with several different accessory options, with each look having its own personality - the Equestrian, the After Five, the Playful, and the Quirky. The last look, which I dubbed the pièce de résistance (which I'm sure I pronounced incorrectly) was an Ode to Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. I also shared my top four accessorizing rules (see below).

To end last night's gathering, I demonstrated one of my accessory rule breakers, that is, taking a multi-colored garment or ensemble, and matching accessories to every color represented in the outfit. To shed light onto the rule, I took the dress I'm wearing in this post and paired it with black shoes, red purse, green necklace, yellow cocktail ring, blue gloves and a white bangle.The results...an outfit with too much going on. To counteract the busyness of last night's demonstration, I invited them all back today to see how I accessorized the dress in a way that werks. Enjoy!


Dressed in a multi-colored, off-the-shoulder, maxi dress of black, white, red, blue, green and golden yellow, I chose to let the dress make the statement by keeping my gold hued accessories to a minimum. Wrapped in an assortment of color, I thought it fun to wear my latest acquisition - an antique gold snake charmer wrap cuff purchased during my day at the villa. The other gold toned accessories complement the cuff plus the green and golden yellow hues in the dress. The finished look gives a polished, ancient Roman vibe with a kiss of bohemian. Hence: Often times a complete look can be created around a single accessory. Such is the case with my snake charmer cuff.

Outfit Details: Dress purchased via eBay (Striped Maxi Dresses at Shopstyle); Dual-Headed Snake Bracelet: The Getty Villa Gift Shop; Mood Ring belonged to my mother (Many Mood Rings at Etsy); Gold Chain Belt/Necklace with Medallions purchased at a flea market, Sandals by Miss Trish of Capri via Target many years ago; Polish is A List by Essie.


Snake Charmer, Dual Headed Snake Bracelet

Mood Ring belonged to my Mother

Glenda's Top 4 Accessorizing Rules:
  • Accessories should complement the feel and flow of your attire. Accessories should not compete with your look but enhance it;
  • I try to stick with elements when wearing jewelry (silver, gold, rose gold, etc). I never wear head-to-toe matchy-matchy. In other words, if I'm wearing a orange pantsuit, I wouldn't wear orange earrings, bracelets, handbag, shoes, belt, etc. Or, if wearing a multi-colored outfit, select one color to play with or stick with elements. Wearing accessories to represent each color in the outfit becomes an over produced look;
  • When considering my own image (personality, body type and scale), I believe less is more;
  • It's not necessary to put accessories on every part of your body. As an example, if wearing an off-the-shoulder top or dress, the bareness of the chest and shoulders is quite alluring.




Accessories are a fun and roughly inexpensive way to add to and/or enhance your wardrobe. They truly are like the icing on a cake. However, you have to be careful when applying the icing. There are times when the icing is delicious and adds to the decadence. Then there are times when the icing is bad. When this happens, you find yourself eating around the icing to get to the cake. Don't let this happen to you. Make it all delicious so each and every bite can be enjoyed {wink}
Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other social media platforms. Thank you!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Throwback Thursday
Fun Fashion Friday
High Latitude Style
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

26 comments:

  1. Great tips and dress...you look lovely as always, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress looks amazing on! I agree that simple accessories are best here. The "piled on" look on last night's broadcast really made the point. I loved the variations on styling the LBD. You wear them all well and each one just seems so Glenda! The black dress itself was so pretty. You looked stunning when the broadcast started. You have a real gem in your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Karen. I always hope I end the broadcast with everyone feeling inspired. It's good to follow the blog, but it's even nicer to see how fashion comes alive. Yes, the hubs is very supportive.

      Delete
  3. What a stellar dress. I'm really feeling that peasant style this year. Sorry I missed your broadcast. Wednesday nIght my French group gets together. Oh mood rings. I remember those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love wearing the jewelry that belonged to my mom. I remember being fascinated with mood rings.

      Delete
  4. Love this dress on you and the off-the-shoulder look is so Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been able to catch one of these live yet, but the video was so fun to watch! I'm hoping to be able to join in live soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are other creative ways to use a scarf other than around the neck. I like scarfs, but don't like my clothing to be up close around my neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steff. Follow me on Periscope and I'll give other suggestions on how to wear scarves in an upcoming broadcast.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed the video - such fun to see how you choose accessories to complement various styling options. I am always impressed with how graceful and elegant you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O wow, Rebecca, thank you. What a sweet thing to say. I'm glad you enjoyed the video!

      Delete
  8. To be honest with you, I think this is my favorite maxi dress - love all of the colors! Have a wonderful weekend. #HighLatitudeStyle

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right Glenda that the bare shoulders look better with this dress than with a necklace. Although it is always hard for me to resist wearing a necklace haha.
    Looking perfect as ever. (Saw your video too).
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm sure it can be hard to resist, but since I like the look of bare shoulders, it comes easy for me ;)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for linking up to Top of the World Style. I don't know whether I love your snake bangle or the dress more! Another great outfit! So what 2 20!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with your accessory rules. Esp....less is more. Love the maxi by the way. The colors are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips on accessories and I love how accessories can change a feel of an outfit.

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com


    ReplyDelete
  13. Glenda, this dress is gorgeous. Once of my faves for sure! I love the pattern and off the shoulder style. GORGEOUS!

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda