7.12.2015

Sleek

After all the fanfare from my last post, MAXImum, I decided to follow-up by taking a more minimal approach to dress. In MAXImum I wore a garment which represented maximized statement in color, structure and in details. It definitely didn't fall short in wow factor. The dress is a fun piece to have in my wardrobe, and I'll surely enjoy wearing it for many occasions, but there is also a side of Glenda who appreciates a more streamlined sleek way of dressing.

Barely visible detailing...discreet buttons, clean lines, obscure pockets, and silky fabric that skims the body constitute minimalism in its highest form. Take the simplest of garments and pair it with shiny accessories; cast me next to a metal backdrop and you've got a look that's ultra sleek. Enjoy!


For today's look I'm wearing a very sleek shift dress - minimalism personified. I chose the dress because of its clean, uncomplicated design. I knew I would have great fun jazzing it up with different accessories and shoes/sandals. And, I most certainly did. Since deciding to call this post Sleek, I thought it interesting to style the garment with shiny metals with hard and soft edges - Somewhat of a juxtaposition with the feminine form and persona.

Outfit Details - Marc Andrews New York Shift Dress via Marshalls (Loads of shift dresses at Nordstrom.com); Tildon Blaire Sandals via TJ Maxx (I found some available on eBay); Layered Brushed Silver Bib Necklace purchased from Vintage Odyssey (Check out this The Sak Bib Necklace or the Tiered Cut-out Aztec Necklace from Express); Cat-eye Sunglasses complete the look (Cat-eye Sunglasses at Nordstrom.com).
  








I developed my own sense of fashion at an early age. Because of this, I was able to allow my clothing choices to paint a visual picture of who I am. Whether I'm dressed in boisterous fanfare or quietly understated, I feel confident in my choices. I am a multi-layered woman with many facets to my life, and my wardrobe should paint a picture as such. What picture does your wardrobe paint about you?{wink}

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other social media platforms. Thank you!


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
Link Up:
Shoe and Tell
Whitney Nic James
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

26 comments:

  1. Oh Glenda!
    I adore this dress on your, the simple lines, the pockets,and the color, most of all. That sleek, perfect word, necklace is smooth and almost futurist ..a perfect touch, as are the sandals which you know I love ! I also paint my wardrobe with many layers..
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elle!

      Would you believe I had not one piece of sky blue in my closet? As a matter of fact, pastels are very limited. But this shade of blue, for some reason, touched me. The cut of the dress, in my opinion, makes the blue more likeable. I can't explain why. Perhaps because I normally see pastels in ultra feminine pieces. I don't want to appear child-like in my clothes.

      The necklace, funny you should say futuristic. I didn't see it until you mentioned it :)

      Delete
  2. Glenda this is such a fab look! One of your best. LOVE it. The dress is perfect. My closet is my playground ;)
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lenya. It's such a no-fuss look. I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  3. Very sleek and simple chic! I love the pockets! You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. I was surprised it had pockets. Usually this type of fabric would be without them because it could destroy the clean lines in the dress. I'm glad they're there.

      Delete
  4. I love this look on you; the shoes keep it in fabulous territory rather than safe territory, which makes it perfect in my opinion. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Yes, I agree. I wanted something to peek out from the minimal factor. I believe the sandals did the trick ;)

      Delete
  5. This outfit is so elegant....and those shoes....WOW!!! jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jodie! I love the sandals too. No matter what I wear with them, they instantly add an extra dose of wow factor.

      Delete
  6. Love the dress and especially how you've styled with the pared down but high-impact accessories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As Stylopedia mentioned above, I wanted a touch of wow rather than safe.

      Delete
  7. Oh Glenda I absolutely love this dress!! The color, the style, it is just simply fabulous! Looks wonderful with the jewelry and sandals! I have often tried to define my style and now I see why it can sometimes be difficult to do that. Like you said about being multi-faceted, I think that's where my problem of trying to define a singular style comes in. I am more than one personality type, thus my style choices fluctuate! For work I would always define my style as 'classic modern', but out of this place it all changes! Still have my 'classic' days to be sure, but I find that I can't narrow down a definition of what my style is. Like this response to your question, I'm all over the place! The simple elegance of this dress you are wearing really speaks to me though. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen and thank you!

      Here is the key...
      Rarely will anyone fit into one fashion personality. Yes, you hear someone say, "I'm classic" or "I'm trendy" etc. But more than likely, you can place yourself into multiple groups. As an example - I say I'm classic with a touch of bohemian and a bit of quirky. Those three fashion personalities also coincide with my overall lifestyle. Yes, I love traditions (classic), but I'm also artsy and earthy (bohemian) and I adore non-absolutes (quirky). Understand? Often times you'll see that I take classic garments and pair them with touches of quirk and bohemian. Just like I did in this post. I took a very classic shift dress and wore a tribal inspired necklace (bohemian) and very quirky shoes. Yet and still, after mixing the three personalities, the outfit is still very harmonious. Why? Because it reflects who I am - my style. It's balanced and it works.
      I hope that wasn't confusing.

      Delete
  8. Very Classy. With a capital C. Beautifully finished with the silver sandals and jewellery.
    I like it a lot. Funny isn't it, how we all have so many different sides to our character. Which shows in clothes choices.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greetje. I'm glad you like it.

      It proves how important fashion truly is to us. It's our first impression to others. If people can't understand how important a good first impression is, well...that is pretty sad and scary.

      Delete
  9. Very sleek indeed and I love the color. You look darling and so classically beautiful in this ensemble. Sometimes simple and sleek is the way to go.

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Whitney! Yes, I agree...sometimes simple and sleek is the way to go. I live by that rule ;)

      Delete
  10. Lovely outfit and amazing pics=)
    KISSES from Italy
    http://blamod.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glenda, you most definitely are a multi-layered woman and you pull it off with grace and sophistication. That shade of blue is divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steph! I'm having a love affair with sky blue.

      Delete
  12. You look Glam & effortless in this classy blue dress and I love how you styled it. Enjoy your Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this look. I have always liked shift dresses, but they never look good on me. Love how sleek and effortless this look is and the extra flavor your accessories add to the look.
    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shift dresses can be tricky. This one is nice. The fabric makes it flow with ease.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda