8.09.2015

Life: A Day at the Villa

This past week was extremely full. After last week's Periscope broadcast on styling modern with vintage, my family headed out on a 390 mile journey to Northern California to watch our oldest perform at a jazz camp. After the performance, we then turned around and headed back home so the youngest could make it to a very crucial football practice. The things we do for our children. Right?

And since the concept of being overly busy doesn't sit well with me (I need my down time), the entire week left me feeling irritated. Hence the reason why we discussed Cursing during the Life portion of The Intersection. Yes, I'll have to admit, I threw out a couple of F-bombs during the week (don't judge). If you follow me on Instagram (I hope you do), while in Stanford, California, I happened upon a book called, Good Manners for Nice People Who Sometimes Say F*CK by Amy Alkon. Hmm, sounds like a good read...

During the 7 hour drive, I received an email from the Getty Villa inviting persons to attend a workshop called Scent, Spice, Salve  - a simple hands-on activity that shows visitors how herbs used centuries ago are still commonly used today. Participants would leave with small sachets filled with their own favorite herbal blends to use for aromatherapy, seasoning or tea. Yes, this would be the perfect activity to engage in after a chaotic week! I immediately made reservations to attend. For the the rest of the road trip, I kept my thoughts focused on A Day at the Villa. Enjoy!  


Outfit Details - Collarless White Shirt-dress: Gap (Very old, but similar White shirt-dress at Shoptiques); Rancher Hat: Anthropologie (Sold Out. Similar Halogen Straw Panama Hat at Nordstrom); Bella Thong Sandals: Aldo; Painted Clutch Pouch: Ann Taylor Loft (Sold Out.

For my day, I decided to keep my outfit light and airy with a simple Gap shirt-dress I've worn on the blog before; simple thong sandals, my favorite Rancher hat, and painted clutch pouch. The day was warm, however the coastal breeze made the temperature perfect at the Villa. The Getty Villa is tucked away off the crowded and super fast-paced Pacific Coast Highway in Pacific Palisades. And though it is just minutes from one our busiest beaches...Santa Monica, once you enter into it's quaint surroundings, you forget about the legions of people sunning it up just moments away.



Unfortunately, because of So Cal's water drought, the pool was empty.

The Getty Villa (not to be mistaken for the much larger Getty Center) has long been my favorite museum in So Cal, and is one of my overall top places to visit. In order to visit, you must make reservations in advance. This makes your time at the Villa much more cozy as there won't be too many people present at any given time. It's relaxing and easy to move about the gardens and exhibits without feeling hurried.
 
A little Getty Villa history: The Getty Villa is modeled after a first-century Roman country house, the Villa dei Papiri in Herculaneum, Italy. The building was constructed in the early 1970s by architects who worked closely with J. Paul Getty to develop the interior and exterior details. Buried by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79, much of the Villa dei Papiri remains unexcavated. Therefore, architects based many of the Museum's architectural and landscaping details on elements from other ancient Roman houses in the towns of Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Stabiae. Gardens are integral to the setting of the Getty Villa, as they were in the ancient Roman home, and include herbs and shrubs inspired by those grown in ancient Roman homes for food and ceremony.




Enjoying the workshop

I made two sachets: A Lavender & Sage mix for bathing, and Spearmint for tea.


Nestled in the hills above the coastline, the Villa has an interesting mix of modern architecture combined with Mediterranean. The angled edges of the newly constructed portion of the museum is a perfect compliment to it's more colossal sister - the Getty Center, which is just a few miles from the Villa.

His and Hers plates. I decided to have the complete Mediterranean experience. He, on the other hand...




Views from the gardens. Notice the beautiful, ripe, red pomegranates growing in the tree in the picture above. It took lots of willpower to not pick one.
 
I've always wanted a wrap snake cuff. I found a good one in the museum store. I love museum stores.
 
A view of the Pacific Ocean
A Day at the Villa was just what the doctor ordered. To be surrounded by the beauty of nature and the finest in antiquities put me at peace once again. I hope you enjoyed this post. Since the tagline for So What to Twenty is Where Life and Fashion Intersect, I thought an occasional post which represents how I live would make a nice addition. I hope you agree. Is this something you would like to see more of? Let me know{wink}

Stay True,
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other social media platforms. Thank you!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Ups:
Shoe & Tell
Whitney Nic James
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

18 comments:

  1. Great post - beautiful photography, gorgeous setting, wonderful and stylish you! I enjoyed very much, and if you feel inspired, please do write such posts. I also love museums and museum stores... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia. Thank you very much. It dawned on me that I hadn't been showing much about the way I live, even though my tagline is where life and fashion intersect. It was a picture perfect day at the Villa. No words to describe the beauty of the location.

      Delete
  2. I feel like I just visited myself with all the photos and descriptions! It sounds like the perfect way to spend a day after the week you had. I love the idea of the herbs and the calming activity of putting things together to take with you. What a perfect day! And the food - looks wonderful! Glad you had a day like that after the long week! Gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Karen, the Getty Villa is so pretty. Each time I've gone, and that has been many, it's as if it's my first time. I love it dearly. And the food...Yum!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful locale and your dress and hat were perfect for the occasion. Beautiful photos too!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! One of the great benefits of living in California. We're blessed with amazing locations surrounded by natural elements.

      Delete
  4. I love the Getty Villa and your beautiful breezy outfit is on fleek. See? I have kids, too and I'm off for a drive up to LA to pick youngest up from the airport coming home from summer school. It never ends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Connie...you go with girl :)
      I just found out what fleek was a couple of weeks ago. Shame on me. I hadn't heard my sons say it.

      Delete
  5. Glenda, What a magnificent place to be! I adore the simple white dress in that setting, and Of course i love the pop of details with the bag! I would love to have attending that workshop, both th herb and the hands on approach would be relaxing to me..
    The F bomb, I think it is a great word, used sparingly and not lazily. It is sometimes the only word;)
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the ladies who visit the Villa seem to dress really nice. It was a lovely day and quite a fashion show was on display. I saw so many pretty dresses. Next time you're in So Cal, you must pay them a visit. You'll fall deeper in love with my beloved California.

      Delete
  6. Glenda,
    Yet again you've nailed it. Oh to know what to wear when and what looks best with what!!!! BRAVO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you Cynthia. It's not something that can't be learned.

      Delete
  7. Awesome and detailed pictures. You looked very cool, calm, and collective. Your white outfit went perfect for your mini vacation at the museum. Be blessed and keep doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fascinating post and a lovely read. First because your outfit is just perfect for the location. And I'm crazy about herbs and their uses so I'm envious of the workshop you participated in. That would've been right up my street! I loved reading the history of the place not least because I've been to Herculaneum and Pompeii - two of the most extraordinary places in the world I've been to. Both very different to each other.
    What is it with men and burgers? My husband is exactly the same! Those could be our plates! I've also found museum shops to be great treasure troves where you can buy unique pieces and your cuff is beautiful. A great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envy you for your travels. Oh the wealth of history you must have gained while visiting these locations. Thank you so much about my outfit. The day before I was able to have a major break through toward my book writing, so the day was met with the feeling of freedom. And yes, it felt great to be out of our car after a long road trip. The outfit was light and easy and that's exactly how I felt. I never worry about my sons or husband wanting my type of food choices. They always need meat.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda