5.03.2015

Playful

I wouldn't describe myself as a class clown, but I am the type of woman who likes having fun; enjoys a good laugh - you know, the type that makes tears; and I get a kick out of being spontaneous. Most of the time my life requires some type of schedule...pick up the boys by this time, post to the blog on this day, arrive to the event by this time, etc, etc. But on days when I'm footloose and fancy free, the idea of sticking with a specific time is thrown out the window. On these days, drives down the highway with the sunroof open...singing out loud the songs I love...trying out a new eatery...laughing a little louder...jumping on my husband's back for a piggy-back ride. Oh yes, the joys of being playful.

A playful spirit beckons a playful wardrobe. On days when I'm free to let my hair down (smile), I love to dress in an outfit that coincides with my sprightly spirit - something whimsical, colorful, unique, and full of life. After all, if I'm dressing to have a good time, my selection should reflect such an occasion? The way we dress should be a representation of who we are...a glimpse without uttering a single word. Right? Right. And since I thoroughly enjoy life, and on this day I'm as free as a bird, I selected an outfit that puts a stamp of approval on such a playful mood.


For today's look I'm wearing a fun and whimsical outfit - a stripe blue and white, frilled top by Zara takes center stage, while combined with denims in a bold red, and the fluidity of my favorite metal - silver. And what a perfect location to shoot the photos - a playground.

Outfit Details - Frilled Top: Zara; The Mid-Rise Rockstar Red Denim: Old Navy (Options at Shopstyle); Silver Pumps: WHBM (Check these out); White Patent Clutch: Juicy Couture (Options); Free as a Bird lariat necklace (Options on Etsy)



Free as a Bird lariat necklace





Life can be a challenge at times. It's important that we let loose and enjoy what life has to offer. On Wednesday, I joined my alma mater (FIDM) in downtown Los Angeles for a private viewing of Iris, the documentary about the beloved, over 90 fashion "It" girl, the rare bird herself - Iris Apfel.


On my walk back to the FIDM campus, I reflected on the film with other movie goers. I left the event feeling on top of the world for two reasons. First: I broke my weekly schedule and ventured into the city for some good old fashion fun (no pun intended). Second: Iris' playful spirit leaped from the screen. Yes, we all know her style is outstanding, but her most enduring quality was her vitality and zest for life. I left the theater thinking, "I want to play like Iris when I grow up." {wink}

 
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin or Instagram or Google+
Link Ups:
Visible Monday
Shoe and Tell
Whitney Nic James
Fun Fashion Friday
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

42 comments:

  1. Love the post...I really really try to have fun, keep smiling, and enjoy each day. Can't wait to see IRIS. Love your outfit and your photo shoot location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we do have to try to have fun, don't we? We allow life to take precedence. Thank goodness we have a gauge that lets us know when enough is enough.

      Delete
  2. Great post; LOVE the shoes, especially! Also on the edge of my seat waiting to see IRIS... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you're going to love the film!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post and pictures, Glenda. It's clear you know how to have some fun! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect outfit and creative choice of location for this post! There's an inner child in everyone of us and it is important to keep that part of us alive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great location for a fun shoot! Love your red jeans and those shoes are fab. I am looking forward to seeing that movie soon.
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nora, you're going to love the film. Lot's of memorable moments. And her wardrobe...Oh my goodness!

      Delete
  6. Love the outfit! Pairing it with the playground...brilliant!!
    Darlene
    http://whosaprettygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene. The location was a spare of the moment idea. It worked out nicely.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful outfit:)))
    Www.chicroe.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post, your outfit, the setting you chose, and your attitude. Wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Love the outfit and especially your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I went short 13 years ago and decided to let my silver shine last year. I'm glad I did!

      Delete
  10. I think that adult "play" is one of the most important things we can do for ourselves. It refreshes the mind and the spirit.

    I love the bold pants with the flirty stripes on the peplum. As always, I'm jealous you can wear such amazing shoes. My feet wouldn't have it for more than 10 minutes.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne! These shoes are very comfortable. They don't feel high at all. And I completely agree about the play time.

      Delete
  11. So glad your inner child comes out to play so often, so very good for the soul. Wonderful bright colour for playtime, plus some very adult shoes. Thankyou for sharing about Iris, I hope to catch it if it ever comes here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. You'll enjoy Iris. She has such a zest for life!

      Delete
  12. First, let's talk about your hair. Love love love it! That silver is so pretty on you. Mine is finally starting to come through and I'm pretty happy. Happier than I thought I'd be a few years ago.

    Love the peplum type top. So cute.

    And the silver shoes are just fun!

    Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Daenel. The more the silver shows through - the more I love it. Enjoy your silvery journey :)

      Delete
  13. Glenda, I just LOOOOOVE this outfit! So cool, playful, free spirited and yummy (the color and the stripes, oh just so great together)! You look like a playful kid, perfect location too. :)

    I adore Iris - must see the film. (I already have a favorite film called Iris, though that one is about a writer.)

    Hugses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you watching Iris with a big, beautiful grin on your face. I did! Thank you about the outfit. I must say, I adore it too :)

      Delete
  14. Glenda,
    I so relate to your mood! My last post , I dressed in a happy and carefree way and it was FUN! Love the red denim + the fabulous Zara stripes; a great pair , and you know how much I love the shoes, the perfect point at the end of a great outfit!
    Love the bird,
    Lucky, at this age, to have some time with little commitments!
    Better still, the ability to enjoy it!!!
    xx, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relish in my uncommitted times, Elle. I'm like a kid in a candy store...clothing store :)
      This outfit truly made me smile. I'm looking forward to wearing it again!

      Delete
  15. Love this dressed up casual look, Glenda.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lenya! It truly was fun to wear.

      Delete
  16. A playful spirit s never in a rush...Easy does it, and you executed that message with you lovely outfit and attitude. What a cute location. Those pumps sure worked perfectly with the look. Very nice!

    Oh Iris, she is a legend!

    http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Busola. I had fun posing at this location.

      Delete
  17. You are just too dang cute! I want to join you for fun at the park right this minute, although I can guarantee I wouldn't look near are stylish in my play clothes. Love those silver pumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I bet you would look as stylish. Thank you, Trina!

      Delete
  18. I think this is indeed a playful outfit. It looks so cheerful. I would wear it immediately (just need sleeves with it).
    I bet you had a hard time with those heels and the little holes in the steps of the playground.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walked carefully, Greetje! And thank you. I felt very playful in this look.

      Delete
  19. Glenda you always knock it out of the park with your outfits! I love your top paired with the red pants. And I maybe bias but I love your heels (I have them too).

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Alice. I found the shoes on eBay for a major steal. Would you believe $15! They're so comfortable.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda