8.04.2015

Black Down Memory Lane

Sparked by a recent Elle.com piece which remembered the style of Jackie Kennedy, I felt the need to take another trip Back Black Down Memory Lane. I hope you saw Monday's post called Kick-Hem, which was another take on wearing vintage inspired clothing. The vintage bug must have bit me because I'm definitely infected.

In the Elle presentation, called Jackie Kennedy's 6 Essential Style Rules, slide #5 was dedicated to a few looks Jackie wore which had interesting collar or neck detail. During her years as First Lady, legendary designer, Oleg Cassini, designed a plethora of garments which featured interest around the neck. Jackie must have really grasp hold of these types of looks since she dawned many neck-adorned fashions throughout the decades.

To further my stroll down memory lane, I've selected an obvious black dress for this post, and paired it with accessories which were very popular during the 50s and 60s era...Cat-eye sunglasses, a ladylike silk floral handbag, a pair of laser-cut gloves from my personal archives (I've been collecting vintage gloves for years), and a necklace which was wrapped around my arm several times to create a charm bracelet. Remember the scene in 1954's Rear Window when Grace Kelly wore an amazing gold charm bracelet with a lime green suit? If you don't recall this epic fashion scene, please visit my provided link. So incredibly chic. Enjoy today's stroll Black Down Memory Lane!


Outfit Details - Tie Neck Poplin Dress: eshakti; Strappy Sandals (Enzo Angiolini Strappy Sandals at Nordstrom); Silk Floral Handbag by Banana Republic via eBay (I found a couple still available. Search on eBay);  Vintage Ivory Gloves (my personal archive); Cat-eye Sunglasses: Getty Center Gift Shop (Many Cat-eye Sunglasses at Nordstrom); Emerald Ring was a gift from a former employer; Polish is A List by Essie.




Popular during the 50s and 60s - a shawl collar with neck tie.





Some would cringe at the idea of being ladylike. I, on the other hand, feel extremely powerful for my trip Black Down Memory Lane - the nipped at the waist black dress with feminine shawl collar, delicate gloves and dainty purse all add to the charm of yesteryear, when ladies dressed like ladies and men responded by treating us as such{wink}

Before you click away, please visit #WNJBeauty @ Whitney Nic James. I was featured in a Summer Beauty post.

Don't Forget to join me tomorrow at The Intersection on Periscope

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other social media platforms. Thank you!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:

Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Kellyann! It's always good to see your comments. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. I love this dress Glenda! You really made it modern and fun with your choice of accessories! I'm firmly in the black dress camp and fine them to be wardrobe staples! So much you can do with a black dress! I'm going to read the article on Jackie Kennedy. She had such impeccable style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I had so much fun wearing this dress. For the photo-shoot, I thoroughly enjoyed posing like models from the past. The dress fits so well. I got it from eShakti. I've done a few collaborations with them and each dress I've received has fit like a glove. Speaking of gloves, I agree the accessories just add a very special element to the dress.

      Delete
  3. Glenda, you look so completely gorgeous in this ensemble! I love every bit of it, especially the gloves and bag! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jill. The gloves are so unexpected and the bag is so pretty.

      Delete
  4. So elegant in your black dress , love the lady like gloves and bag . All you need is the pillbox hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I was thinking the same thing!

      Delete
  5. So you, ladylike and classic! Would love to see the collection of gloves too!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin. Perhaps one day I'll bring them out :)

      Delete
  6. You look Elegant and this dress fits you to a tee. . .Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neti! eshakti does a great job with sizing the garments to the customer.

      Delete
  7. Really nice dress Glenda. I especially like the purse, it just adds that little touch of class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love the dress too. The original price on the bag was around $100 at Banana Republic. I found it on eBay for $6!

      Delete
  8. You look amazing, and I WANT THIS DRESS! I love the neck detail. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is quite an adorable dress, and I believe it's still available.

      Delete
  9. I love vintage and vintage style handbags and your floral number is gorgeous. It's dainty without being twee. And the addition of the gloves takes it to another style level! I can absolutely see why you feel powerful. Ladylike and strong aren't mutually exclusive even if some women think they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I feel strangely powerful when I'm at my feminine best. I've acquired quite a collection of vintage accessories, gloves being my favorite.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda