4.21.2015

Chillaxing

Chillax: to chill and relax; "hang out".

Recently I messaged my youngest son, who was spending the weekend with his friend, and asked...

"What are you doing?" 
His response, "Chillaxing"

'Chillaxing,' I thought to myself. Here we go again with more slang. These kids and their made-up words. Even though I hear my share of slang; having two sons under the age of 18, I typically disregard most with "Oh brother" (insert appropriate eye-rolling here). For some strange reason, I found the word Chillaxing to be an interesting concept...To chill and relax at the same time. But you ask..."What's the difference between relaxing and chillaxing?" Here is where I believe the difference lies. To relax implies you are engaging in restful state of being - perhaps reading a book or watching television. To chillax means you are involved in a relaxing activity that may involve a friend or group of people, ie. enjoying wine tasting, concerts in the park or going to the movies. I came up with the distinction since our youth rarely engage in just relaxation, instead, they would rather spend time enjoying activities with their friends as a form of chillaxing

Today's post is dedicated to that fine, joint effort of chilling and relaxing. On the day I sported this look, we spent the day at one of Southern California's exciting places to conjugate and eat - the Anaheim Packing House. One the day of our visit, the weather was quintessential So Cal with temperatures in the high 80s and without a cloud in the sky. The House was full of people ready to dine at one or more of the eateries; the scent of food, and the sounds of talk and laughter permeated the air. It was definitely the place to be and a perfect set-up for people to engage in the art of chillaxing. Enjoy the look!


A perfect, loose fitting, bohemian top is the focal point of this relaxed look. The swing shape of the top allows for ample room to indulge the appetite, while still providing an interesting point of view with its shirred lace insets. To compliment the top, a fedora which has a band in the same shade of blue as the top. To complete the look, a classic pair of white denim walking shorts and Topsiders. A perfect combination of classic with a touch of boho and quirk.

Today's Look - Boho Lace Top; Walking Denim Shorts by Calvin Klein (Options at Loft); Sperry Topsider Sneakers: Sperry Topsider; Fedora: H&M






Residing in a State that believes in the motto - Living for the Weekend, the ritual of chillaxing becomes a rite of passage of some sort. Conversations about one's work can be somewhat dull, while sharing what you do on the weekends is of the utmost importance. So let's chat...tell me friends, what do you do to chillax? {wink}

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
You can also find me on the following Social Networks:
bloglovin or Instagram or Google+
Link Up: Fun Fashion Friday
Throwback Thursday
Photographs by Freddy and are the property of So What to Twenty!

23 comments:

  1. First of all, I love the look here for chillaxing! Perfect! And the place you ate sounds so very cool! Also, even though I'm way over here in Ohio, I completely agree that talking about what you do on the weekend is way more interesting than talking about work!! Great word, by the way. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I find that when we are free and away from our jobs, we are so much more interesting people.

      Delete
  2. I think this is a really gorgeous outfit!
    KISS!
    http://blamod.worpdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mostly RElaxing done here. Not big on groups and noise. Very occasionally we go out for a meal, or to the movies. Relax is an interesting word. Being lax again? Maybe I'll stick with chillin'!
    Lovely light outfit for a Spring outing. As I said on IG, looove the shadows on your face. xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In California, chillaxing is an art form. I love the way the picture came out too :)

      Delete
  4. That's a great look for chillaxing. That shade of blue is lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely outfit and would be great here at te moment as we are getting unusually hot spring weather (England) ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been chillaxing for years... I love this look, so comfy casual, send us some sunshine as I am sick of the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antoinette, we are so in need of rain. Please, send us some.

      Delete
  7. What a fun and kicky outfit. That top should be in my closet right now!;)
    I think I remember Dear Bernie Mack introducing that term "chillaxing" on his sitcom years ago. I have to admit, I use it here and again.

    Happy Earth, take time to chillax in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You learn something new everyday. I had no idea Bernie Mack introduced this word. Funny how it has found its way into the vocabulary of today's youth. The top is still available at Loft. Go for it, Shon!

      Delete
  8. I love that work chillaxing, and you have described it brilliantly! It looks like that is exactly what you did, looking great!
    Nora
    www.jacketsociety.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yes, Nora. We chillaxed at the Anaheim Packing House. Have you gone?

      Delete
  9. This is my life this time of year. . .Chillaxing. You look so comfy and chic here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the opposite, Neti. This time of year is far removed from extended times of chillaxing with having two sons in school. I have to be content with stolen opportunities. The summer is my official time.

      Delete
  10. Love "chillaxing". For me and my girlfriends it would be hiking and lunch. We have some great trails and quaint inns for lunch, with of course a little shopping (need to support the local economy :) ) Love your outfit, perfect for chillaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great "chillaxing" look, Glenda! My high school students use this term too.
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn! So you're familiar with the term :)

      Delete
  12. This outfit is perfect for the heat wave we are having this week. I do love wearing loose tops when it's hot, I can't stand anything sticking to me. You have perfected casual chic so well!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it really means a great deal for me to connect with my So What to Twenty friends. I hope you subscribed via email or by social media - I wouldn't want you to miss anything on our True Style journey. Stay True, Glenda