5.06.2015

Get Shorty

My high school boyfriend called me Gidget (Girl Midget) as a nickname. I never viewed this as an insult, rather, I felt it was more of a term of endearment (I know today, referring to someone as that word is politically incorrect). I believe I stopped growing in the 6th grade...or maybe sooner than that. Frankly, I don't really remember. I guess it just doesn't matter. Why? Well, I rather like being a shorty. Being short has its perks and a few inconveniences. 

Inconveniences:
  • I have to find a tall person to get things from the high shelf in the stores (sometimes embarrassing);
  • The sun-visor in the automobiles don't work for me (not long enough);
  • I'm usually referred to as cute or adorable;
  • Someone tall sitting in front of me in the theater;
  • Alterations can get expensive.
Perks:
  • I can wear high heels without worrying about being taller than my husband;
  • Long tops can make really cute dresses;
  • I don't have to worry about getting hit by tree branches (just kidding);
  • Designers and stores are coming out with really cute nice petite lines;
  • Because of my short legs, I can get away with wearing short-shorts!
Such is the case for the super adorable shorts popping up all over the place this spring/summer. To my taller friends, a 4 inch inseam may be too short, but for me, it hits mid-thigh. Yes, I'll admit, that's still a great deal of leg on display, but with confidence, I can still pull it off. I hope you enjoy today's look.


Short-shorts paired with a billowy high/low top and a fun pair of tie-up sandals and head scarf gives my look a bohemian, "on vacation" feel. The billowy top also makes the outfit a bit more modest. With so much exposed leg, I felt more comfortable with keeping my upper torso covered. 

Outfit Details - Ikat Jacquard Riviera Shorts: Loft; Billow Sleeve Eyelet Top: Anthropologie (Purchased a few years ago. Check out the options on Shopstyle); Tie-up Sandals: Bernardo (Options on Lyst); Polish is Recessionista by Essie; Lovebird necklace purchased at a vintage store.
 





 

Hey I know, maybe someday a store will be created that places all the cool items on the bottom shelf - shelves so low that the tall people will have to get shorty to assist them {wink}

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin or Instagram or Google+
Link Up:
Fun Fashion Friday
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

22 comments:

  1. I love this look! Definitely an 'on vacation' look! You look great in the shorts Glenda. The pattern is great and I love how you styled them with the billowy top (which I can see going with just about any kind of bottom, very versatile!) The cutout design in the sleeves of the top coordinates really well with the pattern of the shorts. Just a great look1 I love shorts in the summer. I've tended to go longer, like the 'walking short' length in recent years, but you are inspiring me to try something different! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen and thank you so much for honoring me on Pam's blog. I was so touched and flattered. I also enjoy wearing the knee length walking short. They give more of a sports vibe. It depends on what type of look I'm going for. The shorter shorts seem more bohemian and beachy. I first saw the top a few years ago on the front of Anthropologie's seasonal catalog. I had to have it. I'm a sucker for a fun white top.

      Delete
  2. Such a cute look, Glenda! You were honored today on my blog in the comments ...come on by and read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam and thank you. Yes, I saw the comment from Karen. So sweet!

      Delete
  3. You look fabulous in that outfit! Love those shorts!!
    Darlene
    http://whosaprettygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene! Loft has so many cute shorts this season - it's hard to choose just one!

      Delete
  4. Love this boho look. You're right I'm 5'7" and those shorts would be way too short for me but look fabulous on you. You've definitely given me a new look at Anthropologie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so in love with Anthropologie. I have been since my teen years. My mom use to love buying my clothing from them. She thought it fit my personality perfectly. I agree. It's a great place to shop for individuality.

      Delete
  5. I swear one of my pet peeves are those stores where EVERYTHING is out of reach.

    I also bought some rather short shorts from Anthro that I don't mind wearing. They sit very low on my hips which makes them a big longer.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were a rich woman, my entire wardrobe would come from Anthro. Such cool pieces.

      Delete
  6. I think your shorts are the perfect length for you---you have great legs so might as well show them off!! Just a few years ago, I thought I was too old to wear shorts, but since blogging, I've decided life is too short to be worried about inconsequential things like that! So long live the shorts!!! jodie
    www.jtouchofstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodie! For the past year I have been working out with FitnessBlender.com and I have seen quite an improvement on my legs muscle tone. I'm quite impressed.

      I think naysayers make us feel like we shouldn't wear certain things. I don't think we should categorize everyone into the same box...especially if we all do not fit. Wear your shorts and wear them proudly!

      Delete
  7. Such a cute outfit Glenda! Love the top and those sandals are beautiful :)
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenda, you look fantastic! Love how you paired the shorts with this blouse (which is incredible), and the scarf on your head, and those sexy sandals on your legs (incredible as well!). And such an adorable pendant! Speaking of which, "cute" and "adorable" are some of my most favorite compliments - they suggest personality, they only are given to those who has charm, ability to win over your heart in the most innocent, warm and friendly way! Sooooo much more than plain "pretty"! Here, I said it! :) Much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalia. I guess I was thinking of being referred to as cute and adorable in the work environment. Then it makes me feel like a little girl. But I love and appreciate your definition and reasoning behind the two words. It makes me view it in an entirely different way. Thank you for this :)

      Delete
  9. If I had your legs, I'd be wearing shorts too! Fab and chic look. Glenda! Love your style! Thanks so much for sharing with Fun Fashion Friday!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Dawn. Nothing that a lot of squats and lunges can't cure :)

      Delete
  10. I agree, these shorts look good on you. Especially with those amazing roman sandals which are a great choice.
    Quite amazing how young you stay.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it when I found the sandals on eBay for a really good price. They look very similar the Michael Kors from his spring 2015 collection.

      Thank you about the young comment. ;)

      Delete
  11. Sorry I missed this first time around. We short women do have advantages. Adorable, so cute, so petite, are adjectives tall women I bet do not hear often. Short shorts and mini skirts are usually normal length for we petites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Haralee! I love my stature. It irks me when I see fashion stories that say, "How to look taller." Why would I want too?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda