6.14.2015

Freedom

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
Albert Einstein

On Thursday, I watched with an overjoyed heart as my oldest son graduated from high school. After shaking hands with members of the school board of directors, he returned to his seat with a jovial walk and smile. Most certainly, I could feel his happiness. It was such an incredible moment. Later the same evening, after spending time celebrating by dancing the night away with friends and family, I asked my son what he was thinking once he received his diploma. His response, "My Freedom."

As he takes the next big step in his life from grade school to college, and closer to his dream of living his life in the creative music industry, I am reminded of how my young son inspires me to continue making my own strides. Strides which are sometimes difficult to take, but because I'm pursuing a much sought after dream, the steps have the uncanny ability to cut the ties that bind and restrict - Yes, Freedom.

For today's look, I'm wearing an outfit which represents my free and creative spirit - A bohemian trapeze top combined with a pair of spandex infused Bermuda shorts that fit my curves without making me feel bound. And of course, accessories and sandals which are a balanced yet clever mix of quirky patterns and textures. Might I add, I'm wearing a Disney Millennium watch. Who better to represent the quote above than the iconic Walt Disney - a man whose mind must have been completely unshackled to have created such a magical legacy. Enjoy the look!  


Bermuda Shorts Courtesy of Royalty For Me

Outfit Details - Royalty Bermuda Shorts: Royalty For Me; Bohemian Top: Free People (Old, but options at Nordstrom); Pouch: Loft (No longer available online but I found the Au Revoir option); Blaire Sandals by Tildon (Still some on eBay).  






 

My son and I are generations apart. Yet and still, we find ourselves on parallel paths - both of us embracing a life which will give us opportunities to inspire...to create...to labor in freedom {wink}

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to follow me via email subscription. And please, take the time to share this post with your friends via email and other social media platforms. Thank you!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin or Instagram or Google+
Whitney Nic James
Shoe and Tell
Throwback Thursday
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Glenda and lovely outfit. Those shoes are to die for. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elsie and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Love the outfit and also what it represents! There is nothing quite like the freedom we have to pursue our dreams. I'm currently working on freeing myself from the fears that I've allowed to hold me back. Not an easy task, but it will certainly be worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct by saying, it isn't an easy task. It goes back to the post I wrote called One Bold Move. Right? Often we need to just do it because the more we think about taking the steps, we talk ourselves out of it.

      Delete
  3. You look gorgeous, confident and free - congratulations on your son :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I feel FREE :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations mom, it is definitely a wonderful feeling watching them transition from childhood to adulthood and off to college. Have an awesome week and once again, you look mah-vah-lous my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Antionette! I'm both exciting and a bit frightened. But I take confidence in how we raised our young men. I'm excited for what his future holds.

      Delete
  5. Those shoes rock!!! jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can remember I felt exactly the same emotion when I was in your son's position. FINALLY... I screamed in my head..." . FINALLY, the world is mine".
    And your outfit is gorgeous and indeed gives you freedom.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember my high school graduation day. The event was so impersonal. Not at all the way my son's graduation was conducted. We didn't even get our names called. I do, however, remember graduating from FIDM. Such a wonderful event with lots of fanfare!

      Delete
  7. Too often are we held back by chains, particularly those in our minds, restraining and refraining us from being all that we could possibly be. Thank you for the inspiration, my friend, it comes at such a timely moment as I find myself at the cusp. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you. Most of the chains are in our own minds. I'm constantly reminded of a statement a friend once said to me, "Get out of your own way." Yes, so true. I am also on the cusp.

      Delete
  8. That is so wonderful that your son just graduated from high school! What a fantastic feeling that must be! I love that you say he inspires you!
    You look gorgeous, love that beautiful bright top and gorgeous sandals!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rebecca! Yes, my son...both of them inspire me greatly. I watch them pursue their dreams and it makes me push harder towards my own.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations to your son! What an exciting time for sure. We have one more year and my last son will graduate. Last night he informed us that he wasn't interested in going through the graduation ceremonies. What???? I think he'll change his mind later.
    You look great here in your summery outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joni! Oh yes, he'll change his mind. If not, he will regret the decision...an experience he'll never get back.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your son's graduation Glenda. It sounds like a wonderful day. I am a huge lover of bermuda shorts and you know I adore those shoes. Fabulous and Free look!
    Thank you for linking up with SHOE AND TELL on Style Nudge.

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie! These shorts fit perfectly. I'm very pleased with them. The shoes...oh yes...the shoes ;)

      Delete
  11. Hello my baby doll!!!! First things first, congratulations and prayers for a wonderful next chapter for your son. This was an awesome blog post, thank you for sharing this with us. That outfit is EVERYTHING!!!! Those shorts are the perfect length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, I must say I absolutely adore your name! Thank you for your kind words and prayers. These are truly exciting times in our home. I'm glad you like the look. I like the results too. The shorts fit like a glove and I'm very pleased with them.

      Delete
  12. Mmmm....funny boy! Freedom sure must be nice :)). I remember feeling the same way after graduating from University and boy, it was just the beginning of life in itself. I congratulate you and your family for a job well done. I am sure he will be reaching for the moon and beyond.

    You look so chic and happy. Your top is a beautiful piece and you always wear the cutest shoes.

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When speaking of music, Busola, I can relate to my son...he is thinking the freedom in his mind. The freedom needed to create and explore. I'm very proud of him. And thank you for the lovely compliment :)

      Delete
  13. High School graduation is quite a milestone, congrats to your son! Those shoes are something serious. Super cute outfit!
    http://www.robincharmagne.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is quite an accomplishment. And I agree...these sandals are sick!

      Delete
  14. Oh Glenda.
    congrats to both of you to being on the path to freedom, the sweet road to fulfillment. I am sure ou both reinforce each other's ambition!
    Love your outfit. The shorts are a great length and your top is a stunning color. those shoes! I want them, so off to eBay I go!
    Spendid, and Royal
    xx, elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to your son on his graduation! This is such a great look, those sandals are amazing!

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda