4.19.2015

The Rancher

Accessories shouldn't be viewed as simply filler pieces, rather, they are, in themselves, major players in the game of Fashion. One bad move and your accessories can cause you to lose the game. Make the correct play and you're winning (as Charlie Sheen would say). 

My love affair with accessorizing began at an early age. As a young girl, I enjoyed our annual visits to rural Arkansas to visit my grandparents. My mother's father was a reverend, which meant my grandmother was the first lady of the church. Even in rural America, being the first lady required careful attention to one's wardrobe. In her bedroom she kept an arsenal of jewelry, hats, scarves and handbags. Come summer, when we visited, my grandmother would go into her private collection and bring out a wide assortment of pieces for her grand-daughters to take. Though there were many offspring, myself and one other cousin named Gina were the two who found such a profound thrill in having our pick from our grandmother's collection. 

Decades later, accessories still remain a vital part of my wardrobe oeuvre. Often times I come across a piece so succinct to my lifestyle, I can close my eyes and visualize how it will meld into my life. Such is the case for the rancher I recently purchased from Anthropologie. Perched on a rack in my bedroom, though I've only had the hat for a little over two weeks, the topper has already made two appearances on the blog (the first time seen on Loud & Clear). Like the other accessories and items in my wardrobe, the rancher has an interesting point of view while still managing to remain polite without over-stepping its boundaries. When I dawn this headpiece I feel adventurous, clever, earthy, and bold in a quiet sort of way. But most importantly, I feel like Glenda. Enjoy!


Today's Look - Dressed in a navy blue, 100% linen dress, the Rancher manages to capture the true essence of this laid-back but adventurous ensemble. In this outfit I am reminded of the great Australian Outback or the Chagra of Ecuador (Ecuadorian cowboys). The voluminous dress and hat make a bold statement, so I decided to decorate only one arm with a variety of sterling silver bangles. The other arm I chose to leave bare with only a simple quartz ring on a finger. With the wide brimmed hat, I wanted the earrings and necklaces to have a quiet voice - simple silver hoops and delicate chain necklaces are all that is needed. On my feet, the earthy vibe continues with a pair of silver sandals to compliment the jewelry and a nice contrast against the deep navy blue.

Outfit Details - Abroad Rancher: Anthropologie; Dress was purchased via Etsy (Options HERE); Silver bangles purchased in Mexico; Quartz ring purchased in Solvang, California;  Mirrored Silver Sandals: Zara (Old but options on Shopstyle)
 


Glenda's Accessorizing Secrets:
(Remember, these secrets are how I choose to dress myself)
  1. It is not necessary to accessorize every part of the body or outfit. Meaning, too many pieces (belt, hat, scarf, gloves, jewelry, etc) worn at the same time make for an over-produced and often junky outfit.
  2. Since I'm petite, I only make one bold accessory statement at a time. In this case, it's the hat. I would never wear the hat, a chunky necklace, bold earrings and large sunnies together.
  3. Use the 2 or 3 color rule when dressing. Meaning, when wearing a multi-colored dress, it isn't necessary to wear accessories that match every color in the dress. If the dress is bold, then keep your accessories simple by selecting one color to coordinate with. Or, stick with the metals.
  4. Accessories come in a wide range of prices - from inexpensive to very expensive. I always try to seek out quality. Poorly made pieces will cheapen the overall look of an outfit.




Dressed for the great outdoors, I enjoyed a warm and sunny afternoon of shopping and lunch in one of our beautiful outdoor shopping plazas. My Rancher provided me with the sun coverage I needed, but most importantly, I felt like my entire look was quintessential Glenda and a concise representation to the California way of living{wink}
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin or Instagram or Google+
Link Ups:
Visible Monday 
Shoe and Tell
Whitney Nic James
Fun Fashion Friday
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

41 comments:

  1. Beautiful, comfortable, classy outfit! I loved your story of Arkansas!
    xo Bry
    AncientEgyptianParanormalRomance.Naughty&Nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting to learn more about you, Glenda - both your childhood and family, and your approach to dressing. You look comfortable under the heat of California sun, and peaceful. Love your chunky bracelets with this dress and sexy sandals! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalia. I enjoy sharing the story about my grandmother. Very happy times.

      Delete
  3. Great dress and love the way you accessorized. Enjoyed all of the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. I love the dress. Blue is one of my favorite colors. I adore your accessories, perfect for the dress. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently I'm having a love affair with blue. I don't wear it much, but I love wearing this dress.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, simple-chic dress and the hat is perfection, Glenda. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the indigo dress with the silver strappy sandals. The hat does add an earthy and bold statement, like capitalizing a letter in the beginning of a sentence.
    This look is perfected won an curated.
    How much fun you must have had with your grandmother's jewels!
    XX, Elle
    http://mydailycostume.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle! What a cool description :)

      Delete
  7. Now that is a dress a person could live in. It looks so comfortable and I love it with the silver sandals. Great choice. Very smart with the hat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes it is Joni! It is so roomy and comfortable. I love it very much.

      Delete
  8. I agree with all of your accessorizing secrets!

    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2015/04/ollie-ollie-in-come-free.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your simple dress is an absolute winner, for its stylish but cool and comfortable vibe but for me it is that hat that makes the outfit , it really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. I absolutely loved this outfit too :)

      Delete
  10. I bought a dress with the same cut from Etsy last month and I am going to try and pair it with a hat like you. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hats and I really tried (to be able to participate in Judith's/The Style Crone's Hat Attack. Alas, they don't suit me very well, they mess up my hair and get blown off.
    So I look at you and sigh........
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetje, I bet others will think otherwise regarding how you look in hats. I recall seeing you in a hat and thought you looked fantastic.

      Delete
    2. oh yes, that one white hat in Barcelona. OK that went down all right. Exception to the rule.

      Delete
  12. Great look!! I love hats and think they also impart an air of mystery. What a great dress too, looks so comfortable and cool and is perfect with your hat. I have not made friends with linen yet, but a dress like this could get me to change my mind! Your accessory tips are keepers Glenda. I'm going to post those inside my closet door as a reminder to keep things under control when I'm getting dressed! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you feel about linen. Would you believe this linen dress doesn't wrinkle much. I think because of the weight of it. I'm glad you enjoyed the accessorizing tips. Some like to pile it on, but I find that less is more.

      Delete
  13. I have always loved accessories but never wore too many hats, I do however, love how it looks on you with the maxi dress. #PersonalStyleLinkUp

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a good wide brimmed hat...especially in the sun.

    This is such a wonderful laid back look.

    The sandals really make it.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. I can't believe how much use I get from the sandals. I picked them up a couple of years ago from Zara for a cheaper than cheap price.

      Delete
  15. That dress looks SO comfortable!! and I really love those sandals. Looks like the perfect warm weather outfit to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very comfortable and so are the sandals. Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  16. You always are perfectly accessorized Glenda and I love this look! I wish so much that I could wear hats, but you either have a hat head or you don't, and I don't, but you do!

    Thank you for linking up with SHOE AND TELL on Style Nudge!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. I'm fortunate to have a hat head ;)

      Delete
  17. Awwh! Rancher-ish, allusions but not s literal response ... that's the way to speak to your inspiration. Love it, and your choices keep showing us how well you style yourself.
    Speaking of rural Arkansas ... I will never be able to wax nostalgic about it. Some day, we're getting out of here, and I can't wait. Your posts always make me miss SoCal, and I'm glad to know you are there, decorating the already lovely scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of my memories of rural Arkansas are a lovely, painted picture of nostalgia. Jan, perhaps when you escape the everyday life of it, you'll be able to see it through the same type of eyes as mine.

      When I first styled this look, I immediately thought of the cowboys of Ecuador; wearing their hats to shield them from a hard days work in the sun. I felt earthy and adventurous while the sandals anchored my look with a touch of femininity.

      Delete
  18. Glenda, lovely post. I totally agree with the love of beautiful and well chosen accessories. You did a fantastic job of showing this with your ranger, it simply adds just the right touch to your denim dress. Your Arkansas story was so heart warming. My own grandmother was from Arkansas and she also had a treasure of accessories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Trina. Spending time in Arkansas was always a great time for me. I'm glad I have those memories to cherish.

      Delete
  19. You look amazing and perfect for our SoCal heat! Love the laid back yet chic vibe of this outfit!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking cool, casual and oh so chic, Glenda! Thanks for sharing with Fun FAshion Friday!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda